Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone make a non-QR rear skewer for 145mm hub?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-19, 12:04 AM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts

I'd really like a good-quality hex-key bolt-on non-quick-release skewer on my Co-Motion Speedster's rear hub, like the skewer that came with my front Son dynamo hub. Reasons: a bit more theft protection than please-steal-me QR hubs; ability to use torque wrench to more precisely tighten; because I always carry Allen wrenches and don't need to save a few seconds; just because I want to.
Anyone know of one? I've looked at just about all I can find and no one seems to make one long enough for 145mm dropouts.
Old 07-12-19, 03:26 PM
unikid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by sapporoguy
I'd really like a good-quality hex-key bolt-on non-quick-release skewer on my Co-Motion Speedster's rear hub, like the skewer that came with my front Son dynamo hub. Reasons: a bit more theft protection than please-steal-me QR hubs; ability to use torque wrench to more precisely tighten; because I always carry Allen wrenches and don't need to save a few seconds; just because I want to.
Anyone know of one? I've looked at just about all I can find and no one seems to make one long enough for 145mm dropouts.
Maybe try here: https://robertaxleproject.com/
Maybe try here: https://hexlox.com/collections/hexlo...el-attachments
If you scroll down on the page, it says the following: "We have an extra long skewer that works for 'Outside Fork Width' of up to 167mm. This needs to be bought separately here. Note! this axle needs a #4mm Hexlox."
Old 11-08-19, 12:40 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
What did you decide to do on this? I've been wondering if something was designed to use in place of the quick release that is set-up like a thru axle? I've moved the lever to the drive side on the front of our Speedster to get the lever away from the brake disc. It hit me wondering if they made something that would slip through that used a Allen key.
Old 11-08-19, 12:49 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,498 Posts
???

https://www.treefortbikes.com/Surly-...SABEgI4rvD_BwE
Old 11-10-19, 09:23 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

I still haven’t found a solution. This looks interesting but I can’t find info on length.
Old 11-11-19, 12:16 AM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I mean....like...maybe..
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/pitlock.php
Old 11-11-19, 09:25 AM
unikid

Why didn't the hexlox I mentioned above not work?
Old 11-14-19, 11:44 AM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
The reason for this is that you are worried the rear wheel will be stolen?

Hmm, when I park our shabby ride for an extended away time, I run cable locks through both wheels and the frame. Also do the same for our rear hitch rack, locking it to the car. I sure would not consider a hex key sufficient deterrent to ward off thieves.

Is your area known for having rear wheels stolen while leaving the rest of the bike alone?
Old 11-14-19, 12:45 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
I was more interested in a different way to fix the wheel rather than a quick release tab. Was wondering if maybe a hex key try option might be out there. I keep my front wheel very tight and had to move the lever to the drive-side to get it away from the disc. I was just thinking maybe a sort-of-through-axle type set-up was out there.

Per unkid this one does look interesting though might only work on the front. https://hexlox.com/collections/ready...tal-skewer-set

Last edited by Paul J; 11-14-19 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-14-19, 06:18 PM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure what brand hubs and such you have. Would it not be easier, assuming the hubs are reasonably high quality, to obtain a new axle and thread it internally then use two short bolts. Similar to Fun Bolts setup from Chris King.
Old 11-14-19, 06:56 PM
unikid

Originally Posted by Paul J
I was more interested in a different way to fix the wheel rather than a quick release tab. Was wondering if maybe a hex key try option might be out there. I keep my front wheel very tight and had to move the lever to the drive-side to get it away from the disc. I was just thinking maybe a sort-of-through-axle type set-up was out there.

Per unkid this one does look interesting though might only work on the front. https://hexlox.com/collections/ready...tal-skewer-set
If you don't care about the security lock feature, then I think all you need is the base skewer like this: https://hexlox.com/collections/prote...ty-bike-skewer
If you scroll down on that page there is a nice video at the bottom that explains how they work.

Unfortunately that page doesn't allow you to choose anything larger than standard Road or MTB sizes.
So I contacted Hexlox support directly using the red chat button on the bottom of the page to see if they could explain where the extra long options are.

They replied back with some helpful answers the next morning which I have reformatted and posted below:

Here is the link for the extra long rear skewer M5 x 180mm (up to 167mm external dropout width): https://hexlox.com/products/bolts?_p...=8139953045609.
Note this is just the skewer and not the end pieces (shield on one side, nut on the other side).

"The shield and nut is an extra 2.5 € for those. We do not list them on our website we supply these only to our business customers. However if you need them as well please also order the following product and add a note that Hikmet from support advised you to add this in order to cover the cost of shield and nut for the XL skewer: https://hexlox.com/products/bolts?_p...=8140591923305"

He did not specifically mention but my guess is you might be able to specify either black or silver for the shield and nut like is listed on the first link above.

Note: if you want to add the Hexlox feature as well be sure to order the 4mm Hexlox since that is what this skewer requires.
Likes For unikid:
Old 11-19-19, 01:52 PM
sapporoguy

Originally Posted by unikid
Why didn't the hexlox I mentioned above not work?
OP here. Sorry, I missed that post of yours. Will look closer.
Old 11-24-19, 03:34 PM
Prog

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DT Swiss makes it. They call it RWS. RWS
Plug In has a removable lever.