Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Panaracer Gravelking Slick

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Panaracer Gravelking Slick

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-22, 03:01 PM
Basstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Panaracer Gravelking Slick Puncture

Strange question here I’m sure.

I put Gravelking Slicks on my All Road bike primarily to go to a wider width and basically all of my riding at the time was on paved multi use paths.

I mounted them with tubes for ease of mounting and since speed wasn’t my focus I wasn’t concerned with weight.

I’ve since moved to an area with some nice gravel riding and in two consecutive rides have gotten a flat. Both times it was a very tiny pin hole in the tube.

I’ve decided to give tubeless a try and am going to a more “gravel” tread as well.

Question: since I know the Slick tire has a puncture but also know it is so small I basically can’t even see it, should I consider using this tire tubeless with sealant or simply toss it?

Thanks

P.S. I’m in Southwest Florida

Last edited by Basstar; 12-10-22 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-10-22, 03:19 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Basstar
Strange question here I’m sure.

I put Gravelking Slicks on my All Road bike primarily to go to a wider width and basically all of my riding at the time was on paved multi use paths.

I mounted them with tubes for ease of mounting and since speed wasn’t my focus I wasn’t concerned with weight.

I’ve since moved to an area with some nice gravel riding and in two consecutive rides have gotten a flat. Both times it was a very tiny pin hole in the tube.

I’ve decided to give tubeless a try and am going to a more “gravel” tread as well.

Question: since I know the Slick tire has a puncture but also know it is so small I basically can’t even see it, should I consider using this tire tubeless with sealant or simply toss it?

Thanks

Tubless is perfect for those type of punctures. With your specific problem their may be a small piece of flint which is embedded in the tire and it causes small punctures as you ride. I speak from experience.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 12-10-22, 05:47 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Are your rims tubeless ready?
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 12-10-22, 06:09 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,583 Times in 1,432 Posts
Add an approximate location to your profile because sometimes the right answer depends on where you ride.

For example it seems like your tiny punctures might be from thorns or goatheads ---- common issues in the southwest.

In any case tubeless and sealant are perfect for pinhole leak issues.

As for tread, "gravel" comes in all forms, from pea gravel which is pretty easy on tires, to crushed bluestone whose sharp edges that can be murder on thin tread rubber.

Last edited by FBinNY; 12-10-22 at 06:13 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-10-22, 06:13 PM
Basstar

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Are your rims tubeless ready?
Yes
Old 12-10-22, 06:26 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts
what width are you riding ?

just related comments -

GK SS is more flat resistant than the GK slick ... even if I rode almost entirely road I would use the GK SS instead of the GK slick
Likes For t2p:
Old 12-10-22, 06:28 PM
Basstar

Originally Posted by t2p
what width are you riding ?

just related comments -

GK SS is more flat resistant than the GK slick ... even if I rode almost entirely road I would use the GK SS instead of the GK slick

Thanks for the tip.
Likes For Basstar:
Old 12-10-22, 07:59 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
Going tubeless after a tire has been used with tubes can sometimes be an unsuccessful venture. Especially with extralight skinwalls. The problem arises because the tubes stretches out the threads of the casing & the walls become far too porous & there isn't enough wall thickness to make any sealant created plug stay put. It's much less of an issue starting with a virgin tire as the sealant has a head start and works it's way in from the get-go.

That being said, I have (& probably many others, too) have successfully run tubes for awhile then converted with out issue. But be aware & have a dart kit ready should a previously unknown puncture make itself known. Odds of success are very likely but are not 100%

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 12-10-22, 08:03 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
It's your money, but tossing a tire with a pinhole puncture seems wasteful. I would run it tubeless with no hesitation whatsoever.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 12-10-22, 09:02 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Maybe wait until those tires are worn out and go tubeless with the next set.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 12-10-22, 09:26 PM
Yelbom15

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
Those are some awesome tires. If I remember correctly, Panaracer is pretty dead set on having most of their tires equipped with some sort of “puncture resistant” belt within the tire like Gotorskins. Now how tough, who knows.

Like someone said before, if you’ve already put a solid amount of miles on them, I’d say wait for a fresh set of tires to run tubeless. Not saying you can’t. I don’t see why not but it’s almost like prepping a chain to be waxed after you already put 900 miles on it.

If you only put maybe 100 miles on the tires, then go for it.
Likes For Yelbom15:
Old 12-10-22, 10:07 PM
sincos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Puncturewise, running tubeless will be fine. The real question is whether a file tread is appropriate for your sort of gravel.
Likes For sincos:
Old 12-11-22, 08:22 AM
tommymc

Bikes: Many, mostly old & low tech

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Gravelking

I have a pair of 35mm Gravelking Slicks on DTSwiss R460 rims (rim brake version). I ran about 1,000 miles on mixed pavement and hard Florida trails with tubes and without a puncture. But since both rim and tire are rated tubeless I gave the changeover a try. As a first attempt it took a little effort to get it right but now they are good even when sitting for a couple weeks. They definitely feel smoother. I couldn't be happier.
Likes For tommymc:
Old 12-12-22, 03:35 PM
Basstar

I’m Giving These Tires A Second Life

I’ve looked these tires over to the best of my ability and although I do see a couple of pin holes I do not see any major cuts nor anything in the tires.

I’m giving them a try tubeless and am certain I will have sealant oozing out in a couple of spots.

Hopefully they will seal up and I can get several miles out of them. If not then to the trash they’ll go and a new set of tires will be on the way.

Thanks everyone for sharing your insight and experience.
Old 12-12-22, 07:58 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

I typically use a fair amount of talc / ‘baby powder’ when I install tires with tubes - so changing from tube to tubeless would not be an option for me
Likes For t2p:
Old 12-12-22, 08:01 PM
t2p

Originally Posted by Basstar

Thanks for the tip.
38 - ok - good

if you were using 32 mm (or smaller) I was going to recommend some other tire options
Likes For t2p:
Old 04-16-24, 01:18 AM
cantiger

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
Is this still conventional wisdom? Pondering slick vs semi myself. Cheers. (Or G One Speed / Allround)
Old 04-16-24, 05:32 AM
t2p

Originally Posted by cantiger
Is this still conventional wisdom? Pondering slick vs semi myself. Cheers. (Or G One Speed / Allround)

not sure if it is conventional wisdom - ? - but it is the case

the GK SS tread is approximately 1 mm thicker - therefore more durable and flat resistant - but heavier and rolls slower … still a recommended / decent tire though

the exception is the 32mm GK slick - which (at one time at least ?) included a puncture proof layer under the tread … but in a 32 mm slick tire there are other / better slick tread options

btw / please note: the Gravel King lineup is new / improved for 2024 … includes updates to existing tires and a new tire

Last edited by t2p; 04-16-24 at 05:42 AM.