Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How do I correct a chain that falls off the big chain ring outwards ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How do I correct a chain that falls off the big chain ring outwards ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-23, 08:35 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E

What causes this?
Mileage. This chain is worn out. Note how the chain and the cogs mesh well at around 5 o'clock, and how it rides higher on the teeth as you move away from that position. A worn chain elongates. As the pins and rollers wear, the chain gets longer.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 04-23-23 at 08:38 PM.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 04-23-23, 10:22 PM
oldbobcat

Originally Posted by urbanknight
I always figured having the limit screw too wide or having the derailleur too high would be like leaving an open door for the chain to fall through.
If you did that you'd wear a hole in the derailleur. That makes it shift even worse, and then you have to buy a new one.

The limit screw is only there to keep you from flipping the chain off while you're shifting. The derailleur height only affects the accuracy of the shift while you're shifting. When it's too high the flexibility of the chain comes into play. We want to minimize that effect. Optimum is 1-2mm. There are malignant cases where you'd want to go higher, but there's no need to go into that here.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 04-23-23 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-23-23, 10:33 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
If you did that you'd wear a hole in the derailleur. That makes it shift even worse, and then you have to buy a new one.
That's not exactly what I was suggesting, I think Kontact understood what I was saying, that if flex is causing the chain to jump off, a derailleur that does not leave a large gap between the cage and the chainring would prevent the chain from falling off the outside. I could still be incorrect, but you seem to be implying that I am suggesting the cage should be in constant contact with that chain or something, and I am not.
Old 04-23-23, 10:42 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
The limit screw is only there to keep you from flipping the chain off while you're shifting. The derailleur height only affects the accuracy of the shift while you're shifting. When it's too high the flexibility of the chain comes into play. We want to minimize that effect. Optimum is 1-2mm. There are malignant cases where you'd want to go higher, but there's no need to go into that here.
Looks like I responded while you were adding this. You're saying that both adjustments are only a factor while shifting, but I was wondering if the bottom bracket shell flexing (i.e. during a sprint or climbing out of the saddle) could play a part. Perhaps not.
Old 04-24-23, 07:53 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
The chain is worn out. Likely the cassette and possibly chainrings are, too because the chain is so worn out.

But the chain is worn out.
Old 04-24-23, 10:26 AM
oldbobcat

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Looks like I responded while you were adding this. You're saying that both adjustments are only a factor while shifting, but I was wondering if the bottom bracket shell flexing (i.e. during a sprint or climbing out of the saddle) could play a part. Perhaps not.
Come to think of it, many many years ago I had a miserable Raleigh Super Course that would give me chain rub when I stood hard on the cranks. I never knew whether it was the bottom bracket spindle, the crank spider, or the chain stays flexing enough to deflect the chain. It seemed to go away when I put a Stronglight 93 crank on it, but that bike was pretty whippy. I used to also hear of chain stay flex on some steel bikes that would cause the rear derailleur to shift. That would be with friction shifters. But I never dropped a chain that wasn't the result of a botched shift, damaged chain or damaged chain ring.

We did have a lovely CF LeMond with SRAM Force on clearance that would not stay sold because the front derailleur never shifted well. This was before Red, so it was top-drawer. Finally, we figured that somehow the carbon crank spider was bent. We swapped the crank and made someone very happy.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 04-24-23, 10:34 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts

What causes this?
Yikes!
You need new drive train, chain, chainrings, and likely cassette.
Also check the cogs on your derailleur.

(might be time for a 1x conversion)
Old 04-24-23, 12:30 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
How do I correct a chain that falls off the big chain ring outwards? When I hit a bump or stomp hard to climb a hill my chain falls the big chain ring outwards (towards the pedals). The last few times this has happened, I tightened up the Upper Limit screw on my front derailleur. That helped, but the last time I tightened it, I noticed I couldn't downshift to the intermediate chain ring. I should have fixed then and there, but I didn't Today I went for a ride and the chain stiil fell off when I stomped hard to clear a small gulley. That was bad news, because now I couldn't use my internediate chain ring, which would have been safer. So my chain came off four times today.
You're tightening the lower limit screw, not the upper limit screw. You got the two screws mixed up.
Old 04-24-23, 12:33 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts

What causes this?
Your derailleur is too high. Move it down so it's a bit closer to the chainring.

But more importantly, both your chain and chainring are toast. You need to replace both. Cassette too I'd bet.
Likes For Yan:
Old 04-25-23, 12:26 AM
oldbobcat

Originally Posted by Yan
Your derailleur is too high. Move it down so it's a bit closer to the chainring.

But more importantly, both your chain and chainring are toast. You need to replace both. Cassette too I'd bet.
And the pulleys on the rear derailleur.
Old 04-25-23, 09:51 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Looking at the photos I am not surprised that the chain comes off the large chainring under load. Where the chain meets the large ring the teeth are not really engaged with the chain. The tiniest amount of flex of the chainring at that point will derail the chain. It is probable that the cassette is also worn out. The photo shows a severe neglect of basic maintenance. The chain should have been replaced a long, long time ago. By this time, cassette and chainrings are also compromised.
Old 04-25-23, 03:32 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Exactly what everyone else just said above but probably needs all cables as well given state of deferred maintenance on the drivetrain.
Old 04-26-23, 09:13 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
What causes this?
Chain and/or chainring worn beyond usable limit, probably cassette too.
Old 04-27-23, 10:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
I take good care of my bikes actually. When you're riding on a level surface, you use a regular rhythmic pedaling motion. Now let's say you suddenly hit a tough hill which is about every 3 miles out here Northwest. Then you push hard and yes at the point where you are just at the crest and doing 2 mph,and your eyeballs are coming out of your sockets, you are ..not being polite to your bike.that's the way it is out here, hills and hills...you just have to put some ....I like your attitude towards a clean bike. I maintain mine pretty well, but with the daily rain and mud out here, you have to use messy wet lube and it's safer to keep the hose off them rather then soak your bearings with hose spray and just let them be. It's heart breaking to see a muddy bike,....but I have to ride everyday outside.I'm glad I don't own a Crux or Roubaix. I would never ride them out here.
Good good but stomping on a bike is bad. Yes having to climb out of the saddle and pushing hard is one thing but stomping is another.

A clean bike is a happy bike but especially in your drivetrain all that grit and grime wear things out faster. Using a hose isn't always bad using a pressure washer isn't ideal (unless a pro with a mechanic) but a normal lower pressure hose and just being mindful will not do much damage. Pouring lube on top of lube on top of lube that isn't great unless maybe using was lube but in that situation still wiping it down is crucial. If your bearings are unsealed then yes a hose probably could wash out the grease but it is rare for a bike these days to have completely unsealed bearings and in some cases they use lesser seals for say a road bike as they don't intend that for much rain usage but a bike like yours probably not using high end bearings like that so no need to worry.

The Crux is a cross bike, cross bikes are designed to get muddy. You can see some cross racers at the end of some races and they are covered in mud like full facial mud with glasses covering the eyes and some of the bikes you see are more mud than bike by the end of it.