Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

At 37 pounds this bike seems heavy and not my first choise for commuting?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-11, 10:34 AM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/...bikes-800-1269
Old 04-19-11, 10:38 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3231 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 1,440 Posts
I think the assumption of the media and marketing types when declaring something to be a "commuter" bike is that nobody would commute by bike for more than a few miles. Or maybe that anyone who commutes by bike more than a few miles is going to do other things with their bikes. The problem with these Editor's Choice kind of commuter bikes isn't that they make bad choices, it's that the category is very limited.

For getting around a flat city, that Breezer is probably great (unless you need to carry it up stairs or load it onto a bus).

Besides, they're not going to sell many ads by telling you that a '91 Trek 820 makes a good commuter.
Old 04-19-11, 10:39 AM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
You'll get two schools of thinking in this area: race bikes with racks, and do-it-all heavy duty purpose-built commuter bikes. This one falls into the latter category.

If you want to commute on a road/race bike, that's fine, but it's not made for that. 37 pounds isn't heavy for a commuter bike.
Old 04-19-11, 10:45 AM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
You'll get two schools of thinking in this area: race bikes with racks, and do-it-all heavy duty purpose-built commuter bikes. This one falls into the latter category.

If you want to commute on a road/race bike, that's fine, but it's not made for that. 37 pounds isn't heavy for a commuter bike.
+1 for that mine without bags weights 39lbs
Old 04-19-11, 10:53 AM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
My commuter bike is exactly 37 pounds. It gets to feeling a bit heavy on a steep hill when I'm 25 miles into my 30-mile round trip commute. But other than the wicked hills, 37 pounds is not a real problem. Once the bike is moving, it rolls very well. You don't even notice the extra weight. What makes the bike so heavy also makes the ride very plush. I feel no vibration, and fear no pothole.

Old 04-19-11, 10:57 AM
Andy_K 

do-it-all heavy duty purpose-built commuter bike
Such a description need not require a 35+ pound bike:

This one, which I maintain meets all the descriptives above, comes in just under 26 pounds as shown.
Old 04-19-11, 11:11 AM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not put some fenders on this bike and call it a "race" commuter?

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/...-bikes-679-725
Old 04-19-11, 11:20 AM
Fizzaly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by v70cat
Why not put some fenders on this bike and call it a "race" commuter?

I've tried several times to run road bikes in several configurations to commute on I just don't like the 700c wheels, I prefer 26" that is my preference of course, But that would make a quick and pretty good priced commuter.
Old 04-19-11, 11:21 AM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This old and tired product pushing machine is perpetuating the myth that flat bars are "comfortable". Hahahahahhahahah!!!! Try riding that pass 20 miles and tell me how your wrist/hands feel. I know it is a personal preference, but you find most seasoned riders on drop bars for a reason: More Hand positions = More comfort, not one static and unnatural "flat" bar position.
Old 04-19-11, 11:26 AM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Such a description need not require a 35+ pound bike:

This one, which I maintain meets all the descriptives above, comes in just under 26 pounds as shown.
Doesn't require a 35+ pound bike, but it's not considered "heavy" for commuting either.
Old 04-19-11, 11:30 AM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About the Breezer commuter bike at 35+ pounds. https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/...bikes-800-1269

NuVinci = Nice invention, but still in beta...too damn heavy...once they start figuring out how to lighten it, it'll be on every new bike on the market.
Old 04-19-11, 11:45 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
My commuter is around 37 pounds as well. It's the only bike I own. That weight is with fenders, rack, lights, pump and tool kit.
Old 04-19-11, 11:54 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6225 Post(s)
Liked 4,228 Times in 2,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzaly
+1 for that mine without bags weights 39lbs
Doesn't require a 35+ pound bike, but it's not considered "heavy" for commuting either.
When did neutron star material become available for bicycle frames? And why would you want to use it? Because cars want to avoid being trapped in your gravitational field and will keep away from you?

Sorry but 37 lbs is heavy for any bike...especially one that goes for $1300! Especially if it isn't designed to run down mountains at 50 mph with 8" of front and rear travel. What did Breezer do, add lead to the down tube? There really isn't any reason I can see for that bike to be so portly. Nor is there any need for a bike to weigh that much. It doesn't gain you any durability.

I've got an old steel tandem at home that doesn't go 37 lbs. I've got a touring bike built to carry me and 50+ lb of gear that doesn't even tip the scales at 30 lb. That's ready to roll out the door...not stripped down. I've got a dual suspension all mountain mountain bike that doesn't tip the scales at 30 lbs.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 04-19-11 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-19-11, 12:23 PM
Andy_K 

I consider it heavy for commuting.
Old 04-19-11, 12:31 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
I wouldn't choose that bike for my commute - the bike is best suited for relatively flat city riding, with the capacity for some hills. I also think it is pretty ugly - a poor attempt at replicating a Dutch/English/Danish town bike.

For a bike of that purpose, I actually prefer a heavier duty (and heavier weight) machine, so the 35 pounds does no bother me.
For $1300 I'd rather get a Pashley, Works Opa, or the like. For anything more than a few miles I prefer a little more of a sporty ride - more aggressive position - either drop or flat bar with little sweep - 28 or 32c tires.
For rides longer than 20 miles each way, I'd opt for more of a conventional "sport touring" road bike (quasi CX bike, for example), though I'd stay with an IGH.

My present bike is probably 30-ish pounds without panniers (but with racks, fenders, lights, dynohub, IGH, Brooks, etc), and 40+ with panniers. It does not feel sluggish on the road. I do notice on the hills, but I'm geared for it and it does not bother me. I'm not timing myself.

