Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is cycling an expensive hobby?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-19, 01:17 PM
TheRef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

I'm hijacking my reply on another thread to create a discussion about the cost of cycling compared to some other common hobbies people have. I argue that after the initial investment which can be as large or as small as you'd like cycling can be quite an affordable pleasure. Not even counting the hidden benefits of cycling, such as better fitness, less stress, not turning into a jerk etc.

So what do you say? Compare only with your other hobbies and activities how does cycling fare?

Originally Posted by TheRef
I don't know how many hobbies can be cheaper than Cycling. Certainly none of my current or previous hobbies. Fishing comes to mind. One can buy a cheap rod and reel and use worms for bait for close to nothing. Some states require a annual fishing license for like $% bucks or something. I have two neighbors who love fishing. One complains he has to pay the $5 bucks for the license an brags that he goes years at time without paying and laughs he never got caught fishing on the local lakes, pounds and rivers. The other goes on trips, owns a fishing boat, buys all the latest and greatest gear (Did you know Shimano makes reels in different levels just like SORA, Tiagra, Dura-Ace like bicycles?)
Same hobby, two different types of "customers". Same with bicycles.
Of all of my Hobbies my wife would agree cycling is the cheapest even though I love to look and buy stuff.
Here is my quick list:
Coffee - I love to go to a decent coffee shop to read a book and relax. Usually during the winter. That and my almost daily Stabucks trip.
Books and Magazines. - I love to read. Sure I use the library to check out books for free but I like to make notes and keep some books for my personal collection. I spend a lot more on books yearly than on cycling.
Music.--- That's one I don't spend a lot of money anymore. Just like books I used to buy a lot of records and CD. Today I have a $14.99/mo Apple music family Subscription and that's enough.
Movies--- I used to go to the Theaters a lot sometimes a couple of times per week. Due to long hours at work, Family activities/ kids sports. I don't go as much anymore. Still When the 4 of us go to see a movie it can be over $60 bucks easily. I suspect I spend more at the movies than on cycling.
TV/home entertainment -- After the cable/internet, Amazon Prime (for movies), Netflix, HBO and Showtime... (I should cut all or some but hey.. It's winter 5 mouths out of the winter here.
Concerts -- I try to go to a couple concerts every year. Have you seen the price of a good concert lately?
Motorcycling --- I used to be into motorbikes, I used to do a few track days every summer-- Haven't done in over 10 years just when I sold my motorcycle and bought my first motorcycle. My wife was overjoyed.

Still think cycling is expensive???
​​​​​​​
Old 02-28-19, 01:22 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
All hobbies can be expensive. It just depends on how much you get into it.
Old 02-28-19, 01:24 PM
TheRef

Originally Posted by jadocs
All hobbies can be expensive. It just depends on how much you get into it.
Right that's my point. How does it compare with your other hobbies?
Old 02-28-19, 01:26 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
It certainly can be expensive. However, it isn't necessarily so. Granted there are some up front costs, such as the purchase of a bike, appropriate attire, computer, HRM, etc. But if one is savvy and shops around they don't have to spend a fortune.
Likes For Doctor Morbius:
Old 02-28-19, 01:34 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I race my bike, which is arguably one of the more expensive ways of enjoying this hobby. There are race fees, license fees, team fees, coaching/conditioning fees, travel to races,clothing, tegaderm, etc. That doesn't even count the multiple bikes for different disciplines.

But compared to racing boats, cars, motorcycles, or planes? Mere pennies. I bet some car guys spend more on a track weekend than I do all year racing my bike.
Old 02-28-19, 01:56 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-28-19, 02:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
not turning into a jerk etc.
​​​​​​​
Don't know where that comes from. I spent 93 days on the road with 12 other people. Three of them were jerks. One of those three was the racist, alcoholic type of jerk. And I often encounter jerks during my daily commute, like the cyclists who nearly hit me because I stop for traffic lights about to turn red at busy intersections.
Old 02-28-19, 02:01 PM
TheRef

Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
It certainly can be expensive. However, it isn't necessarily so. Granted there are some up front costs, such as the purchase of a bike, appropriate attire, computer, HRM, etc. But if one is savvy and shops around they don't have to spend a fortune.
The initial investment and add-ons that some may consider a necessity can get pricy. But after all of that is bought the act of cycling itself is free or very inexpensive. Golf has all the same initial investment in equipment and gear and you still have to pay EVERY TIME you want to go golf unless you have a private golf course.
Old 02-28-19, 02:06 PM
TheRef

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Don't know where that comes from. I spent 93 days on the road with 12 other people. Three of them were jerks. One of those three was the racist, alcoholic type of jerk. And I often encounter jerks during my daily commute, like the cyclists who nearly hit me because I stop for traffic lights about to turn red at busy intersections.
LOL. I listed that as a benefit of riding. I've been told by my wife and kids that when I'm very stressed I can turn into a bit of a Jerk and riding is a very good thing to get me into my Zen self. The running joke around the house is that " Daddy needs to go for a ride!"
Likes For TheRef:
Old 02-28-19, 02:14 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
So once you buy the bike, the cloths and the rest of the gear, it's dirt cheap. When I do a 50 mile ride my only cost is 2 GU jells and tap water. So my cost per ride is about $2.

Now if you factor in the cost of the bike, cloths and gear i'm under $1 per mile since I have over 22,000 miles on my bike since 2015.
Old 02-28-19, 02:14 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
All things considered, cycling isn't that bad. Speaking for road cycling - my primary discipline - it is possible to get into an entry level road bike or very nice used bike (carbon, 105, etc.), add pedals, shoes, upgraded tires, a saddle, and some clothing, for ~$1,000 - $1,500. One can actually do it for far less money than even that - as I did for a number of years - but it will not be as fast or comfortable.

