Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Vilano Urbana vs Critical cycles judd

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 04-12-18, 07:00 AM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts

Hello,

I am in the market for a new, cheap, simple, coaster brake, lightweight 406 folder. It is for the few times we take public transportation for vacation. Hope to keep it “clean” and in the suitcase.

Main concerns are:
- Gearing, prefer 60-65 gear inches
- Seatpost height, I have extra-long 28.6, 29.2 and 30.4 seatposts in stock.

Two leading candidates are below and questions arise;
1. If I want to change gearing do I have to alter the chain?
2. Anybody know the seatpost size on the Judd?
3. Is info below correct, mostly what I surmise from reviews

Vilano Urbana Single Speed
$199
Chainring 52t-Cog 16t=61 Gear Inches
Brazz-on
Front wheel nut
Weight 21.5lb +
Tires 35lb
Tubes Schrader
Solid T handlebar
Folding pedals
Kick stand
Seat Post 31.8(?)

Critical Cycles 2643 Judd
$219
Chainring 48t-Cog 16t=56 Gear inches
No brazz-on
Front wheel QR
Weight 23 lb
Tires ?
Tubes Schrader
Handlebar release
Folding pedals
Kick stand
Seat Post ???

Thank you
Old 04-12-18, 07:35 AM
marioval

Bikes: 2018 ChangeBike Change 612, 1989 Redline Two-Five

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it matters to you the Vilano only weighs 21.5lbs. The Critical weighs 26lbs. At least according to the descriptions on amazon.
Old 04-12-18, 10:45 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
The frame hinge on the Vilano is much nicer than that on the Critical, but the Critical has a better handlebar stem and hinge.
Old 04-12-18, 12:29 PM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Yes when you change the sprocket on a single speed without a tensioner the chain must be shortened or lengthened. Same for a chain ring swap. I would suggest taking the hubs and headset apart to make sure the were provided enough grease. Bottom brackets are frequently low on grease as well, and if a cartridge BB the Bb is installed without grease which can make replacing it later very difficult.
Old 04-12-18, 02:56 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Vilano seems to have a lower quality seat post, there is a video on youtube showing a 200lb user having to replace it immediately after it bent and can see it has the lower quality saddle mounting clamp and a more basic saddle, basically looks like Vilano have gone cheap there. Does appear to have a better crankset though. Vilano has achieved a sub 10kg weight though which is impressive.

Both would be illegal to ride in the UK on the road due to the lack of a front brake. Coaster brakes can fail.

Both look great to be honest for different reasons. I know Vilano have sold fuji-ta bikes for some of their other models which have excellent frames but both frames look to have excellent welds, could well be both are fuji-ta (huge company that has a large percentage of world wide cycle sales).

Surprised neither has a chain tensioner as they are cheap to fit and make adjusting chain tension much easier.

I think the wheels maybe better on the Critical purely by looking at them. The spoke nipples look more raised and possibly double wall rims. The Vilano look more generic low end single wall rims but not sure about this.

The same user that bent the Vilano seatpost also fitted Tannus airless tyres to make the bike exceptionally low maintenance. Seemed a very good idea.

Prefering the folding mechanism of the Vilano. Would need to replace the quick release on the front wheel of the critical to prevent theft. Might need to replace the rear axle of either bike's wheel with a stronger hardened chromoly axle, although looking at the wheels this seems more likely with the Vilano.

Also have to love the Critical cycles choice of colours.

If I was buying I think I'd go the Critical route although not keen on the crankset fitted visually at least. I don't think you can go wrong with either though although the Urbana may cost more if you have to replace the seat post and saddle. So could be a false economy.
Old 04-12-18, 07:39 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Bonzo, 12Boy, Pinigis, Marioval,

Excellent insights, thank you all for responding. Note; I've re-read the posts several times, again thank you.

Still wondering the seatpost size on Critical, I ask because I already own x-long seatposts for my Nano, FS9, Raleigh Twenty(28.6,29.2,30.4) and can only ride one bike at a time. Maybe shim time.

Also note: nowhere do I find the name brand of any parts, my feeling is any production run would have different parts being sourced.

So, it may come down to who has the better frame, and they are probably the same manufacturer.

