Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Clear your handlebars and your mind will follow

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Clear your handlebars and your mind will follow

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-24, 04:19 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Garmin on every ride. Been doing it for decades and love the history. 1040 Solar unless city ride then Enduro 2. Could not imagine riding without.
Old 03-18-24, 04:50 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
I have an e-commerce business, and spend some 12 hours per day on various screens. I love cycling because I can slip my electronic leash for a while, and enjoy some time not checking orders, making transfers, or reading/answering emails. I miss the days when mail came in envelopes and was delivered to a post box by the road, and when phones were physically restricted to a fixed location. People didn’t waste hours of their lives each day texting each other nonsense, and shopping for things they didn’t need and couldn’t afford. Of course, if they didn’t do the latter, I wouldn’t have much to do.
Old 03-18-24, 05:09 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Ahahahah ..... What's old as dirt is now "new" ! I always thought going for a ride was to be exercise/express my inherent Liberty for simply and irrevocably BEING, as the form called "bike riding" . Just BEING the great outdoors as thoughts come and go like the clouds.

Last edited by Garthr; 03-18-24 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-18-24, 06:05 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
Ahahahah ..... What's old as dirt is now "new" ! I always thought going for a ride was to be exercise/express my inherent Liberty for simply and irrevocably BEING, as the form called "bike riding" . Just BEING the great outdoors as thoughts come and go like the clouds.
No, sorry, that is hiking. Cycling is all about metrics: time, distance, speed, BPM and max, lactate threshold, watts, max watts, elevation climbed, % grade, total mileage, average speed, cadence, calories burned, VO2 Max, load, W/kg, moving time, total time Avg power, and on and on. Then there is your training focus with…..

Old 03-20-24, 03:00 AM
liwhitehat

Bikes: 1992 Trek 950

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Yep... My Bars are clean. But I have seen worse...

You forgot the mirror(s),
Likes For liwhitehat:
Old 03-20-24, 06:32 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,293 Times in 1,281 Posts
I ride alone most of the time and don’t really have “a plan” other than just going for a ride. I have a few different routes and already know how far they are and how much climbing they involve. I do use Strava but my phone stays in my jersey pocket until I want to take a photo or call my wife to let her know when I’ll be home. She uses the beacon to check on me . I check my Strava after my ride and never worry about the results …they are what they are. It’s interesting , I came very close to buying a Garmin a year or so ago but decided I didn’t want or need that much information staring at me. I talked to one of the guys at Garmin and he told me all the stuff that the device is capable of and it sounded cool, but not for me. I have my bell and water bottle , phone in my back jersey pocket , spare tube and patch kit in my seat pack and maybe a snack bar ….I’m ready to go!
Old 03-20-24, 06:43 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I have been having bad luck with wireless speedometers lately so I have ridden a few times lately without immediate data. I don't want my phone on the handlebars.

I mostly commute, so I generally check the clock. I also like to see my speed, average speed and distance. It adds a piece to my morning self-evaluation as to my health. It also helps be evaluate the state of the bike I'm on that day, how it compares to the performance of my other bikes, and how the weather and wind are affecting my ride.

Since I mostly ride on the street, all my bikes have a bar-mounted AirZound Airhorn button...even the project bike. I used to have bells for pedestrians on all my bikes, but I had decluttered two years ago, but have since added those back to my main commuters. And at night I pop my main headlight on the handle bars.

I also just remembered three of my six bikes have secondary, interrupter brake levers on the upper portion of their drop bars. Also good to have in traffic.

I used to put mirrors on my bars, but after 25+ years of using a glasses mounted take-a-look mirror, I don't need bar mirrors.

From 2012 to 2022 I would listen to spoken-word podcasts in one ear while riding...even with multiple routes, after so many years they had become dull. But with the new job I had new commute routes to learn in 2022, and there's a bit more traffic interaction as I cross downtown Colorado Springs and take more heavily traveled paths. So I stopped listening and haven't felt the need. Also my commutes now average 33 minutes as opposed to 45 minutes. On longer weekend rides I will start out without audio support and so far have only resorted to it a few times.

And while I enjoy keeping abreast of my 'performance', I'm not a data geek. And although I like to keep up a spirited pace, I don't race through the streets, n the same way as I don't speed through traffic in my car. I suppose it's part of getting older, more patient and more cautious. And at 62, any thorough data analysis would only show a general decline over my remaining cycling years.
Old 03-20-24, 10:07 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
For me unfortunately more data on my bars would probably indicate progressive decline rather then improvement.

I dont need the disappointment.

But if it could make a difference in improving my ride and abilities, then bring it on...
Old 03-20-24, 12:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
No, sorry, that is hiking. Cycling is all about metrics: time, distance, speed, BPM and max, lactate threshold, watts, max watts, elevation climbed, % grade, total mileage, average speed, cadence, calories burned, VO2 Max, load, W/kg, moving time, total time Avg power, and on and on. Then there is your training focus with…..
I went out yesterday afternoon for a 35+ mile ride on my fix gear. Stopped at mile 6 as I usually do for espresso Stopped a mile later after some gentle climbing to flip the wheel from 42-18 to 17. Then just rode. Beautiful warm day (70!), almost no wind. Watched the sun for a sense of time. (Left at around 3pm. Wanted to arrive home ~7 so rush hour ll happened while I was out on county roads. Only information on time or anything else was my cell phone, inside my wallet and in my jersey pocket. Primary roads are N-S and E-W making judging sun location and time easy. Stopped at that favorite bench for a break. Looked at my phone to confirm time. Right on schedule. A couple of miles from home I stopped, flipped back to the 18, put a sheet of newspaper under my jersey and armwarmers on. Cool down mosey along the MUP. Arrived home within minutes of 7pm in the very last sunlight. 47 miles at a steady pace. Hammered but in a really good way.