Last edited by canyoneagle; 04-19-11 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-19-11, 12:36 PM
Fizzaly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
When did neutron star material become available for bicycle frames? And why would you want to use it? Because cars want to avoid being trapped in your gravitational field and will keep away from you?

Sorry but 37 lbs is heavy for any bike...especially one that goes for $1300! Especially if it isn't designed to run down mountains at 50 mph with 8" of front and rear travel. What did Breezer do, add lead to the down tube? There really isn't any reason I can see for that bike to be so portly. Nor is there any need for a bike to weigh that much. It doesn't gain you any durability.

I've got an old steel tandem at home that doesn't go 37 lbs. I've got a touring bike built to carry me and 50+ lb of gear that doesn't even tip the scales at 30 lb. That's ready to roll out the door...not stripped down. I've got a dual suspension all mountain mountain bike that doesn't tip the scales at 30 lbs.
Sorry I can't afford the lighter parts, plus weight is relative as far as I'm concerned I'm not racing.
Old 04-19-11, 12:41 PM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I consider it heavy for commuting.
Me too. Way too heavy. Some of us have hills, and commutes that last longer than 10 minutes.
Old 04-19-11, 12:46 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12814 Post(s)
Liked 7,746 Times in 4,106 Posts
I'd have to draw the line at 30 lbs. without lights and water. Even that's pushing it, IMO.

Sure the Breezer has the gen. lights, but I don't think they're worth 7 lbs.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 04-19-11 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-19-11, 12:49 PM
abracapocus

Bikes: '95 Specialized Hard Rock, '03 (?) Fuji Finest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commuter is 35 lbs. nekkid. It's at least 40 with stuff and maybe more depending on how much I'm carrying. My commute is about 18mi round trip. Yes, some hills. Makes me appreciate my road bike tons when I ride it. If the cash comes my way, I'll rig a lighter hauler, but it does the job. And it's pretty much bomb proof.
Old 04-19-11, 12:55 PM
crhilton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the assumption of the media and marketing types when declaring something to be a "commuter" bike is that nobody would commute by bike for more than a few miles. Or maybe that anyone who commutes by bike more than a few miles is going to do other things with their bikes. The problem with these Editor's Choice kind of commuter bikes isn't that they make bad choices, it's that the category is very limited.

For getting around a flat city, that Breezer is probably great (unless you need to carry it up stairs or load it onto a bus).

Besides, they're not going to sell many ads by telling you that a '91 Trek 820 makes a good commuter.
I think they just see it as an opportunity to sell a different sort of gizmo. This bike comes with a CV hub and a generator hub. Which is why it looks like a $400 bike and costs $1269.

I agree though.
Old 04-19-11, 01:05 PM
dwellman
Godbotherer

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dynamo-powered front and rear lights, an integrated rear-wheel lock, fenders, and a rear rack further enhance the overall package.
That's some extra stuff to take into consideration adding to the total weight. So, I'd say it' pretty much average, right there.
Old 04-19-11, 01:08 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6225 Post(s)
Liked 4,228 Times in 2,372 Posts
Originally Posted by Fizzaly
Sorry I can't afford the lighter parts, plus weight is relative as far as I'm concerned I'm not racing.
Originally Posted by abracapocus
My commuter is 35 lbs. nekkid. It's at least 40 with stuff and maybe more depending on how much I'm carrying. My commute is about 18mi round trip. Yes, some hills. Makes me appreciate my road bike tons when I ride it. If the cash comes my way, I'll rig a lighter hauler, but it does the job. And it's pretty much bomb proof.
You both seem to be missing the point. I'm sure neither of you nor anyone else here paid $1300 for your 35 lb bikes. We aren't talking about a bike that is inexpensive with lots of steel parts to keep the cost down. It's an expensive bike that weighs way, way, way too much for no apparent reason.

I'm not running down your bikes nor the circumstances that require you to ride less expensive and heavier bikes. But this bike isn't being marketed towards you or your circumstances.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-19-11, 01:14 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
That bike wouldn't be my choice at all for many reasons, but I can see why Buy-cycling magazine would choose it for a commuter.

1. No deraileur + chainguard. You can ride in your nice clothes, in any weather. Low maintenance for daily use.
2. Racks for carrying your stuff to and from work. Most commuters are carrying stuff.
3. Dyno hub and lighting - no worries about batteries. Again, good for daily use.

Really, the only downside for a commuter is the weight. To me, that's a significant downside. For people who carry 40lbs of stuff everyday or only ride 3-4 miles it may not matter. I think the logic here is that commuters want low-maintenance and dont care about weight. I'm assuming the weight is all because of that funky drivetrain.

Last edited by pallen; 04-19-11 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-19-11, 01:14 PM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
No integrated lock.

(sorry, had to nit pick ;-)
Old 04-19-11, 01:26 PM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You both seem to be missing the point. I'm sure neither of you nor anyone else here paid $1300 for your 35 lb bikes. We aren't talking about a bike that is inexpensive with lots of steel parts to keep the cost down. It's an expensive bike that weighs way, way, way too much for no apparent reason.

I'm not running down your bikes nor the circumstances that require you to ride less expensive and heavier bikes. But this bike isn't being marketed towards you or your circumstances.
I agree with you there... it's overpriced for what it is. Still, 35 pounds isn't a big deal to me, but for $1300 I would expect it to weigh a lot less, or have much nicer features.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.