Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Attn MODS...Suggestion for a new forum

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Attn MODS...Suggestion for a new forum

Old 12-02-19, 02:37 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian25
Or c) bikepacking, which in my opinion is a type of credit card touring,
Ya got that one wrong, mate! Yes, some people are using bikepacking gear for credit card touring but people have used traditional touring gear for credit card tours as well. As originally designed, bikepacking gear was made for remote off-road touring which is the ultimate in self-sustained (or contained) touring. I’ve done a lot of “bikepacking” with either traditional bags on mountain bikes or trailers on mountain bikes or bikepacking bags on mountain bikes. All of them shared a lot of remoteness and provided few places to even use a credit card. Basically, when you are out here

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

or here

or here

DSCN1237 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

or here

if you aren’t carrying it, there’s no place to get it. About the only use a credit card has out here is to gap brakes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-02-19, 03:07 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Does that mean we need to grow beards and cover ourselves with tattoos?
I look forward to discussions on this and many other interesting questions.
Old 12-02-19, 05:06 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
If we have a Bikepacking forum, then I think there should be a Hub-and-Spoke touring forum and a Credit Card touring forum and a Short Tours touring forum and a Long Tours touring forum and an Organised tours touring forum and a Self Sufficient touring forum ... and maybe a Europe touring forum and Asia touring forum and Australian touring forum and a North American touring forum and a South American touring forum and an Africa touring forum ...

Or maybe we should just have threads for each of these.
If I can't post in a dedicated self-sufficient touring forum (the only "real" touring, lol), then I'm gonna quit & go home. 😛😁😉
Old 12-02-19, 05:22 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

What, you don't have those already? 😉

I confess, I wear a beard, but lately I've been considering losing it. 🤔 The only tattoo I have is a very small shoulder one, that I got when I was 18 & very drunk.
Old 12-02-19, 06:45 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Nope, just wear plaid and ride in sandals. Sleeveless flannel with the arms ripped off is OK too. And a bandana, thats a must.
Old 12-02-19, 07:59 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by Leebo
And a bandana, thats a must.
What color? 🤔😉
Old 12-02-19, 08:29 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
I think it's time for a new BIKEPACKING FORUM, either as a stand alone or a Touring sub-forum. ....
I made that suggestion a few years ago, nobody agreed with me. I did not do a formal recommendation within forum procedures, it was more of a suggestion within a thread.

But since then I have concluded that those that disagreed with me were right, keep it as one forum.

Bike packing generally means no racks but still carrying bags of stuff. Some would insist that it can't be on a road bike on pavement, others would say that bikepacking gear on a road bike is bikepacking just like on a mountain bike on singletrack.

But when you start seeing some people are mixing frame bags and panniers or a front handlebar harness with rear panniers, or front panniers with a rear saddle bag, it becomes quite clear that it is all just another version of touring with a wider variety of bags.
Old 12-02-19, 09:00 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I think it's just like the current trend in gravel biking with it's emphasis on road frame, drop bar, fat 700c tires. That trend is driven by races like Dirty Kanza just as bike packing highlights seat post, HB and frame bags for races like Ride the Divide/GDMTBR or Trans Am. The social media buzz is all about those configurations but we also know people ride gravel on all sorts of bikes just as people bike pack with all sorts of kit.

The kids who want to ride the wave of popularity try to emulate those few who use it to win races by buying the same gear they use. People who persist after the fad usually wind up with a more eclectic mix based on they unique needs/taste.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 12-02-19 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-03-19, 03:12 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
I think it's time for a new BIKEPACKING FORUM, either as a stand alone or a Touring sub-forum. The bikes are often different, the bags are different, the load carried is different due to bag capacity, etc.. I believe that the information in a focused forum would be extremely helpful.
Does anyone else agree, or am I the only one?

Thank you for any consideration regarding this suggestion.
Obviously this was not a popular suggestion. Thank you to those that made intelligent and thoughtful responses and to some, I won't respond to your ridiculous comments because I don't want to be banned from BF. One thing I did learn is that some of you should stop calling road bikers elitist and snobs and "look at yourself in the mirror".
I think it's time for a moderator to close this thread please.
Likes For MAK:
Old 12-03-19, 04:55 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,541 Times in 3,756 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
I think it's time for a moderator to close this thread please.
Thread closed.