Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Most Important part of bike when it comes to weight?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-05-19, 05:22 PM
ryder101

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all. I'm new here. I'm wondering what is the most important thing when it comes to cycles handling overweight riders. I weigh around 102 kg. I bought a 26 Fat Tyre bike. The frame is made of alloy. The guy at the shop said it will hold up to 110 kg. I have my doubts, I have gone a few rounds on it. So far no prob seems to be there but for knowledge sake I need to know does bigger tire size or frame of the cycle matter the most when it comes to riding for heavy people. Thanks for your time in advance.
Old 12-05-19, 05:41 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Spokes. Any less than a 32 spoke rear wheel will likely not go the distance.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 12-05-19, 06:10 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
The wheels. (And tires too of course). This is where vintage bikes have a big advantage over the new stuff. BITD 36h wheels were the standard. If you weighed 250 or 300lb. you had no worries on a set of those.
Old 12-05-19, 08:51 PM
duffer1960

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Yes, a robust rear (especially the rear) wheel. The wheels as-made from the factory often don't have the spoke tensions set properly. So, find someone or DIY & set the spokes to an even, good-n-tight tension.
Old 12-06-19, 06:42 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I'll agree with the others, it's the rear wheel. If yours are 26" MTB wheels with 32 or 36 spokes, they'll be fine.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 12-06-19, 07:06 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
If you are really worried, have the shop double-check the spoke tension on both wheels.

Frames are pretty strong, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Old 12-06-19, 07:11 AM
stormpeakco

Bikes: Fatback Corvus 1X12 (27.5X 2.8" & winter 26X 4.6"), Merlin Agilis 1X11

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Is your fatty rigid, hard tail or ?
Old 12-06-19, 07:24 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
like all have said, more spokes. I weight 190 lbs. and prefer 36 spokes
Old 12-06-19, 07:26 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by ryder101
Hi all. I'm new here. I'm wondering what is the most important thing when it comes to cycles handling overweight riders. I weigh around 102 kg. I bought a 26 Fat Tyre bike. The frame is made of alloy. The guy at the shop said it will hold up to 110 kg. I have my doubts, I have gone a few rounds on it. So far no prob seems to be there but for knowledge sake I need to know does bigger tire size or frame of the cycle matter the most when it comes to riding for heavy people. Thanks for your time in advance.
102kg is only 225#. Thats hardly anything to really worry over when it comes to a new fatbike. A modern alloy fatbike frame is overbuilt(ive seen some examples of inner tube overbuilds by manufacturers, its interesting and clear as day) and it has 3+" tires to reduce stresses created from rider weight.
As pretty much everyone has said- wheels are what you need to care about. I will disagree that you need a crazy high number of spokes, though it certainly doesnt hurt. A properly tensioned wheel is way more important. 32 spokes on a 26" wheel is effectively equal to or 'better than' 36 spokes on a larger 700c wheel, when it comes to 'strength'. Quotes because those are common perception words but not really too accurate in describing what is actually happening.

You could get a wider tire if you want and that will reduce the 'stress' of the bike overall, but if your current wheels are properly build there is no need.

Also, I am shocked that an aluminum fat bike can only officially handle 110kg of weight. Thats super low for such a bike in general.
Old 12-06-19, 08:18 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
I guess it was bound to happen. Road bikes never used to mention rider weight until we all followed the anorexic racers into stupid-light frames so they could climb Mt. Everest (or the Italian/French equivalent). Mountain bikes were rugged when they were invented, then suspension came along to soak up the shocks, and tube weight went down to try to keep the overall frame weight from soaring. Fat bikes were like the original MTBs 8-10 years ago, so now it's time to see if they can't be lightened until larger riders might break them.

But machine built wheels are still the achilles heel for heavier cyclists.
Old 12-06-19, 09:18 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Spokes. Any less than a 32 spoke rear wheel will likely not go the distance.
Not just spokes but the proper spokes. There is a huge advantage in going from a 2.0mm straight spoke to a 2.0/1.8/2.0mm butted spoke and an even larger advantage with going to a 2.3/1.8/2.0 butted spoke...aka a triple butted spoke. There's about a 30% increase in strength when going from the straight spoke to the triple butted spoke. Eric Hjertberg says it's like adding 10 spokes to the wheel. I'm not sure I would go that far but it does significantly reduce broken spokes on bikes that carry heavy loads.

As a rider who weighs more than ryder101 does and puts more weight on the bike to tour, I can attest to the strength of triple butted spokes. I broke spoke regularly up until 2005 when I moved to all triple butted spokes. I haven't broken spokes since then. I tour both on- and off-road. Off-road puts much greater demand on the spokes especially when loaded. Broken spokes have just stopped being an issue.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-06-19, 09:52 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Not just spokes but the proper spokes. There is a huge advantage in going from a 2.0mm straight spoke to a 2.0/1.8/2.0mm butted spoke and an even larger advantage with going to a 2.3/1.8/2.0 butted spoke...aka a triple butted spoke. There's about a 30% increase in strength when going from the straight spoke to the triple butted spoke. Eric Hjertberg says it's like adding 10 spokes to the wheel. I'm not sure I would go that far but it does significantly reduce broken spokes on bikes that carry heavy loads.

