Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Diabetics?

Old 06-01-19, 02:29 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by oldfatboy
OldsCOOL, thanks for your post!
lol, there's not a lot of ride hard in me. I'm trying to ride longer distance with some slight inclines/hills to gain some stamina along with some muscle building in my legs. I was able to ride 20 miles last week. lol, been a number of years since I did that Just learning how much time to let my body rest between rides.
Do you have neuropathy? It's getting worse in my feet. At times, don't feel the pedals, then look down and I'm pedaling on my heels. Will have to change pedals some time.
I generally go out with blood sugar between 80 and 110. That's basically because I prefer going out early in the mornings. Here, at that time, temps are high 30's to mid 40's. I carry drinks and couple sweets but don't know if I really need to. Most my legs can do is about 2 hrs of riding, then they're done. But I'll still carry something any way.

I'm glad for different suggestions. Everybody is different, but can learn from different ideas or modus operandi.

Godspeed!
No neuropathy, thank God. So far, so good. I have been a road rider since the early 70’s but laid off in adult years until 2005 when a friend gave me a classic/vintage Trek road racer and I recaptured the race heritage of those early years. Getting conditioned will take you a while but for this season of a new insulin learning curve, keep close tabs on your numbers. You will need less insulin as stated in earlier posts. Be patient and you might find yourself with a new passion.
Old 06-01-19, 04:04 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
My wife, JoLynn had a heart attack in Jan. and that brought on Type II diabetes, she's taking a "sliding scale" insulin and a Jovia pill. We carry her insulin in a bag with a small ice pack to keep the temp below 86 degrees (F). So far we have to worry more about her Blood Sugar going "TOO LOW" with the exercising! I make sure she has something to eat "every 10 miles" to keep the blood sugar level up above 90 as she seems to get ill and weak if it goes below 90!! You have to just, bring your "tester/strips/insulin" and test yourself till you find out how YOU do when exercising. We eat a low carb diet for both her heart rehab and her diabetes. It's not easy but it's doable! FYI.

Old 06-02-19, 06:39 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
alloo,
good work.
Do you do anything different with your insulin for riding? Any precautions?

fwiw, I lost 35 - 40lb and with diet change, dropped my insulin intake about 65%
I take lantus solostar
I take 10 units less of Humulin R. Also Humulin N has been reduced on both ends to 108 Breakfast and 88 Dinner.
Old 06-04-19, 01:32 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Three years ago, I was diagnosed as a type 2 Diabetic. I had an A1C of 8.9 and I weighed 250. I went low carb/high fat and took up cycling. I lost 50 lbs, and my last A1C was 4.7. I ride endurance ride including a 140 mile charity ride last year. On that ride during lunch, my wife brought me a steak salad. People were saying "dude, you've gotta carb up or you're gonna die". I did fine eating low carb throughout the day. I was on Metformin initially but went off it after 3 months and I take no drugs or use insulin and I am able to keep my BSugar under 100.
Likes For Sojodave:
Old 06-04-19, 08:03 PM
oldfatboy

Bikes: Trek Verve 3, Schwinn Mountain Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Congratulations sojodave, and thanks for sharing.
I thoroughly enjoy reading about experiences dealing with diabetes and riding. Very encouraging.
lol, today I rode for 17 miles and an overall elevation of 450'. My legs were very tired at the end
I have a long ways to go to get in shape and learn how to adjust nutrition/insulin for my system.
Old 06-05-19, 06:14 AM
EaOutlaw1969

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Sorry guys I am not 50 yet July 12th will be the big day for me, I have a bad back and neck, stents, and lots of hardware in my neck and back from surgeries on top of this I have type 2 diabetes which my A1C from my last blood test was 9.7.
It has been hard to stay active because of my spine problems and out of control blood sugar. I have been doing my best lately to keep up with my meds and I try everyday to get some sort of work out in but I will say with neuropathy from both my spine problems and diabetes I find it impossible to ride more than 2-3 miles every other day and even then it is so easy to over do it which can take me down for weeks at a time or longer I end up not pushing myself to avoid adding to the everyday pain I have to endure.

I did buy a cheap pedal machine that I keep near the couch for days when it hurts too much to ride I can at least get a work out while sitting on the couch.

