Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

the bad part of losing weight (clothes)

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

the bad part of losing weight (clothes)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-07, 11:45 PM
PATH
Opus

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Bianchi Axis, Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Roubaix, Miyata Sportsrunner, Trek T1 Track Bike, Specialized CrossTrail Expert, Specialized Tricross Comp Triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As the weight comes off a pair of suspenders can get you through to the next level before you have to buy new pants. The belts cause problems because one hole leaves pants too loose and the other is too darn tight for comfort. I go fo the loose belt and use suspenders. Just a thought.
Old 01-28-07, 11:50 PM
steveknight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work for myself so I can look like a slob. butr when I take the suspenders or belt off and my pants hit the floor it's time for new ones. and it always seems like I am inbetween sizes.
Old 01-29-07, 12:15 AM
ronjon10

Bikes: IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bdinger
My next round of clothes I'm going to visit a local tailor, which apparently will alter clothes down as much as 6 inches in pants, and 4 inches in chest size. Not cheap, but if they last...
Don't fret if you're worried about this. I have one custom fit jacket by a tailor. Compared to the several other suits I purchased, the custom job was my best investment in dress clothes.

Of course, I have all sorts of sizing issues, long torso, thick shoulders etc. For off the rack stuff, they basically need to do surgery to get it going, and it never quite works. With the custom, you'll be getting the exact right fit (at least temporarily), the quality will be great, and you can work with the guy up front to let him know your situation.
Old 01-29-07, 12:23 AM
BroMax
The Other White Meat

Bikes: Raleigh Sports 3 speed, Torker T-530

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With jeans, a hot wash and dry will put enough of a shrink in them to keep going for a while.

I ought to use suspenders more often. After I buckle my belt, I have to evenly distribute the slack around my waistband. I know how to use a sewing machine but I was just waiting until I could step into a better size and give the old stuff to larger, poorer people. Which reminds me, if you're just passing through a size, use the thrift store as a "rental" place: pay a few bucks, wear for a while, then donate back when you go down another size.

Some day, I want to go to a first rate haberdasher in my underwear and say "dress me!"
Old 01-31-07, 10:31 PM
STewmeister
a van down by the river

Bikes: Lemond Reno, Trek 6500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Believe it or not, I have bought some cool, cheap, designer even stuff on E-Bay - slacks , shirts, suits & shoes. Most NWT (new with tags) , never been burned.
Old 02-01-07, 11:12 PM
strider5

Bikes: GT MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well I'm down about another 10 pounds, so I went out and bought the smaller size last weekend. feels much better to have clothes that I know fit really well. hoping to lose 30 more, but it's coming off more slowly now. I'm not biking nearly as often (have a weird schedule and a newborn) and I'm easing up a tiny bit on little pleasures like a chocolate now and again.

maybe when it warms up I'll be motivated to ride outside =)
Old 02-02-07, 10:42 AM
mlh122

Bikes: Trek 4500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when i started my diet/exercise i wasn't worried about jeans because those you can get cheap at goodwill untill you're at your target weight. for dress pants i got some adjustable ones. they are regular slacks with little straps that slide into the waist. you can't tell they are there as the part where they slide under is under a belt loop. and if you wear a belt you can't see any of the mechanism anyway. they adjust from size 42 to 32.
Old 02-02-07, 01:26 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BroMax
Some day, I want to go to a first rate haberdasher in my underwear and say "dress me!"
haberdasher (n):
1. a retail dealer in men's furnishings, as shirts, ties, gloves, socks, and hats.
2. Chiefly British. a dealer in small wares and notions.

You might want to consider a pair of pants, too. While a natty ensemble of shirt and tie with matching socks and hat may look sharp, most establishments frown upon the pantless.
Old 02-14-07, 05:26 PM
nowheels

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I went down from a 40 to a 37/36 over a year ago, but I kept my old pants and just drilled another belt hole. About a month ago my wife looked at me and told that my pants were so baggy, that I could have fit our 9 yr. old in there with me. Needless to day, I had to replace 20 pairs of pants....$$$$$

Old 02-14-07, 06:31 PM
BroMax
The Other White Meat

Bikes: Raleigh Sports 3 speed, Torker T-530

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
haberdasher (n):
1. a retail dealer in men's furnishings, as shirts, ties, gloves, socks, and hats.
2. Chiefly British. a dealer in small wares and notions.

You might want to consider a pair of pants, too. While a natty ensemble of shirt and tie with matching socks and hat may look sharp, most establishments frown upon the pantless.
Pants too? It's no wonder the demands of modern life cause so many people to complain of stress.
In London, I'd know where to shop without asking for a haberdasher; but I wouldn't think of it unless the £ sterling gets a lot cheaper. Apparently some dialectic differences are not transatlantic. This is the definition I had in mind:

https://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=haberdasher

Last edited by BroMax; 02-15-07 at 01:25 AM.
Old 02-19-07, 09:10 PM
strider5

Bikes: GT MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
down like 35 pounds now (25 to go). loving my new work pants, and went and bought new jeans--retired my 42-inch-waist pairs and bought 38s!!

bought myself one of those tiny ipod shuffles and loaded 5 songs on it to keep my cadence at the right place without having to pay attention to the computer (and to kill the boredom, duh). I only have time for 20 minutes a day, but that basically means 18 minutes within 50-75% range. getting really excited for spring!!!

keep up the hope everybody!! here's to everyone hitting their 2007 goals!!
Old 02-20-07, 02:27 AM
bsut
just a commuter

Bikes: 1999 Specialized Allez Elite Triple, 197? Melton Tandem, 1972 Oxford 24" unicycle, 1973 Oxford 20" giraffe unicycle, lots of others in the family fleet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I re-started daily commuting (15 miles each way) in June, I weighed 250 lbs and I wore 40 waist jeans. My bike computer shows ~4800 miles since I replaced the battery in May. In the fall I bought a few 38 waist jeans. On Friday I saw 219.5 lbs and some of my 38s are way too big. Also on Friday I went to a health screening event and saw BP=118/67, total cholesterol 161. The doctor said to keep doing whatever I'm doing :-)