As a rider who weighs more than ryder101 does and puts more weight on the bike to tour, I can attest to the strength of triple butted spokes. I broke spoke regularly up until 2005 when I moved to all triple butted spokes. I haven't broken spokes since then. I tour both on- and off-road. Off-road puts much greater demand on the spokes especially when loaded. Broken spokes have just stopped being an issue.
good info. I guess when you buy the wheels, look for triple butted in the description? Are these common wheels and do they come on any new bikes or are they special order? thanks
Old 12-06-19, 10:07 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
good info. I guess when you buy the wheels, look for triple butted in the description? Are these common wheels and do they come on any new bikes or are they special order? thanks
I have never seen a prebuilt triple butted spoke wheelset for sale. If they exist, its relatively rare.
Quality wheelsets with butted spokes are common, they just are not triple butted.
Old 12-06-19, 10:07 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
Special order. You usually have to build them yourself or have someone build them for you. Quality Bicycle Products (QBP) will build wheels with black DT Alpine III. Most every shop in the US has a QBP account.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-06-19, 10:12 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by ramzilla
The wheels. (And tires too of course). This is where vintage bikes have a big advantage over the new stuff. BITD 36h wheels were the standard. If you weighed 250 or 300lb. you had no worries on a set of those.
I am convinced that my current 28h front 32h rear gravel wheelset is exponentially stronger/more reliable than any 36h wheelset I have from 'BITD'. Wheelsets with double walls, butted spokes, and basically anything besides the common box section shape = stronger and more reliable.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-06-19, 10:16 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I have never seen a prebuilt triple butted spoke wheelset for sale. If they exist, its relatively rare.
Quality wheelsets with butted spokes are common, they just are not triple butted.
You are correct. However, if more people ask for them, they build demand and the spokes will get more use.

Old 12-06-19, 10:20 AM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
I'm bigger than the OP. I would ride the stock wheel until you have a problem. I have never broke a spoke but after a year or so (3,000-5,000) I will start to see where the nipple is pulling and cracking the rim. At that point I buy a better wheel.

Fyi I just got a wheelset from Hunt Wheels last month. triple butted, disc, but only 28 spokes. Hopefully they last longer than the stock 28 spoke wheels that come on $1,500 bikes.
Likes For Razorrock:
Old 12-06-19, 10:31 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Actually my comment about # of spokes applies to road bikes.

It's kind of hard to imagine getting very high stresses with a 4" tire, particularly as I rarely see them going fast.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 12-06-19, 12:27 PM
Needles

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It's a multi-variable situation with the wheels. Generally, more spokes = more strength, smaller diameter = more strength, wider rims = more strength, dual wall rims = more strength. So, going by this, if you had a 16" wheel folding bike with dual wall 3" rims and 45 spokes in each wheel, you could be pushing 600 lbs with no worries.
Old 12-06-19, 01:26 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
I weigh in at 105 kg buck naked and must use well built wheels with at least 32 spokes. Anything less and they are used up within a year. As for the bicycle frame, any material will be just fine. I have had carbon, aluminum, titanium and steel. They all have held up just fine. Only ride steel now. As for rims, double walled and eyelets are my preference. Mavic rims have served me well. Velocity as also served me well. I build my own wheels and always modify the axles to 135mm to encourage even spoke tension between drive and non drive sides. Spokes are DT Swiss 2.0 or 2.0-1.8 DB. Only use brass nipples. Aluminum nips break on me.

As for fat bikes, I have yet to see any come into the shop with problems in the wheels other than cheap hubs falling apart. The rims and spokes seem to be fine.
Old 12-06-19, 02:25 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I used to weigh as much as 220 lbs (down to like 190 now), and had a bike with the dreaded Bontrager "Paired Spoke Technology" wheels with a low spoke count. I rode them for thousands of miles, and never had an issue. I never even had to true a wheel.

Another friend of mine is about 250 lbs (guessing based on appearance), and he has been busting spokes like crazy on 28 spoke wheels. There clearly seems to be a weight in the 200's that causes problems with spokes, and it must truly depend on the exact products you are using.
Old 12-06-19, 06:05 PM
stormpeakco

Bikes: Fatback Corvus 1X12 (27.5X 2.8" & winter 26X 4.6"), Merlin Agilis 1X11

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Razorrock
I'm bigger than the OP. I would ride the stock wheel until you have a problem. I have never broke a spoke but after a year or so (3,000-5,000) I will start to see where the nipple is pulling and cracking the rim. At that point I buy a better wheel.

Fyi I just got a wheelset from Hunt Wheels last month. triple butted, disc, but only 28 spokes. Hopefully they last longer than the stock 28 spoke wheels that come on $1,500 bikes.

Last edited by stormpeakco; 12-06-19 at 06:11 PM. Reason: addendum