Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

86 Serotta Nova Campagnolo - Paint Teaser Pics & More!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

86 Serotta Nova Campagnolo - Paint Teaser Pics & More!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-07, 01:45 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
That's going be a real sweet build - and I LOVE the color. How was your experience with SW Frameworks?
Old 05-07-07, 01:51 PM
Brycycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that is shaping up to be a 'classic' ride.
Old 05-07-07, 01:52 PM
pathdoc
Hey let's ride.

Bikes: Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
SW Frameworks is a top notch shop. The owner will spend lots of time getting to know you. They really seem to have clear communications as a top priority.
Old 05-07-07, 02:17 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pathdoc
SW Frameworks is a top notch shop. The owner will spend lots of time getting to know you. They really seem to have clear communications as a top priority.
My current painter has taken almost 3 years to get to know me. Talk about service.
Old 05-07-07, 02:20 PM
ryanspeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't get it: formerly "Parkpre", now "Serotta"? Isn't that like me taking a lugged 80's Fuji frameset and painting it with Pinnarello logos? Or am I completely missing something?

Looks nice by the way.
Old 05-07-07, 03:09 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
ryanspeer: the bike was originally a Serotta, is a Serotta actually. Purchased new in 86, repainted in 88/89 to match a local team that was sponsored by Parkpre. The owner was a trainer I believe for the team and wanted his bike to match the team's he worked for. Thus the repaint. And the year of the repaint explains the color. So in actuality, I'm returning the bike to it's rightful livery.

Here's a photo of the rear brake bridge sporting the Serotta S:

Jerry - there were some minor delays in the completion of the job, but nothing anywhere close to 3 years, that's for sure. Mostly due to family illness, a bit of bad weather causing some down time, etc. David is quite good with communication, though he's been getting so many calls during the day lately that he isn't answering his phone much. He does though return the calls when he's able to, or email with an answer within a couple of days. Very nice guy, great to work with. He's repainted a couple of Lotek's bikes, as well as a number of other Dallas area BF members (see Pathdoc's response). He'll spend as much time as needed to make sure you're happy with your choices on paint, or more than happy to take a few guidelines and run with it.

I got to see a nearly completed paint job on one of his own custom frames while I was down there yesterday. Beautiful lugged frame with a silver & blue paint scheme that wasn't too flashy, but very stately. Apparently he'd just finished the paint and was getting ready to buff and polish the lugs - stainless steel lugs. I'm sure the customer will be very pleased with the final result.

Jerry, PM me if you want more info.
Old 05-07-07, 03:51 PM
ryanspeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That makes more sense. A classic lugged frame like that most defintely deserves a Record groupset. If you COULD score some of those old Delta brakes, it'd be indescribably sweet!

Some day, in addition to eventually adding a cyclocross bike, a bike with titanium frame, and a nice fixie (an old Cannondale frame would be kinda nice for that), I'd LOVE to build up a retro steel lugged road bike with vintage Campy Record. Yours will undoubtedly look/ride beautifully - except that it's too big for me.
Old 05-07-07, 04:30 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

I started out road cycling with a $10 Schwinn off ebay. Followed by a $35 Centurion off ebay (which I promptly completely took apart and put far too much money into, but put a nice vintage Shimano group on), which was then followed by my Gazelle... which I put slightly newer shimano on. All the while just wishing I could own anything with the Campagnolo name on it.

Then I got the bright idea of slowly putting together a 10sp group for the Gazelle. Which I'd have put together and ready when I was going to have it painted after graduating with my Master's degree late this year. Which was trumped when I suddenly put together a 'club ride' modern bike based on a Flyte SRS-3 frame with modern Campy Centuar group.

But I was still without a vintage Campagnolo group. And I had a Schwinn touring bike that it was painfully obvious I wasn't using nearly as much as I had intended when I bought it "somewhere along the line". So the plan was to sell the schwinn, buy some Italian or other European steel frame worthy of hanging a vintage campy group on. And slowly collect that group over the course of a year or so.

Well that plan kind of got fast-tracked when I got an email from a local guy getting back into cycling after a number of years off, and he was interested in a touring bike, like the one I happened to be selling. He didn't have much in the way of cash, but did have this Serotta sitting in his garage from his riding and racing days in the late 80's. Already dressed to the 9's with Campy Super Record, minus the brake levers and the seat post as seen here:

Obviously sitting since the early 90's, and wearing the old team colors, we arranged a trade. It wasn't european, but I was quite happy with a very well respected American brand just as much. And there was no waiting and trying to bid on campy bits one at a time. Certainly can't argue with that!

So a little clean up, sold a few parts, bought a few parts, polished all the parts, and sent the frame off to David for paint. That was around mid-Feburary. Now I have the frame back, all the parts collected and ready to go. The only thing I have left to aquire will be a second wheelset for those days I don't want to ride the tubulars.

I do have to say though, after looking at this frame, and looking at my Gazelle frame, the Serotta looks the part of a modern bike much more than the Gazelle. The Gazelle has a paneled white and blue paint job that looks much more vintage than the solid red of the Serotta. So, the chances are that eventually all the Super Record will go to that bike and the modern (06/07 mix of groups) Campagnolo will end up on the Serotta. It just fits best. But till then, I'm going to be enjoying the vintage Campagnolo group on which ever frame it's on. Even when I'm home and I just enjoy looking at it.
Old 05-07-07, 04:42 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Painting that bike is a total slap in the faces of Sonny Crockett and Rico Tubbs.

Just kidding, that really looks hot. Also looks like my old saddle found a much nicer ride (unless that's a clone). Enjoy!

