Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Track Tire Questions

Old 12-07-17, 05:51 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
pista Evo's ?
Pista Speed is the new version. It seems to be the go to version these days. I still have Pista Evos on my wheels but will upgrade either this season or next. This will be their 3rd season, but I only use them on the boards
Old 12-07-17, 07:31 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Speaking of Vittoria, I like the Corsa G+ 23c clinchers I've been using for a while. They go up to 145psi (I use 140).

It's hard to find a 23c clincher in local shops these days. It's really hard to find one that is rated for over 120psi.

Two thumbs up.
Old 12-07-17, 10:00 PM
JimiMimni

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
A bike shop owner that serves the track racing scene emailed me and asked what tires I’d recommend he stock for race folk like us.

I mentioned that my previous favorites were Veloflex Record and Conti Steher and I wouldn’t know what else to suggest.

Any others that you folks suggest (make, model, width) that I can pass on to him?
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Aren't the Vittoria's pretty much the benchmark racing tires? He should probably stock those. I've used nothing else on my racing wheels for years now.
Second on the Vittorias. Maybe the Pista Control, since DLV is outdoor concrete. Plus they're slightly cheaper, and should be more durable. Not a bad combo, to my mind.

If he hates his mechanics, or wants to make sure no one ever glues tubulars again, he should stock the Continentals. For what it's worth, a few of the guys out here, myself included, are riding Continental Podium TT tires on the track. Since BVV is outdoors, and the Springs track is basically outdoors (still lots of ****e in the infield at both tracks) having some actual puncture protection seems reasonable. I grabbed the 22mm version, but there are 19mm and 25mm options as well.
Old 12-11-17, 09:10 AM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question on Vittoria control track vs road. On the Vittoria website, it list the control under both the road and track sections. The road version has a 320 TPI and the track version is 290 TPI, other than that, the descriptions are pretty much the same. Anyone know if there are any other differences and if I order them, how do I make sure I am getting the track version? Both come in the 23 width and I don't want to order something and then have to deal with return/shipping.
Old 12-11-17, 11:21 AM
Monkeyfudger

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW my Vitoria Pista’s have an asymmetric tread pattern meaning there are only grooves on one side of the tyre, Control’s describe the same tread pattern.
Old 12-13-17, 08:01 PM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
A bike shop owner that serves the track racing scene emailed me and asked what tires I’d recommend he stock for race folk like us.

I mentioned that my previous favorites were Veloflex Record and Conti Steher and I wouldn’t know what else to suggest.

Any others that you folks suggest (make, model, width) that I can pass on to him?
I've had good luck with conti sprinters both on the road and at DLV this past season. I also used the conti tempo at DLV and in Carson at nats. They've been anywhere from 22-25 width. I prefer the 25mm locally and don't notice a difference elsewhere.
Old 12-20-17, 03:17 AM
ruudlaff

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ruudlaff
Anyone got any experience of the new Vittoria Pista range since they went from Pista CS/Pista Evo CS/Pista Evo CL to Pista/Pista Control/Pista Speed?
Following on from this, managed to get a look at a set of Speeds on another guys bike at track league a few weeks ago....sooo slick. They look really delicate but everything about them screams fast.
Old 03-16-18, 03:24 PM
patrickfetzer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is your recommendation for the wood track in Carson....a good racing and training tire?
Old 03-16-18, 04:42 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patrickfetzer
What is your recommendation for the wood track in Carson....a good racing and training tire?
I use Vittoria speeds. I you want something you can also use at Encino or San Diego, go with Tempos.
Old 07-19-18, 07:59 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I flatted an almost brand new Vittoria Pista Evo CS at T-Town last week. I was doing a preride spin on my rollers just before going to the lineup for the 200, and down went the front tire. Dammit! My coach quickly changed my wheel, letting me use his IO. I'm switching to Conti Sprinters for outdoors.
Old 07-19-18, 08:42 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Sprinters are a pretty durable tire, but there are better options for racing. I think Vittoria Corsas and Conti GP4000s would be better options for an outdoor track.
Old 07-20-18, 09:41 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Sprinters are a pretty durable tire, but there are better options for racing. I think Vittoria Corsas and Conti GP4000s would be better options for an outdoor track.
I've got Corsas on my FFWD F6T's. They ARE a good tire! The Sprinters are a known quantity to me. I had one on my Zipp 950 and one on my Planet X five spoke.
Old 07-23-18, 06:11 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
If you're gonna have a disc and 5-spoke, you deserve something nicer than a Sprinter on em.
Old 07-23-18, 10:47 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by queerpunk
If you're gonna have a disc and 5-spoke, you deserve something nicer than a Sprinter on em.
Corsa's, maybe? They're only going to be on there for Districts at Hellyer, and then Pista Evos will go on for Worlds.
Old 07-23-18, 10:55 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