I will say when i found out how high my A1C was I went on a low to no carb diet but I was loosing too much weight too fast, So I have been trying to balance my food- carb intake which seems to help some.
Likes For EaOutlaw1969:
Old 06-08-19, 12:49 PM
slowpacer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Hi, i'm a 60 year old male and i have type 2 diabetes and neuropathy (pain in my feet). One year ago i was rushed to ER because i could hardly breath. Turned out i had congestive heart failure accompanied with a couple of heart attacks. I was also diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, A1C of 11. They put in 8 stents in my heart arteries because all 3 of them were 90% blocked.

I had so much pain in my feet because of diabetes that i used a cane to walk for a few months after my procedures. And was prescribed insulin injections 4 times a day along with 2000mg of metformin per day. I still have pain but much much much less and i don't inject insulin anymore, nor take metformin on regular basis. I walk 2 miles a day since then even when i had to do it using a cane, and now i'm able to ride my bike.

I attribute my comeback mostly to vegetarian diet and regular exercise and of course to medical field. That said i do have a big burger and ice cream every now and then.
Likes For slowpacer:
Old 06-08-19, 11:12 PM
oldfatboy

EaOutlaw1969 and slowpacer, thank you for your posts.
I have friends and family members that don't understand the neuropathy pain.
So glad you guys are doing better.

Today I got on one of my unicycles that have been in storage for quite a while. Don't know if I'll do any good riding them due to theloss of feeling in my feet, but I'm trying any way
I'd love to ride them, but if not, I'll still be riding my bikes.
Old 06-24-19, 05:42 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
After a couple month of commuting every other day. My insulin doses are being decreased. My blood sugars are hitting more lows. I finally bought my ebike and it has cut my commute down to 50 mins each way. Previously, I was commuting 50 mins, and 1 hour 10-20 mins. The ebike is a lot easier on the ride home. 15 MPH is fast on a bike trail. I started weighing 255 lbs, now I am near 248 lbs and it's decreasing. My goal is to lose 100 lbs by next summer.

My endochronologist has adjusted my insulin levels 3 times to lower it. My current insulin units are: Humulin N dose is 90 Breakfast, 80 Dinner. Humulin R 16-18 if I meet my carb limits B 65g, L, D 40g. On Biking days B, L Humulin R 12-14; D 10-12 units. I also take glipizide, lasinopril and 1000mg Metformin.

Took my A1c on Friday 6.1 down from 7.4 3 months ago. I am stoked. I commute 2-3 days a week and ride my regular bike on my days off if the trip is less than 6 miles in one direction. So cycling and diet do help.

I am thinking about selling my Sixthreezero EvryJourney 7 Speed and replacing it with a hub driven ebike to compare the mid drive and hub drive. We will see.

Last edited by alloo; 07-01-19 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-16-19, 08:08 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
[QUOTE=Wilmingtech;20943136]

"There is a sugar free (Stevia Sweetened) electrolyte powder called ultima available on Amazon."

Any chance this is called Optimal Electrolyte ".

My doctor recommended Optimal to me, it might be the same stuff.

Thx
SB
Old 07-16-19, 02:32 PM
oldfatboy

Originally Posted by alloo
After a couple month of commuting every other day. My insulin doses are being decreased. My blood sugars are hitting more lows. I finally bought my ebike and it has cut my commute down to 50 mins each way. Previously, I was commuting 50 mins, and 1 hour 10-20 mins. The ebike is a lot easier on the ride home. 15 MPH is fast on a bike trail. I started weighing 255 lbs, now I am near 248 lbs and it's decreasing. My goal is to lose 100 lbs by next summer.

My endochronologist has adjusted my insulin levels 3 times to lower it. My current insulin units are: Humulin N dose is 90 Breakfast, 80 Dinner. Humulin R 16-18 if I meet my carb limits B 65g, L, D 40g. On Biking days B, L Humulin R 12-14; D 10-12 units. I also take glipizide, lasinopril and 1000mg Metformin.

Took my A1c on Friday 6.1 down from 7.4 3 months ago. I am stoked. I commute 2-3 days a week and ride my regular bike on my days off if the trip is less than 6 miles in one direction. So cycling and diet do help.

I am thinking about selling my Sixthreezero EvryJourney 7 Speed and replacing it with a hub driven ebike to compare the mid drive and hub drive. We will see.
Congrats alloo. I love reading how other diabetics are improving their lives. You didn't say, so I hope you don't have neuropathy also. That is miserable.
Good report. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-16-19, 10:53 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
[QUOTE=Steve B.;21029563]
Originally Posted by Wilmingtech

"There is a sugar free (Stevia Sweetened) electrolyte powder called ultima available on Amazon."