So almost no metrics. Time, yes, but the old sun time, ie timeless. Only other metric - the gear ratio which changed twice. Pure bliss. Riding at its best. (On a classic, 45 year old steel bike with 50k miles on it, all under me. New paint job, fit as good as it gets (never thought about it once except twice shifted my weight slightly to spare a butt with nowhere near enough miles to be conditioned), new wheels and rubber; GP4s and Corsa G+ tubulars.)

Fun how differently we can ride and still share that love!
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-20-24, 07:47 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Small bag on the bars for snacks and phone I run urban biker for milage and average speed. Phone is in the bag
Old 03-20-24, 08:38 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
For me unfortunately more data on my bars would probably indicate progressive decline rather then improvement.

I dont need the disappointment.

But if it could make a difference in improving my ride and abilities, then bring it on...
The key, I found, was to spend 20 years getting old and fat, then another 20 years half-assing being a cyclist, and then going nuts and riding a hell of a lot more. You'll find yourself scoring a lot of PRs on Strava.

But it takes decades of sloth. If you haven't put in the lack of time to not prepare, then you will likely see decline.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-20-24, 10:00 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
......................... And at 62, any thorough data analysis would only show a general decline over my remaining cycling years.
For me unfortunately more data on my bars would probably indicate progressive decline rather then improvement. I dont need the disappointment...........................
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
.................. Beautiful warm day (70!), almost no wind.............................So almost no metrics.............................
Originally Posted by genejockey
........................ If you haven't put in the lack of time to not prepare, then you will likely see decline.
All METRICS I can obtain while riding, whether positive or negative compared to previous rides, are not only welcomed but desired and needed. Tuesday's rides had winds blowing with efforts varying as per how I felt and wanted to achieve. Tried my hardest to hit a wind assisted 30mph but trying 5 times could only make 28.7mph, so disappointed but happy I could attempt it 5 times (total ride 45.54 miles with a slow 15.2mph moving average). Yesterday was able to get out 2 times with first ride 20.02 miles then 2nd ride 21.12 miles. 1st ride was at 3:11am on my DAY 6 Semi Recumbent and 2nd ride was at 1:11pm on my 20" wheel 5 speed DAHON FOLD-UP a neighbor gave me since she no longer rides (84yo who walks with my wife).

Rides take substantially longer and are substantially slower and while disappointing still enjoyable. ALWAYS post on STRAVA and can't wait to see how things went during the rides. I just reviewed today's rides and my March 20, 2020 recorded ride popped up showing 141.23 miles, 17.9mph average speed and 9,000+ Calories so a HUGE difference compared to today.

BTW, soon to be 74yo, just had 2nd Prostate Cancer recurrence as per a biopsy, still suffering from being hit by a wild hog on Aug 26, 2022 for the 2nd time while biking and other crashes and lest I never forget the my Testosterone is non existent thanks to my APRIL 2015 bilateral Orchiectomy to begin cancer treatment.

My boat (bicycling) requires that I have INFO AVAILABLE to keep things floating and without the DATA the efforts would not be as enjoyable. Do as you all need to do to keep your BOAT FLOATING and bicycling enjoyable.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 03-20-24 at 10:11 PM.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 03-21-24, 06:03 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
At 72, I do structured indoor workouts during the cold months that are continually modified by Xert in accordance with my heart rate/power data. To keep the modifications of the workouts up to date, I use a power meter on my outdoor bike during those months so that the data from any outdoor rides I do are incorporated into Xert's calculations.

I don't really care about the results, though, except insofar as they motivate me to do those indoor workouts. (Pleased that my watts/kg went from 3.2 to 3.8 this winter, though.)

During the warm months, I drop the Xert subscription and remove the power meter.
Old 03-21-24, 06:36 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
If I don't have a computer, how else will I know if I am speeding on 30 MPH roads? I also have a light. Despite that clutter I find that I am able to pry my mind away from it for long enough to absorb the full essence of the ride.

Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-21-24, 07:02 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
This may just be a single speed thing, but with road bars, I don’t want anything on the bars near the stem. That’s where I hold the bars when pushing hard up a hill while riding in the saddle. And I only use old-fashioned 25.4 mm bars because I don’t want any funky bulge there either. So even the bell is relegated to the stem. I guess I could put stuff on the SS/touring bar/MTB, but I don’t. YMMV.

Otto
Old 03-23-24, 01:26 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
I like the data, so I like having my Garmin head unit with HR and power data. I also enjoy knowing my mileage and elevation gain. Finally, I like having the timer feature, to gauge when I should eat. When I was only doing short rides, data tracking was of no importance to me...now that I do structured training for events, the data is fairly important.

Contrary to what some may believe, I don't feel like a slave to he data. If anything, it encourages me to ride further and gain even more experiences. I don't dwell on whatever my head unit tells me, I just occasionally check it for power data, time, how much longer a climb is, etc. The only electronic engagement I allow during a ride, are the cycling metrics. I generally ignore calls, texts, and e-mails unless it's of vital importance. The ride is a chance for me to disconnect from the rest of the world for 2-8 hours a day. After the ride, I really enjoy going and analyzing the data on Strava. I also enjoy having years of this data that I can then go back and compare, or just reminisce about.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 03-23-24, 09:55 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Likes For Reynolds: