Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My Recovery Time is SHAT!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-07-19, 06:04 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts

As an over 50 fabulous fat and fit fella I find that I can for the most part ride pretty well but the recovery is double what is used to be. I need a nap after a good ride just to function. I am wondering if it is my new normal or is my physical abilities taking a huge hit and I just sux. Back to back long and difficult days seem almost impossible. I am actually going out today to ride the MTB after a nice 21 mile ride yesterday. Legs still have the post ride tingle.
Old 04-07-19, 06:57 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
As an over 50 fabulous fat and fit fella I find that I can for the most part ride pretty well but the recovery is double what is used to be. I need a nap after a good ride just to function. I am wondering if it is my new normal or is my physical abilities taking a huge hit and I just sux. Back to back long and difficult days seem almost impossible. I am actually going out today to ride the MTB after a nice 21 mile ride yesterday. Legs still have the post ride tingle.
Yes, planning ride time with sufficient rest and recovery is essential. Nothing wrong with a nap. I've been using the features in Strava to manage my overall effort and rest. Strava has a several features to track activity;

Last edited by Barrettscv; 04-07-19 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-07-19, 07:07 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Siesta time (nap to the rest of you guys) is one of the best things after a long, hard ride.

Enjoy mi amigo.
Old 04-07-19, 07:09 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I am beginning to notice this too, I can be sore for a week after a tough ride. Though much of the soreness goes away once I get back on the bike and am warmed up. I'm not sure if the soreness is really worse, or I'm just more aware of it than when I was in my 20's, 30's and 40's.
Old 04-07-19, 07:58 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
If recovery time is getting worse than your similarly-aged friends', have your T checked.
Old 04-07-19, 04:43 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Yes, recovery takes longer. I rode up in the mountains today - 68 mile, 7K feet climbing. I'm sure I'm in for at least a two day recovery from that.
Recovery isn't all that bad - it allows time for the gains to soak in. But consistency does take a hit; sure. A lot of the reason why I'm slower now is that I just cant put in as much training as I used to.
Old 04-08-19, 07:36 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
First of all, I'm no doctor. If you feel as if you're body isn't reacting properly to the stresses you are putting yourself through ask your doctor about it. Maybe some detailed blood work is warranted. It could be something as simple as a vitamin deficiency.

I think we can all agree that we're not the person we were 30 years ago. But, I think following a regiment of consuming sensible healthy foods, staying hydrated, stretching and exercising within our abilities is about all you can do. I like to alternate my bike days with gym days. Sometimes I alternate my gym days with a walk in the park day. Any movement is good.

But don't beat yourself up about the need for a nap, we've all been there. some of my best naps have been after a unusually strenuous ride.
Old 04-08-19, 08:04 AM
Tom L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog

I know nothing but this type of reaction, I only started riding 3 yrs ago at 50, and I am either sore or tired, or loose and riding ever since
not too much in between, at least you have something to compare to, I wish I had started earlier,
just started taking some more vitamins, hoping that helps with recovery, there is a ton of stuff I should try to make it better,
just doesn't seem to be enough time, every day seems to be a struggle
Old 04-09-19, 11:12 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Get used to it. The clock only goes one way. I admire your persistence. Carry on. Trust me, I know. I will be 71 in June