Any chance this is called Optimal Electrolyte ".

My doctor recommended Optimal to me, it might be the same stuff.

Thx
SB

30 servings

90 Servings

They look similar. The amount of and type of electrolytes might be slightly different but the 90 servings is a little cheaper at 34$ per container
Old 07-17-19, 12:49 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
[QUOTE=Wilmingt
They look similar. The amount of and type of electrolytes might be slightly different but the 90 servings is a little cheaper at 34$ per container[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll place an order and try it.

SB
Old 07-18-19, 01:06 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
I'm on 1,700mg/day of Metformin, BUT as part of my Prostate Cancer treatment protocol. Life sentence for me.
Hardly!

A wrong attitude to have. Considering what will happen to you IF you did not take the meds, I would be more positive and say it was a "Life Saving daily ritual". Your attitude towards diabetes management IS important

I say this as a 71 y.o with Type 1 diabetes since 1964. Glad to take my insulin several times a day along with other meds - and pricking my finger at least 6 times a day. Still doing unsupported bicycle touring - with a very short 7-day one in France next month.
Old 07-18-19, 02:36 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by tmac100
Type 1 diabetes since 1964
Impressive. So that's before there was home glucose testing. Were there disposable syringes, or was it boiled glass and stainless steel?
Old 07-18-19, 02:56 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Originally Posted by rseeker
Impressive. So that's before there was home glucose testing. Were there disposable syringes, or was it boiled glass and stainless steel?
State of the art stuff was little tablets (Clini-tabs I think) you placed in a test tube AFTER adding 10 drops of water to 5 drops of urine. The color told you qualitatively if you were spilling sugar or not. Later came the Clini-sticks where you just "pi**ed" on the stick and it showed a qualitative color change.

I used 32 units of NPH every morning in a glass syringe with reusable SS syringes. By 1971 they saw that "Toronto" insulin before each meal gave better control than just 1 bolus of NPH. AND, when I was in medical school in the late 1960s, there was no better info regarding management. I did leave medicine and moved on to a different calling.

Later in the early 1980s they had portable blood testers from Germany. Things have progressed since then - like the affordable disposable syringes that I use (1 daily) and cheaper blood testing strips etc.

Then the synthetic insulins came out. In 2006 I was in a research project with inhalable insulin. Too many side issues was the result.

I use Humulog before each meal (and if my blood sugars are like above 10), a split Lantace (morning 16 units, night 6 units). Glargine and asprin, etc for other issues...

I check my blood sugars 6X daily, and more if bicycling.

Last edited by tmac100; 07-18-19 at 03:10 AM.
Likes For tmac100:
Old 07-18-19, 03:04 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
Cutting carbs is a huge gain.
Do read either (or both of these books):

Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It

Good Calories, Bad Calories

this just in

Defeating type 2 diabetes with help from Virta and the Veterans Administration 7-17-19

Want to start? Try

“No Sugar, No Starch” Diet

or

Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution

Last edited by gios; 07-18-19 at 03:08 AM.
Old 07-18-19, 04:25 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
State of the art stuff was little tablets (Clini-tabs I think) you placed in a test tube AFTER adding 10 drops of water to 5 drops of urine. The color told you qualitatively if you were spilling sugar or not. Later came the Clini-sticks where you just "pi**ed" on the stick and it showed a qualitative color change.
I remember those tablets. They'd foam up and then tell you what your blood sugar was doing four hours ago. Not so great if you wanted to know what it's doing right now. Then after the Clini-stix came the stick you bled on then waited (60 seconds?) to wipe off the blood then another 60 seconds to see the resulting color. That was better. I didn't ride back then, but I took those with me on kayak trips, with a couple cotton balls with the sticks in the tube in a zip-loc in a dry bag clipped into my kayak. I think, but I'm not sure, that those were the same sticks I used with my first meter. Treatment options really have improved.

I check my blood sugars 6X daily, and more if bicycling.
Same here. One reason (out of many) that I ride solo is I'm stopping every half hour to test. I had a big ride a week ago where I had to stop for 25 minutes and wait for food to digest and get ahead of my burn rate. I can't see that working in a group setting. That's fine, solo's great.