PS, I lent away my Rog Pony to our daughter's classmate who works at a college, she was super pumped.
Old 04-12-18, 07:44 PM
mirfi

To answer my own question about seatpost on the Judd - Seatpost: 30.4 Alloy Seatpost, same as the Downtube FS9.
Old 04-13-18, 01:35 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Buy both see what you prefer and then cherry pick all the best components and fit that to the frame you prefer then sell on what remains fitted to the other bike frame for $120-150 . Suspect you might end up with the Vilano frame with the majority of the components from the Critical bike except for the crankset.

Cheap chain tensioner here if you need it. Normally takes a couple of weeks to come.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/QILE...841123647.html
Old 04-13-18, 10:00 PM
mirfi

Bonzo, I hear you (and what others said). The Vilano frame and crank and everything else CC.

Really too bad about the low gearing on the CC, it's got it all, including color. But, it would be like buying a car you want, but it only comes with an underpowered engine.
Old 04-14-18, 03:55 AM
Bonzo Banana

Yes that about sums it up. Don't forget to tell us what you go for and how yet get on.
Old 04-14-18, 07:03 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 204 Posts
from another post on this forum regarding the Urbano that I posted...

I have an Urbano that I use to go the to the post office and a block away ride to the beach. it's a cheap bike... and low quality in several ways that you might find disappointing in the long run. the rear coaster hub is the lowest quality and I saw a you tube vid where the brake locked up and wouldn't release. it seems cramped to ride (i'm 5'11"), and the handlebar/stem can move around unless you tighten the crap out of the clamp. as I had a parts bin full of stuff, I changed the saddle, put on a lower geared crankset as the stock setup was to high geared for neighborhood stop and go riding. the seatpost is flimsy, too short, and placed in a seatpost shim. I ditched that for a parts bin standard folder seatpost with no shim. replaced the cheapo pedals and tires. if I didn't already have those parts, I would have looked for a used speed uno. it's a cheap bike for a specific purpose for me that I can easily wheel out the door and run to the store for some beer or whatever. toss it in the back of my beetle if I need to drop the car off for servicing. i'd post a pick but it asks for a URL so don't know how to get a pic on here otherwise.
Old 04-14-18, 07:50 PM
mirfi

Well, this is bad. I saw an ad in CL for two Italian folders for $40 total. Rode both around the block later. So, decision will be put on hold for a period of time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20180414_121023.jpg (212.8 KB, 81 views)
Old 04-14-18, 07:52 PM
mirfi

Looks like I'm researching Sicur Brevetto.
Old 04-15-18, 06:08 AM
Bonzo Banana

Those are nice old italian u-frame folders but they were always designed around being cheap to make. They tend to flex a lot as you ride and on a single speed version riding with a high cadence I imagine that wobble could be quite disconcerting. Also will be heavy. Some old bikes ride better than new ones, those aren't such bikes. Sounds like the coaster brake will probably be of better quality though than the Vilano even if 50 plus years old.

Saying that I think coaster brakes are normally meant to be full of grease but grease is expensive and many cheap Chinese bikes are very tight with regards how much grease they apply. Wouldn't surprise me if they are as tight with grease in their coaster brakes as the rest of their bikes especially as it needs a large amount anyway. Maybe the Vilano coaster brake hub needs a good service almost on delivery.

That would always be my recommendation whichever bike you buy. To give it a thorough check over and possibly service before use. It's possible the Critical Judd has the same coaster brake and reading reviews of both bikes on Amazon.com they both seem fairly low quality in some ways. Despite the Urbana actually having someone damage their frame in the Amazon.com reviews I still feel the Vilano looks like a much better frame which is the heart of the bike. The reason the frame appears to be damaged is the seatpost shim is not in the seatpost tube but above the clamp.

https://www.amazon.com/Vilano-Urbana...ews/B010RH6VYY

https://www.amazon.com/Critical-Cycl...ews/B01MYX4Y81
Old 04-15-18, 07:17 PM
mirfi

The coaster brakes on all my 40+ yo folders have been crazy dependable and actually if I find an old one will keep it in stock.
Old 05-02-18, 07:33 PM
mirfi

Vilano Urbana is the winner. Ordered today from Walmart/RoadBikeOutlet. $199, free shipping, 4 year warranty $21. ETA next week sometime. Will post pictures and specs
Old 05-08-18, 04:00 PM
mirfi

Opened new thread, Vilano Urbana Single Speed Folding Bike