Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Speaking of high intensity work outs....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Speaking of high intensity work outs....

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-23, 12:35 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I know more than a few riders with sizeable aero-bellies who can kick out high speeds over distance ... their legs, lungs, and hearts are fine, and they enjoy food and beverages as well. Not a bad life. My lungs and heart are not fine, so the weight is an issue, but for some folks ... go for the gusto. Never saw an epitaph saying., "I wish I had enjoyed dessert less."

fify
Old 02-20-23, 12:42 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
LOL .... yeah, that version actually makes some sense. Thank you.
Old 02-20-23, 03:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10439 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I don't stop for water either. But I do take a few gulps of water every ten minutes while I'm riding. Usually 25 fl oz bottle lasts me for 50 minutes. I normally carry two or three bottles. Sometimes four.

If the OP hasn't got a heart doctor, I recommend one. Much better to know that your heart is in good shape than it is just to imagine it's in good shape.
I would add to this, for the OP, that 1) learning how to grab a bottle, take a big swig, and put it back without looking or wavering from your line is a useful skill worth learning and practicing, especially if you live in a desert, and 2) some people really don't like plain water. My older son is like that. If that's part of not drinking while riding, I'd suggest finding something you don't mind drinking.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-20-23, 05:21 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
There was a group ride I would do on occasion, generally 35 to 50 miles based on which sub group you stayed with. There was a guy that did the inline skating and he would roll with the group and would do his time at the front of the pace line like everyone else. The first time I saw him, I was like WTF....but he was super strong and kept pace very nicely. We generally avg 20-25 mph.
Ya, that's pretty stout. I can do about 25 in a sprint but no way could I hold that pace for more than maybe 500m. Maybe when I was younger, not now though.
Old 02-21-23, 10:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I would add to this, for the OP, that 1) learning how to grab a bottle, take a big swig, and put it back without looking or wavering from your line is a useful skill worth learning and practicing, especially if you live in a desert, and 2) some people really don't like plain water. My older son is like that. If that's part of not drinking while riding, I'd suggest finding something you don't mind drinking.
And I need to practice that skill too!

When riding in a paceline, which I don't do often enough, I am a little hesitant to take a gulp and a bottle lasts me almost 90 minutes instead of 50 minutes. So by the 3 hour mark I'm feeling the effects of not having drank enough fluids. On three hours rides solo or with just a few other's I get plenty to drink and have no issues.

The charity ride I did near the end of last summer is a good example of this. But I'll spare y'all the long story!
Old 02-21-23, 12:13 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Originally Posted by Iride01
And I need to practice that skill too!

When riding in a paceline, which I don't do often enough, I am a little hesitant to take a gulp and a bottle lasts me almost 90 minutes instead of 50 minutes. So by the 3 hour mark I'm feeling the effects of not having drank enough fluids. On three hours rides solo or with just a few other's I get plenty to drink and have no issues.

The charity ride I did near the end of last summer is a good example of this. But I'll spare y'all the long story!
I agree that learning to drink from a bottle while riding (and while riding in a paceline, if that's something you do regularly) is useful, the other option is a hydration pack.
Old 02-21-23, 01:15 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I agree that learning to drink from a bottle while riding (and while riding in a paceline, if that's something you do regularly) is useful, the other option is a hydration pack.
And before you try it in a paceline, make sure you are able to manage a drink without dropping your bottle. Wayward bottles can be dangerous -- I lost a good friend to a dropped bottle.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-21-23, 01:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I rode solo almost exclusively, but I still strive to hold my line, keep pedaling, retrieve and return without looking. If you're going to ride in a group, it's something best practiced A LOT on your own first.

That, and spitting straight down so you're not spitting on the rider behind you, so that you hit the road instead of your shoe.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-22-23, 11:45 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
High HR for effort means one's dehydrated, definitely not the opposite. She's not going to get dehydrated in a short ride like that anyway. Normal HR at top would depend on time from bottom to top, which we don't know. If I stopped suddenly at the end of a Z5 power effort, I would expect my HR to continue rising briefly. Fortunately, I've never done that. A better procedure in the OP's example is to keep riding over the top, descending while pedaling quickly at low effort. Best to keep the legs pumping blood - they do that quite nicely and it takes load off the heart. Yes, I would worry about the low HR combined with hard beating. But more likely low blood sugar than anything. Frequently eating sweets will do that, not insinuating that's her practice.

Females usually have smaller hearts than men and have higher max, resting, and cruising HRs. So 130 after an anaerobic bit is a bit unusual at her age, statistically speaking, but of course "everyone's different." If you haven't eaten anything for a few hours before a ride, have a cereal bar or something like that. I'd be curious about that highest HR the OP has seen recently during a long full gas effort. My max at 77 was 147 last summer, on a group ride chasing men much younger and stronger than I. I had to be towed home.

