Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Help for diy conversion

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Help for diy conversion

Old 03-19-19, 11:08 AM
g.anagno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help for diy conversion

Hi there!
I am into bikes for a long time but an aspiring newbie at e bikes.
I want to convert my trekking bike to an E-Bike with a mid crank torque sensing motor.
I usually do moderately long rides (30-80 km) on asphalt roads but on a hilly landscape.
I want to expand the range of my rides. I still want to put considerable effort so will not be using the motor at high levels of assist for long time.
I picked the following combo:
TSDZ2 48v 750w 18a - VLDC 5 &
Hailong E-Bike Battery 48V 17Ah Lithium ion Battery with 30A BMS

Would anyone mind helping me with the following?
1. Is the above a good combo? Will there be any compatibility issues with motor and battery?
2. Are all cables for connecting the motor to the battery included? Will I need to solder any special sockets to the end of the cables in order to make the system work or is it plug-n-play?
3. What range should I expect (approximately) with that battery? (100 kgr total weight with battery and motor, motor in 2nd level “tour” mode, level road, no wind)
4. I consider buying a double chainring for the motor, attach one more sprocket (triple chainring) and put it to work with my existing triple middle derailer. Do you see any problem with that?
5. How long does it take for an almost empty battery to fully charge?

Please do not mind my so many questions. Looking forward for your reply and I thank you in advance for it.

George from Greece
Old 03-19-19, 11:49 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
Combo should work but be aware it's very likely that you will need to change the connector (red and black wires) on the battery or controller/motor; I've crimped pigtails (connector with wire) of the one needed to be changed successfully. You should expect about 15 watt hours per mile if you pedal consistently (mine ranges from 10 - 20) so with 864 watt hours (48 X 18), you should be good for 50+ miles IMO. Check your charger; many are 2 - 3 amp (the "experts" say that slower charging is better for the battery), so to fully charge yours, 6 - 9 hours. Obviously if the battery is discharged less, less charge time. Don't think you'll need more than one appropriate size chainring, but you can decide after installation and riding. Also, beware of discrepancies since I've read some bad reports on the "TS" (also lots of good ones).
Old 03-20-19, 03:10 PM
Dewey101

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Sports; 2017 Breezer Downtown 8 ST converted to ebike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Like 2old said. I bought a bafang BBS01 motor and generic bottle battery from different sellers so I needed to add matching connectors to the power wires coming out of the motor and the battery cradle, I had to disassemble the back of the cradle to get to the wires, I got mine from Luna with pigtails attached, but you can also get them from HobbyKing, Grin Tech, or in Europe from e-ebike-technologies.de I couldn't make crimping work so I soldered them, I found this article helpful https://www.electricbike.com/ebike-connectors/

Last edited by Dewey101; 03-20-19 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-23-19, 11:04 PM
g.anagno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow guys, thanks a lot for the thorough feedback!
Old 03-24-19, 10:04 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I use a connector from the battery cradle to the motor, only because I often connect different batteries that are in saddle bags or tied to the rear rack. If you can get someone to solder/wrap the wires for you, that's the better approach. Crimping is OK too, if you buy good parts and have the tool.

Double chain rings usually are not common on mid drives. Main reason is the chain ring extends further out when you install a mid drive, and a double/triple ring sticks it so far out, the the chain won't stay well on your bigger hub gears. People who make this work have found chain rings made with offsets to bring it closer, without hitting the motor.

I don't have a problem with not enough gears on my BBS02 mid drive conversion.

Look forward to your report when you do the conversion.