Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Travel fenders

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Travel fenders

Old 08-03-17, 11:20 AM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Travel fenders

I finally got whacked with torrential rain leaving a work site in Tampa yesterday. I bought a travel fender, the SKS X-3 for the rear when I travel by plane. My stock fenders probably will not survive in the suitcase. Happy to report that it worked great. My backside was bone dry and that was working through flooded roadways. My front side...er...not so much. I remember reading a previous thread about how the frame should offer protection for the front wheel. Nope...I had water literally shooting up at me. So good recommendation for this easy on/off rear fender and asking about what works for folders in the front?
Old 08-03-17, 11:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I use planet bike's recumbent mudguards,
because a recumbent often have different rear and front wheels, they sell as an each ,
in 20" front or rear, & 16" front only , on my 16" BF Tikit they used a 2nd front on the rear .. I bought both for my 20" bike.

For my front I fabricated a bracket from 3/4"x1/8" aluminum formed and pop-riveted to the poly-carbonate mudguard..

they come with struts, but I did not use them. the center bolt thru the fork crown holds the bracket on the fork.

''''

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-03-17 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-09-17, 11:22 AM
marioval

Bikes: 2018 ChangeBike Change 612, 1989 Redline Two-Five

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This front fender works great for me. I have 26inch wheels on my folder, not sure how it will do on smaller wheels. You attach a small bracket behind the fork and fender clips to the bracket and tightens with a big plastic thumb screw. Easy on/off in seconds and fits in my backpack. Also take a look at this thread
Old 08-09-17, 07:45 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 819 Times in 568 Posts
I ordered these fenders, via a forum members recommendation, and they're fantastic for the exceptionally low price.

1 Pair 14/" 16"/ 20" Universal Front & Rear Bike Bicycle Fenders Mudguards 7 Colors Optional

The build quality is much better than I'd expected,...
Old 08-16-17, 05:08 AM
Paul Braithwait

Location: Carlisle, in England's Lake District, just a few miles south of the border with Scotland.

Bikes: A Bianchi C2C road bike, a steel framed touring bike and a Xootr Swift folder which has made the rest redundant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tds101
I ordered these fenders, via a forum members recommendation, and they're fantastic for the exceptionally low price.

1 Pair 14/" 16"/ 20" Universal Front & Rear Bike Bicycle Fenders Mudguards 7 Colors Optional

The build quality is much better than I'd expected,...
They look similar to a pair I bought on-line that were less than half the price of yours - including postage to the UK from China!

They work fine but I don't know how they make a profit with the cost of shipping.
Old 08-16-17, 05:47 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
What kind of stock fenders?

It'd be quite an accomplishment to destroy the plastic fenders my 20" dahon came with.

Packed and unpacked 4 times in a suitcase, no issues.

One caveat, I had to do a fairly extensive disassembly, (remove wheels, fenders, pedals, seatpost, bottle cages and rear der.) to get it all to fit.

Packed the fenders with the wheels.

Edit:

If this is the bike?

Other than a possible scratch, I'd find it difficult to destroy those fenders.

Last edited by SHBR; 08-16-17 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-16-17, 06:16 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Paul Braithwait
They look similar to a pair I bought on-line that were less than half the price of yours - including postage to the UK from China!

They work fine but I don't know how they make a profit with the cost of shipping.
I don't like ordering from China. I've been burned before. Besides, I get 30 days to return them to Amazon. If the quality had been lacking, or they had arrived damaged, back they would have gone. I'm quite pleased with my purchase.

And @SHBR, we're not talking about stock fenders. Read my post above, then hit the link.
Old 08-16-17, 06:35 AM
MultiplexMan

Bikes: Brompton-Vostok, Cannondale Hooligan, BF Fixie, Litespeed OBED, Cannondale Badboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've used both Planet Bike and Bike Friday fenders for my 20" (406) travel bikes.

The Bike Friday fenders are a simple affair with a single attachment point.
Old 08-16-17, 07:19 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

How does one destroy the stock fenders though?
Old 08-16-17, 07:34 AM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Our government postal services are subsidizing the postage.

It costs less to get a package from China to most cities in the US than it does from a US city to another US City---more crazy government subsidies...
Old 08-16-17, 08:51 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by SHBR
How does one destroy the stock fenders though?
I have 2 Dahon folders,...a speed D8, and a custom speed uno/3 speed conversion. Neither comes with fenders, so I purchased some.
Old 08-16-17, 12:13 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
What kind of stock fenders?

It'd be quite an accomplishment to destroy the plastic fenders my 20" dahon came with.

Packed and unpacked 4 times in a suitcase, no issues.

One caveat, I had to do a fairly extensive disassembly, (remove wheels, fenders, pedals, seatpost, bottle cages and rear der.) to get it all to fit.

Packed the fenders with the wheels.

Edit:

If this is the bike?

Other than a possible scratch, I'd find it difficult to destroy those fenders.
I am worried about the metal ties getting mashed or bent? That's why I leave them home. Also I thought I read in a previous thread that packing them was a no-no.

Last edited by kayakindude; 08-16-17 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-17-17, 03:12 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

The metal struts are just cheap bendy steel, easily bent back into shape. (like a coat hanger)

The stock fenders are good enough, there is no toe strike, they never rattle, and weight is pretty minimal as well.

I suppose in extremely cold weather they could shatter, or perhaps years of UV exposure might damage them, and even then replacements are reasonably priced. (about $6 USD in Shanghai including shipping)
Old 08-17-17, 03:36 PM
Paul Braithwait

Location: Carlisle, in England's Lake District, just a few miles south of the border with Scotland.

Bikes: A Bianchi C2C road bike, a steel framed touring bike and a Xootr Swift folder which has made the rest redundant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tds101
I don't like ordering from China. I've been burned before. Besides, I get 30 days to return them to Amazon. If the quality had been lacking, or they had arrived damaged, back they would have gone. I'm quite pleased with my purchase.

And @SHBR, we're not talking about stock fenders. Read my post above, then hit the link.
I know what you mean about ordering from China but often - even on Amazon - the products are shipped from China but don't necessarily say so in the sales blurb. I bought a cheap watch from Amazon (cheap as in less than £3.00 (UK pounds) and it came from Hong Kong! The postage must have cost more than the watch which was fitted with a genuine leather strap. I've just changed the battery and that cost more than half what the watch cost!

I also ordered a piece of audio equipment from a British firm and it was shipped from the Netherlands. I want to support home industries but you can never guarantee where the items come from.
Old 08-17-17, 03:49 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I know what you mean about ordering from China but often - even on Amazon - the products are shipped from China but don't necessarily say so in the sales blurb. I bought a cheap watch from Amazon (cheap as in less than £3.00 (UK pounds) and it came from Hong Kong! The postage must have cost more than the watch which was fitted with a genuine leather strap. I've just changed the battery and that cost more than half what the watch cost!

I also ordered a piece of audio equipment from a British firm and it was shipped from the Netherlands. I want to support home industries but you can never guarantee where the items come from.
Oh, I know that. LOL! I ordered the fenders I linked above, and they were shipped from Vava'u, Tonga. GO FIGURE! Solid quality tho, and we'll worth it. Same for the small riser handlebars I order, shipped from the same origination point. Excellent quality.

PS: I don't need to purchase only USA made products, I require QUALITY products. The world is all about international trade,...