Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to tighten these?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How to tighten these?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-23, 06:14 PM
juntjoo

Bikes: Cannondale Bent 2, Fuji Royale, Mongoose Snare

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
How to tighten these?

Do you need to pull them in then tighten them somehow or something else? They barely work. Thanks!
Old 10-22-23, 06:20 PM
macattack71

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 1987 Raleigh Technium 440

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
Normally you would tighten the barrel adjuster, not sure what's going on with that one, and the zip-tie. The cable could be loosened, then tightened after taking up some slack in the cable by squeezing the brakes towards the rim.
Likes For macattack71:
Old 10-22-23, 06:27 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Generally I position my reflectors vertical for best function before tightening them up. Oh, wait, were you talking about the brakes?

The cable barrel adjuster is sort of hindered by the cable tie but the first way is to loosen the barrel up and secure that position with the knurled lock nut. Second might be to take up the slack via the cable anchor bolt and cable clamping point.

Make sure that the flimsy QR/adjuster barrel bracket isn't spreading too wide to support the shelf that it rides on. I often bend the bracket sides in slightly to better clasp the adjuster barrel. Make sure the caliper arms are moving freely w/out and fore/aft slop.

And lastly make sure what ever cable housing end "treatment" you use seats into the barrel adjuster top end, it looks like a housing end cap is simple butted against the adjuster barrel w/out entering the recessed end. Andy
Old 10-22-23, 06:45 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Sometimes it takes some practice to get familiar with bicycle brake adjustment. These should be easy. Don't be afraid just dive in and git-er-done. I might add that fresh brake pads are very important. Even if they do not look worn they can become useless. My method is to loosen the barrel adjuster and cable. I then take a heavy vice grip and lock it onto the end of the cable letting it hand down freely and tension the cable. Next I squeeze the caliper against the rim and then tighten down the cable. Now I just loosen the brakes from the rim via barrel adjuster. So you will then have to center the caliper and then adjust the brakes again.

I like using Mountain Bike Pads on all my bikes: Amazon 2 Pairs Bike Brakes Pads Set, 70mm for Cruiser MTB Mountain Bicycle Universal V-Brake Blocks with Hex Nut and Shims, No Noise No Skid 7 USD.

Last edited by zandoval; 10-22-23 at 06:57 PM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 10-23-23, 12:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Besides the issues pointed out by others, the pic makes it look like the pads might be way too high and rubbing on the tire when activated. But likely just the angle of the pic and depth of field for the shot.

The pads should only touch the rim when you squeeze the lever.
Old 10-23-23, 02:33 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts

Old 10-23-23, 02:45 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by macattack71
Normally you would tighten the barrel adjuster, not sure what's going on with that one, and the zip-tie. The cable could be loosened, then tightened after taking up some slack in the cable by squeezing the brakes towards the rim.
actually, you "loosen" the barrel adjuster.... it appears to be as "Tight" as it can be.... it needs to be lefty-loosened to take up cable slack.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 10-23-23, 02:47 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Originally Posted by SurferRosa

that's to prevent the caliper release from releasing on it's own... i've used a bread sack twist tie to do similar until a proper fix could be made...
Likes For maddog34:
Old 10-23-23, 02:55 PM
maddog34

i guess no one has noticed the problem at the Cable housing/adjuster junction point........ no, not the zip tie.
Old 10-23-23, 04:16 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
This style of caliper brake and brake pad both tend to provide weak braking capacity even with brand new pads, cables and housing installed. I would replace pads, cables and housing and you may improve braking slightly but it will never compare to more modern brake systems.
Likes For ARider2:
Old 10-23-23, 04:49 PM
Dictatokerr

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hey, I had the same issue with mine. I found pulling them in a bit and then tightening worked for me. If it's still tricky, maybe check the manual? Good luck!
Likes For Dictatokerr:
Old 10-23-23, 04:59 PM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks guys. Squeezing them together then re-rightening seemed to do the trick. How do they keep equally spaced around the rim? They don't seem to be rubbing but I often wonder if they ever get stuck one way or the other how to adjust if needed
Old 10-23-23, 06:05 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
I suspect that the cable is binding inside the housing. Looking at the cobble-job where the housing enters the caliper release, it doesn't even seem that the housing end is even seated in the caliper release, which, I suppose, is why someone put a zip-tie on there.