Ice cream is the best mid-ride food there is. It has all three macros. I'll take a Dove bar, thanks. Though on really long rides, I'd rather have a Hostess Fruit Pie - 450 calories in 5 minutes..
Old 02-22-23, 12:34 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Assuming the OP has no hidden heart problems, 130bpm is nowhere near her max HR. Either she's not measuring it properly, or she's not even remotely close to a max sustained effort -- or both.
Old 02-22-23, 02:28 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Just read the first (OP) post. So wer'e clear here, was it the heart beating wildly, or were you struggling to catch your breath? 2 different things. As I remember, you do the occasional tri. Does the same thing happen in the water where your ability to breathe is restricted? As someone else noted, it sounds like you're going anaerobic trying to make it up those hills and having trouble getting enough air to your lungs. It happens to me a lot, particularly in the water. Can't seem to get enough air. Does your nose ever start bleeding during one of the hard efforts?
Old 02-22-23, 09:22 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by seypat
Just read the first (OP) post. So wer'e clear here, was it the heart beating wildly, or were you struggling to catch your breath? 2 different things. As I remember, you do the occasional tri. Does the same thing happen in the water where your ability to breathe is restricted? As someone else noted, it sounds like you're going anaerobic trying to make it up those hills and having trouble getting enough air to your lungs. It happens to me a lot, particularly in the water. Can't seem to get enough air. Does your nose ever start bleeding during one of the hard efforts?
Nope. The only time I ever get like this is these very short max effort bursts. I wasn't really out of breath, I was breathing hard but not quite to EPOC. It was more just to let my heart settle down. I could have kept going down the other side, but the hill down is pretty steep and not completely straight. Especially after my tumble last year, I just don't have the courage to go straight into a 30+mph down hill that's a little curvy.

And just so we're clear, the 130bpm is just a guestimate. I have no idea what my heart rate really was, beyond elevated. Could have been 120, could have been 140. Can't say for sure, but I don't think it was more than that though. Maybe.
Old 02-22-23, 10:12 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Nope. The only time I ever get like this is these very short max effort bursts. I wasn't really out of breath, I was breathing hard but not quite to EPOC. It was more just to let my heart settle down. I could have kept going down the other side, but the hill down is pretty steep and not completely straight. Especially after my tumble last year, I just don't have the courage to go straight into a 30+mph down hill that's a little curvy.

And just so we're clear, the 130bpm is just a guestimate. I have no idea what my heart rate really was, beyond elevated. Could have been 120, could have been 140. Can't say for sure, but I don't think it was more than that though. Maybe.
Oh. Try using a heart rate monitor. Those which use a chest strap transmitter are very accurate and reliable. Pretty hard to figure out what's going on without one. A power meter tells you how hard you're working. A HRM tells you how your body's responding to that effort. If I could only have one, I'd pick the HRM.
Old 02-27-23, 04:41 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts

Was that guesstimate based on what you know your max HR actually is? I could probably guess my HR fairly well when near the limit, but only because I know what my max HR actually is. But if I didn't know what my max HR was, then I wouldn't have a clue in guesstimating it. Hope that makes sense!
Old 02-27-23, 06:53 PM
VegasJen

Just a quick extrapolation of 7 beats in about 3 seconds. No idea what my max is.
Old 02-27-23, 10:50 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Just a quick extrapolation of 7 beats in about 3 seconds. No idea what my max is.
try and measure over a bit longer period, at 3 seconds the rounding error could mean you’re anywhere from 120 to 180 bpm! i do 10 seconds and multiply by 6, if not wearing a HRM.
Old 02-27-23, 11:00 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by mschwett
try and measure over a bit longer period, at 3 seconds the rounding error could mean you’re anywhere from 120 to 180 bpm! i do 10 seconds and multiply by 6, if not wearing a HRM.
Ya, that really wasn't the point of my post. I'm not trying to diagnose anything here. Just a comment on the intensity of the work I was doing.
Old 02-27-23, 11:21 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Ya, that really wasn't the point of my post. I'm not trying to diagnose anything here. Just a comment on the intensity of the work I was doing.
so, the intensity of the work you were doing was somewhere from "hardly at all" at 120 to "very very" at 180. got it
Old 02-28-23, 01:44 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Heart hammering in your chest at the top of a climb? You're doing it right!

But I'd suggest an HRM if you're going to do any sustained climbs, like 30-45 minutes. It'll help you even out the effort, and avoid either blowing up long before the top, or getting to the top feeling like you could have gone harder. Sure, a power meter is better, but it's also about 5-10x more expensive!