@queerpunk, you inspired me to root through my Track Stuff Vault, and I have on hand a 19MM Podium TT (along with 19MM Sprinters, and spare Evo's). What's your opinion of that tire?
Old 07-23-18, 11:32 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I used a Podium TT for a while - durable and definitely faster and better-feeling than the Sprinter. My go-to tire is the Tempo II, which is a little nicer and lighter than the Podium.
Old 07-23-18, 02:23 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I used a Podium TT for a while - durable and definitely faster and better-feeling than the Sprinter. My go-to tire is the Tempo II, which is a little nicer and lighter than the Podium.
Cool! Thank you!!
Old 08-27-18, 11:24 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JimiMimni
If he hates his mechanics, or wants to make sure no one ever glues tubulars again, he should stock the Continentals.
The trick to gluing Contis with cotton base tape is to wet the base tape with water and stretch them overnight on your wheels. The tape will stay stretched and they'll be much less of a mess to put on once the glue is applied. (learned that from PinkFixie). If you live someplace humid it might take more than a day for the base tape to dry - here in SoCal it's pretty quick.
Old 08-28-18, 04:14 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by bitingduck
The trick to gluing Contis with cotton base tape is to wet the base tape with water and stretch them overnight on your wheels. The tape will stay stretched and they'll be much less of a mess to put on once the glue is applied. (learned that from PinkFixie). If you live someplace humid it might take more than a day for the base tape to dry - here in SoCal it's pretty quick.
Thanks, I'm going to try this on my next Conti. My usual (loooong) way was to stretch them on an old rim for a week or so, glue them, stretch them again (gluing them always seemed to shrink them back a bit) then mount. Definitely not time efficient.
Old 08-29-18, 10:00 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I am sure people will start throwing things at me for this, one method I have used with Contis is to wet the base tape as stated above, and then using a Jeep tire jack to stretch the tire. It gives you more stretch than a rim or wheel, but does not appear to affect the roundness of the tire once it is glued. I am turning my shields at full power now.

Last edited by rensho3; 08-29-18 at 10:02 AM. Reason: another thought
Old 08-29-18, 08:26 PM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Quick tire question: many of us used to use 3M Fastack to glue tires if we had to race again in a short amount of time. Is there anything like that now people are using?
Old 08-30-18, 12:52 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by rensho3
While I am sure people will start throwing things at me for this, one method I have used with Contis is to wet the base tape as stated above, and then using a Jeep tire jack to stretch the tire. It gives you more stretch than a rim or wheel, but does not appear to affect the roundness of the tire once it is glued. I am turning my shields at full power now.
I just threw something at you.
Old 08-30-18, 05:31 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by rensho3
Shade. That's what the kids are throwing these days.
Old 08-30-18, 09:51 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by tobukog
Quick tire question: many of us used to use 3M Fastack to glue tires if we had to race again in a short amount of time. Is there anything like that now people are using?
Fast Tack is still available https://www.e-aircraftsupply.com/pro...00051135080313

Last edited by taras0000; 08-31-18 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-30-18, 04:52 PM
rensho3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Morelock
Shade. That's what the kids are throwing these days.
LOL-I can't figure out how to multiquote, so this for Baby Puke too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.