I'd disconnect the cable, and ideally, replace it and the housing with fresh cable and housing. Failing that, I'd pull the cable out of the housing, inspect for damage and/or rust and replace the cable if needed, then squirt some lube into the housing, if it is not kinked, cracked, or otherwise damaged. Hook everything back up and adjust as shown in @zandoval's video.
Old 10-23-23, 11:51 PM
maddog34

Originally Posted by juntjoo
Thanks guys. Squeezing them together then re-rightening seemed to do the trick. How do they keep equally spaced around the rim? They don't seem to be rubbing but I often wonder if they ever get stuck one way or the other how to adjust if needed
The CENTERING is set by holding the outer Cap nut with a wrench, then holding the brake clamped on the rim, then loosen/tighten the nut on the other end of the brake mount/spindle.... or at least that's how it's supposed to work... usually, the back nut is a nylok nut and wants to turn the entire caliper spindle... trial and error will get the caliper centered quicker, IMO

i've watched someone use wooden door/window carpenter wedges to center the caliper, then loosened/snugged the back nut down... it took a few tries that way too...

and then.. there's the Third Hand Tool... not economical for home repairs, usually.. the cheap spring ones don't work well, and the Park Version likes to slip off at the worst times, do a half spin with a twist,, and land on my big toe... ouch!
I mostly use it on Center pull brakes when setting centering and cable length..... the BMX "under the chainstays" versions most recently.

here's the toe killer.. Park doesn't have them on their web catalog now.. they have a spring type tho... https://www.ebay.com/itm/19604161819...Bk9SR9Doy4TsYg

Last edited by maddog34; 10-24-23 at 12:07 AM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 10-24-23, 11:07 AM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I suspect that the cable is binding inside the housing. Looking at the cobble-job where the housing enters the caliper release, it doesn't even seem that the housing end is even seated in the caliper release, which, I suppose, is why someone put a zip-tie on there.

I'd disconnect the cable, and ideally, replace it and the housing with fresh cable and housing. Failing that, I'd pull the cable out of the housing, inspect for damage and/or rust and replace the cable if needed, then squirt some lube into the housing, if it is not kinked, cracked, or otherwise damaged. Hook everything back up and adjust as shown in @zandoval's video.
No I actually put that there cuz some part in there broke, and that little aluminum cuff there is to big for it fit but fortunately it all currently works.
Old 10-24-23, 11:08 AM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
The CENTERING is set by holding the outer Cap nut with a wrench, then holding the brake clamped on the rim, then loosen/tighten the nut on the other end of the brake mount/spindle.... or at least that's how it's supposed to work... usually, the back nut is a nylok nut and wants to turn the entire caliper spindle... trial and error will get the caliper centered quicker, IMO

i've watched someone use wooden door/window carpenter wedges to center the caliper, then loosened/snugged the back nut down... it took a few tries that way too...

and then.. there's the Third Hand Tool... not economical for home repairs, usually.. the cheap spring ones don't work well, and the Park Version likes to slip off at the worst times, do a half spin with a twist,, and land on my big toe... ouch!
I mostly use it on Center pull brakes when setting centering and cable length..... the BMX "under the chainstays" versions most recently.

here's the toe killer.. Park doesn't have them on their web catalog now.. they have a spring type tho... https://www.ebay.com/itm/19604161819...Bk9SR9Doy4TsYg
Thanks. I'll keep this in mind for future reference
Old 10-24-23, 11:10 AM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