I probably spent about the same to start my other hobby, drumming. An entry level or nice used kit, better heads, and a few cymbals that do not sound like utter garbage runs ~$1,000-$1,500. My SO is a guitarist (rock/metal), and his costs were similar for a decent guitar, amp, and pedal or two. (Obviously acoustic people can get started for much less.)

I tried photography once, and dropped it pretty quickly. The cost of a good camera and various lenses got very out of control very quickly. I think cycling is a better value - I get hundreds of hours of enjoyment each year for relatively little, and as an added bonus, I can cut down a bit on transpo costs by using the bike as a vehicle.

With any of these hobbies, the sky is the limit. I keep going n+1 on my bikes, and now have four bikes for different conditions plus various gadgets to measure performance. Events usually cost money (and racing is even more - as @caloso brings up.) I want n+1 cymbals and a better drumkit, and my SO wants n+1 guitars and pedals and a better amp.
Old 02-28-19, 02:16 PM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I like to scuba dive, drive fast cars and collect and listen to music. Beyond that I ride over 5k/year and used to tour every couple of years. Bottom line - cycling is probably the cheapest, but still not cheap. The universal answer applies - it depends.
Old 02-28-19, 02:23 PM
5teve

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Other hobbies?
Old 02-28-19, 02:32 PM
Honusms 

Bikes: More than my husband knows about

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
I do underwater photography - mostly in the southwestern Pacific. (Live in north Texas). So considering the dive gear, travel costs including outrageous excess baggage fees, incredibly expensive cameras and underwater lighting and housings ,,,, Cycling is almost a pittance by comparison.
Old 02-28-19, 02:36 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Not expensive, unless you want it to be. We can get into accessories and equipment but it's not at all necessary at any level of cycling.

I'll spend more in one weekend at another hobby than an entire year of cycling. And that includes bike purchases.

*Mostly it's expensive for racers.

Last edited by wphamilton; 09-02-20 at 07:58 AM. Reason: *edited to add/remove snark.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 02-28-19, 02:45 PM
jadocs

Just as expensive. Everyone has different levels of "want". For example, you speak about the upfront cost of just getting a bike. It can turn into a lot more than that.....a better bike, a "rain" or winter bike, a cross bike, a MTB, better wheels, different wheels, better shoes, updating the groupset, indoor trainer which can turn into a smart trainer, then zwift or trainer road, etc., etc.

It's not cheap unless you are a casual cyclist.
Old 02-28-19, 03:10 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Just as expensive. Everyone has different levels of "want". For example, you speak about the upfront cost of just getting a bike. It can turn into a lot more than that.....a better bike, a "rain" or winter bike, a cross bike, a MTB, better wheels, different wheels, better shoes, updating the groupset, indoor trainer which can turn into a smart trainer, then zwift or trainer road, etc., etc.

Even then, that's subjective. Whats Cheap? My bike was entry level and the Jones h loop handle bars were not. Someone who buys a BSO from Walmart would think my bike is expensive. I consider myself a casual cyclist, but the fact I ride in the winter and often ride 5 days a week cause some people to think I'm an actual cyclist. While I don't want to apply the label cheap to my cycling, I have managed to make it very affordable. I agree, we can make it as expensive or affordable as we want, but as soon as it starts replacing the car it starts paying back the initial investment.
Old 02-28-19, 03:17 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Prior to cycling, I was spending a lot of time motorcycling. Compared to that cycling seems really inexpensive. Plenty of things in common (bike, helmet, gloves, clothing, etc.) but it all costs way more except maybe the helmet. Bike helmets for what they are seem incredibly expensive to me.

As far as costs go, pretty much everyone I've ever known had a hobby or interest that they spent a fair amount of money on and was considered frivolous by people not involved in that activity. As long as you can afford it, do what makes you happy.
Old 02-28-19, 03:22 PM
jadocs

Originally Posted by baldilocks
Even then, that's subjective. Whats Cheap? My bike was entry level and the Jones h loop handle bars were not. Someone who buys a BSO from Walmart would think my bike is expensive. I consider myself a casual cyclist, but the fact I ride in the winter and often ride 5 days a week cause some people to think I'm an actual cyclist. While I don't want to apply the label cheap to my cycling, I have managed to make it very affordable. I agree, we can make it as expensive or affordable as we want, but as soon as it starts replacing the car it starts paying back the initial investment.
Agree, "cheap" was a bad word choice. Expensive or affordable is better....but then again that is also subjective. Maybe "money pit" would be a better word.
Old 02-28-19, 03:27 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
The initial investment and add-ons that some may consider a necessity can get pricy. But after all of that is bought the act of cycling itself is free or very inexpensive. Golf has all the same initial investment in equipment and gear and you still have to pay EVERY TIME you want to go golf unless you have a private golf course.
True. And I understand that green fees ain't cheap neither.
Old 02-28-19, 03:33 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
cycling is super cheap compared to my pistol collection habit. However is really damn expensive compared to my wife's puzzle putting together hobby.
Old 02-28-19, 03:43 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Cycling is cheap compared to performance cars.
Old 02-28-19, 03:53 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Spending these winter days reading about Norma Jean Belloff & Fred Birchmore's epic rides on one speed, coaster brake bikes...
Old 02-28-19, 04:08 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Like any hobby, it's cost is what one is willing to spend. What is expensive for one person is low cost for another. For me, the cost of my cycling is well worth it.
Old 02-28-19, 04:22 PM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
My other hobby is racing sailboats. Cycling, even at the highest level, is super cheap compared to that. Easily spend $10K-$15K a year on sails alone, not to mention dockage, finishing the hull, paying a diver to clean the bottom each week, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.