Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Renting a tandem on Maui

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Renting a tandem on Maui

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-18, 04:00 PM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Renting a tandem on Maui

Does anybody know of of a place in Maui where we can rent a road tandem? We used to rent from West Maui Cycles but they no longer have a tandem.
Would like to do the West Maui loop that we have done several times before.

Thanks
Old 05-16-18, 09:08 PM
jnbrown

I found a Cannondale Los Dos at Island Biker near the airport. Will be doing the ride tomorrow
Old 05-17-18, 10:47 AM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You're brave, cycling on those roads; I have always felt a bit exposed even running on those roads!

Mark
Old 05-18-18, 02:40 PM
jnbrown

Well we did the ride yesterday. Starting from Kapalua and riding clockwise around the island. It was raining as we left and that persisted for about 45 minutes. My wife wore a plastic trash bag to keep the water and road grime off her back. Our progress was slower than in the past, due to we are not so young anymore and the bike was slower. At one point there is a wall about 18% and we walked up it as we usually have done. Shortly after that we were going up a short steep hill and as I attempted to shift into a lower gear the chain lost contact with the cassette and we fell over. Luckily we were barely moving and we landed on the shoulder which had soft grass. After that I decided to leave it in the small chainring for the remaining Big Sur like terrain so we had to coast at speeds above maybe 12 mph. Eventually the sun came out but there was also had some clouds which was good so we did not get too hot. As we made it about 2/3 of the way around the island it became apparent that we were running out of time and we were both beat up because the bike was so uncomfortable. We could not stand because of the handlebar configuration. Usually at this point in the ride there can be
a strong headwind but it wasn't too bad. We had our daughter pick us up in Lahaina. All in all still a spectacular ride but we probably won't be doing it again a rented tandem.

Old 05-26-18, 04:10 PM
Nick & Chris

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts
We were also riding tandem on Maui when you were there. We shipped our tandem there ahead of us from our bike shop in Fresno to West Maui Cycles. West Maui Cycles were great in putting it back together for us and then shipping in back home when we were done. Didn't take it with us because didn't want to lug it around the whole trip as we were going to another island where we weren't planning to ride. I agree with 124Spider about the roads. The West Maui loop had way too much traffic for my comfort. Bike shop said the only nice road route they knew of with very low traffic on Maui was the "upcountry" route on East Maui. They were right about that as it was a nice ride there and you could see it was popular with the local riders. Main reason for taking the tandem was to ride up Haleakala. Traffic on the Haleakala climb wasn't too bad and the drivers considerate. Photo of us on top of Haleakala on the "pictures of happy tandem couples" thread.
Old 10-13-19, 10:44 PM
ridesmartmaui

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jnbrown
Does anybody know of of a place in Maui where we can rent a road tandem? We used to rent from West Maui Cycles but they no longer have a tandem.
Would like to do the West Maui loop that we have done several times before.

Thanks
Aloha! If you are looking for a Tandem Electric bike you can contact RideSmart Maui Electric bikes on the West side. Unfortunately Tandem Ebike will not handle the West Maui Loop. But many visitors use the Tandem Ebike to explore Maui. There is a great blog post Exploring Maui on a Tandem Ebike.
Old 10-18-19, 11:26 AM
NewTandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck and be safe!
Old 10-18-19, 11:27 AM
NewTandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck, have fun and please be safe
Old 10-25-19, 04:29 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jnbrown
Well we did the ride yesterday. Starting from Kapalua and riding clockwise around the island. It was raining as we left and that persisted for about 45 minutes. My wife wore a plastic trash bag to keep the water and road grime off her back. Our progress was slower than in the past, due to we are not so young anymore and the bike was slower. At one point there is a wall about 18% and we walked up it as we usually have done. Shortly after that we were going up a short steep hill and as I attempted to shift into a lower gear the chain lost contact with the cassette and we fell over. Luckily we were barely moving and we landed on the shoulder which had soft grass. After that I decided to leave it in the small chainring for the remaining Big Sur like terrain so we had to coast at speeds above maybe 12 mph. Eventually the sun came out but there was also had some clouds which was good so we did not get too hot. As we made it about 2/3 of the way around the island it became apparent that we were running out of time and we were both beat up because the bike was so uncomfortable. We could not stand because of the handlebar configuration. Usually at this point in the ride there can be
a strong headwind but it wasn't too bad. We had our daughter pick us up in Lahaina. All in all still a spectacular ride but we probably won't be doing it again a rented tandem.
I did the West Maui Loop alone about a year ago. Experience was similar, started at the Ritz Kapalua and it was heavy rain all the way to Mendes Ranch.

From there it was nice until I got to the 30 junction with the wind turbines. Then it was mild headwinds up until Lahaina, followed by heavy headwinds from Kaanapali back to Kapalua.

Not a huge fan of the loop. If I were to do it all over, I'd probably ride from Kapalua clockwise to Wailuku, over and back. I'll take climbing with intermittent shade and rain over full sun exposure and headwinds all day long.