I wonder if anybody's worked on correlating power meter data with glucose burn.
Old 07-18-19, 05:29 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
Hardly!

A wrong attitude to have. Considering what will happen to you IF you did not take the meds, I would be more positive and say it was a "Life Saving daily ritual". Your attitude towards diabetes management IS important

I say this as a 71 y.o with Type 1 diabetes since 1964. Glad to take my insulin several times a day along with other meds - and pricking my finger at least 6 times a day. Still doing unsupported bicycle touring - with a very short 7-day one in France next month.
MY attitude is spot on for my personal health. The Metformin that I take is not for diabetes but instead aggressive Prostate Cancer and as far as I am concerned it is a life sentence not a death sentence.

p.s. -- I am back from 75 miles riding so far today, quick bite and kit change because of temps/humidity and back out for 50+ more miles.

ENJOY YOUR TOUR.
Old 07-18-19, 05:39 AM
tmac100

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
MY attitude is spot on for my personal health. The Metformin that I take is not for diabetes but instead aggressive Prostate Cancer and as far as I am concerned it is a life sentence not a death sentence.

p.s. -- I am back from 75 miles riding so far today, quick bite and kit change because of temps/humidity and back out for 50+ more miles.

ENJOY YOUR TOUR.
Yes, I now better understand your "life sentence" comment. Positive, positive. We are all on a slightly different journey and must make all sorts of different efforts to extend out journey.
And, YOU enjoy your trip too 🤗👍👏
Old 07-30-19, 09:33 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
I'm getting back into riding after a long absence but have type 2 diabetes and neuropathy.
I'm curious if there are others here that are diabetic and if so, how you manage blood sugar and insulin.
I just do road biking and don't know where my feet are all the time so have to keep looking at them At times, toes are on pedals, and at times, my heels are on the pedals. I'm looking at different pedals and also clips.
Any way, just curious
I will hopefully have something useful to post here in the future. Right now , I'm just checking in to say me too. I've been uncontrolled for two years, after a short time of being controlled. Stopped due to insurance issues and depression. I started riding again , in April, it was an existential struggle, but now I'm up to 3-4x weekly, 10-20 mi per outing. I'll get batteries on my way home, and call new insurer about endocrinologist appt. Thanks for starting this thread, and to all posters. One foot in front of the other...
Eric
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 08-18-19, 07:25 PM
rudypyatt

Bikes: Windsor TimeLine; Linus Gaston 3; Sears Free Spirit

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 46 Posts
In the club

I got diagnosed in June with an A1C of 7.4. Been on 1000mg Metformin daily since then. Been back on the bike for a bit less than a month. I know that will bring my numbers down: it’s just frustrating because I have been away from riding for a couple of years due to other problems. I used to do 25 miles without a thought. Yesterday I did about half that and it was work. But I am sticking with it; birthday coming up means more motivation.
Old 10-20-19, 05:46 PM
richardwill

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello I too and Type2, 75Years old and would like to know what's involved in getting a Dexcom CGM. Are they only allowed for Type 1's that use insulin with a prescription? Thanks for your response. Rich
Old 10-24-19, 12:09 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I am type 2. Diagnosed in August 2012 by the VA who basically said "here's your pills (Metformin) go home so I cut out sugar, starch, alcohol, bread and still made my diabetes way worse in three months by drinking no sugar added fruit juice (not making the connection between fructose and glucose). That is when the VA said here is your meter and insulin... keep increasing insulin until your sugar is below 120.....

When I go riding I don't take any extra medication for my diabetes. I do take Nuun or Hammer Nutrition hydration tablets and some Hammer Nutrition Gels incase I start getting a bonk (loss of energy). I plan my rides so I can refill water every 10-15 miles and get a snack if I need one (an apple, banana, cliff bar, sandwich).

Good luck with your riding.
Old 10-24-19, 01:20 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
57, type 2, refuse to take medication!

Doc offered the meds as my A1C was 7.5. Forget the meds, I will control my diet. Dropped down to 6.1, no meds, all eating right and exercise.

I go ride 45 miles, drink 1 or 2 large bike bottles of Gatorade (powder mix). Eat a balanced meal then a couple hours later, my meter reading is 100-105.

I will not take meds unless it is positively mandatory.

From a family of diabetics, they all encourage me to take the meds. DOES ME GOOD they say but looking at them, most being amputees and other more serious problems, no thanks, I'll control my diet and exercise!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.