This is my expertise
Old 10-24-23, 11:12 AM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
i guess no one has noticed the problem at the Cable housing/adjuster junction point........ no, not the zip tie.
Are you referring to that lever i got the zip tie around? If so it is broken hence the zip tie. I don't even know what it's for. I figured to give the cable slack or something?
Old 10-24-23, 11:15 AM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dictatokerr
Hey, I had the same issue with mine. I found pulling them in a bit and then tightening worked for me. If it's still tricky, maybe check the manual? Good luck!
Manual? IDK really know about this bike. It's a "Fuji Royale". But I think it's like ancient. First road bike ever. I really like it. Had to put the cruiser bars on in place of the drop downs though for my comfort. With my basket on the back I feel like the wicked witch of the west. It's fun, and my fastest bike. Just requires smooth road so now it's for mostly grocery store shopping down the street. I use my mountain bike and recumbent(Cannondale Bent 2) for all other comfortable riding purposes
Old 10-24-23, 11:17 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
I work on this gear every week. First off, the ferrule is not seated in the barrel adjuster. This has to be fixed, perhaps this setup doesn't need a ferrule. This configuration may cause the cable to be rubbing against the metal edges of either the ferrule or the adjuster, eventually causing it to fail/snap. Then: no braking at all.

Second, it looks like the cable tie was installed to prevent the caliper quick-release from falling off the brake. Not good: suggest replace the entire quick release/adjuster.

Nevertheless: the bottom line is that these Dia-Compe brakes from the 70's feature poor mechanical advantage, cheap hardware and weak flexy arms. They were a blight on the bike industry for decades, and with hardened 40-year old pads, they haven't gotten better at braking. We strip these off of bikes at every opportunity and deep-six them into recycling. Brakes are critical to your safety - get rid of these and invest in something better.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 10-24-23, 11:20 AM
maddog34

Are you referring to that lever i got the zip tie around? If so it is broken hence the zip tie. I don't even know what it's for. I figured to give the cable slack or something?
nope... Where The Cable Housing Enters the ADJUSTER.. the cable housing end cap is either broken, or is not seated into the adjuster...

The Lever that is Zip tied into place is a CAM used to open the brake up and let the tire slip out or in between the pads when removing/Installing the wheel and tire.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 10-24-23, 11:25 AM
maddog34

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I work on this gear every week. First off, the ferrule is not seated in the barrel adjuster. This has to be fixed, perhaps this setup doesn't need a ferrule. This configuration may cause the cable to be rubbing against the metal edges of either the ferrule or the adjuster, eventually causing it to fail/snap. Then: no braking at all.

Second, it looks like the cable tie was installed to prevent the caliper quick-release from falling off the brake. Not good: suggest replace the entire quick release/adjuster.

Nevertheless: the bottom line is that these Dia-Compe brakes from the 70's feature poor mechanical advantage, cheap hardware and weak flexy arms. They were a blight on the bike industry for decades, and with hardened 40-year old pads, they haven't gotten better at braking. We strip these off of bikes at every opportunity and deep-six them into recycling. Brakes are critical to your safety - get rid of these and invest in something better.
many, if not ALL, of those DiaCompe brakes do use adjusters that are too small to fit an end cap into... good catch.

and +1 on the "they Suck" message.

Last edited by maddog34; 10-24-23 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-24-23, 11:38 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
this is the brake quick release that allows you to open the brake calipers to remove the wheel.

this is super basic.

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 10-24-23, 11:58 AM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
nope... Where The Cable Housing Enters the ADJUSTER.. the cable housing end cap is either broken, or is not seated into the adjuster...

The Lever that is Zip tied into place is a CAM used to open the brake up and let the tire slip out or in between the pads when removing/Installing the wheel and tire.

Thanks. What's the "adjuster" exactly and what does it adjust?
Old 10-24-23, 12:03 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
The Hozan Fourth Hand is infinitely better than the Park (or the Pedro's), and at $20, is definitely economical for home repairs. And works better than any third-hand gizmo. And--coincidentally--it works great tightening zip-ties, too!
Likes For smd4:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.