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 05-07-07, 07:07 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by dtrain
Painting that bike is a total slap in the faces of Sonny Crockett and Rico Tubbs.

Just kidding, that really looks hot. Also looks like my old saddle found a much nicer ride (unless that's a clone). Enjoy!
It is indeed the Selle Italia Flite that you sent me. Been sitting in the closet waiting for the right ride to be used on. Wasn't sure if it was going to be on this bike or my Barracuda Mk.I, but I think for now it'll stay on this bike. The gold trim of the Rolls on the 'cuda Mk.I would throw off the whole red and silver thing I have going on.
Old 05-07-07, 07:35 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Your Avatar is seeing plenty of use over here. Hope you're back on the bike soon.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 05-07-07, 07:37 PM
pathdoc
Hey let's ride.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'll take those white LOOK pedals off your hands if you're not using them.
Old 05-07-07, 08:29 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by dtrain
Your Avatar is seeing plenty of use over here. Hope you're back on the bike soon.
Glad you're enjoying it.

Originally Posted by pathdoc
I'll take those white LOOK pedals off your hands if you're not using them.
Sorry, gave them back to the guy I got the Serotta from.

This evening when I got home I did a quick measurement of where I eyeballed the seatpost at when I installed it last night. Measured my Gazelle's BB to seatpost clamp and then the Serotta - within 2mm of each other. Darn I'm good. I also measured the seat tube on the Serotta again - 58 ctt, which means this bike seems to be a PERFECT fit for me. Can't wait to get it back out on the road.
Old 05-07-07, 10:20 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Hi cuda2K,

The frame looks marvelous. I'm very partial to red Serottas with Campy. Looks like you're doing a great job restoring it.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 05-08-07, 07:53 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

It's going to be raining and overcast here in Dallas for like the next WEEK, so not sure when I'll be able to get some outdoor photos of the bike.

Last night I picked up the new headset (many thanks again Pathdoc!) for it which will be installed as soon as I hear from David that he as reloacted my fork. Till then I don't want to go through all of the installation of derailleurs, cranks and such as I have to transport the frame in the front seat of my truck back down to david's to have the headset and fork installed.

As far as bar wrap, (just to throw a teaser out to Patriot), I have a roll of Cinelli Cork here, but have had a poor history of wrapping with it. I'd like to find some of the Specalized S-Wrap that I use on some of my other bikes but the LBS has been out of all colors but red for some time, and the two reds would clash something fierce. After that my choices are Cinelli Gel-Wrap, I could get some of the Serotta embossed wrap, or something exotic like the elk hide leather that velo-orange sells and put a couple gel pads down under it.
Old 05-08-07, 08:38 AM
ryanspeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
It's going to be raining and overcast here in Dallas for like the next WEEK, so not sure when I'll be able to get some outdoor photos of the bike.

Last night I picked up the new headset (many thanks again Pathdoc!) for it which will be installed as soon as I hear from David that he as reloacted my fork. Till then I don't want to go through all of the installation of derailleurs, cranks and such as I have to transport the frame in the front seat of my truck back down to david's to have the headset and fork installed.

As far as bar wrap, (just to throw a teaser out to Patriot), I have a roll of Cinelli Cork here, but have had a poor history of wrapping with it. I'd like to find some of the Specalized S-Wrap that I use on some of my other bikes but the LBS has been out of all colors but red for some time, and the two reds would clash something fierce. After that my choices are Cinelli Gel-Wrap, I could get some of the Serotta embossed wrap, or something exotic like the elk hide leather that velo-orange sells and put a couple gel pads down under it.
I used to be a die-hard cork wrap user, but recently tried some of that Fiz:k wrap on my Tarmac. It's white with some perforated lines, and looks really classy. Something like that would look pretty cool on your Serotta (I think).
Old 05-08-07, 11:57 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

ah yes, the Fiz:k tape, forgot to add it to my list of options as well.

Update on the Fork: it was picked up by the wife who picked up her husband's frame and should be returning it to David this evening. Which means either Wed or Thursday evening I will be taking the frame back down to Southwest Frameworks to install the headset and fork. Once that done the rest of the build can continue. I'm going to tentatively say that the bike will be ridable by Sunday evening.
Old 05-09-07, 07:50 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Outdoor photos! No bright sun to really get the paint gleaming, but the true color comes out much more than the indoor photos:

Old 05-10-07, 09:16 AM
ryanspeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
That really does look nice. If it were mine, the first rock chip would make me cry.
Old 05-10-07, 09:01 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

The impossible to photograph paint continues:

And now - WITH FORK (and wheels, and stem/bars/brake levers)

Old 05-10-07, 09:03 PM
timmyquest
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How does one turn an oldie into a goody?

Oh, ok.
Old 05-10-07, 09:07 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

I haven't eaten since 11am, it's now 10:15pm and instead of finding something to eat I keep either scrolling through all these photos or going into the study to look at the bike. I didn't think I could like a RED bike THIS much!
Old 05-12-07, 10:42 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Campagnolo shifters installed and brake cables run. Brakes are installed and the front cable housing installed. Which was much more work than it should have been. I really like the look of this braided silver cable housing, but getting cable ferrules over it is problematic unless the ends are near perfect.

The Super Record derailleur installed and the rear housing run. I could probably shorten the housing a little, but this is pretty close to the length the original housing was.
Old 05-12-07, 10:46 PM
tbrtbx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you painted 'serotta' over the parkpre frame? i'm confused.
nice colour though.
Old 05-12-07, 10:48 PM
pathdoc
Hey let's ride.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looks great. How many cogs on your freewheel?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.