Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Getting the runaround from shops?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-23, 11:12 AM
jpc2001
No Motor Vehicles

Bikes: '85 Schwinn Super LeTour, '84 Miyata 310, '76 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 15 Posts

​​​​​I've been to three different shops that didn't seem interested in working on my bike.

It's an 80s Schwinn Super Le Tour. Was riding great til I got hit by a car. (I am okay!) The car contacted the handlebars and probably the front wheel which got tacoed.

After replacing the wheel the bike handles funny. If you let go, it wants to turn left and dump you over to the right. So it requires constant corrections.

I suspect it needs a fork. (surely the stem and bars don't influence how it behaves with no hands?) The steerer tube is tilted a bit left off the center line of the fork crown and tines.

Is there a reason mechanics don't want to touch this?

My guess is that it's not falsifiable: you can tell if a wheel is true or if a derailer can hold a gear or if a tire holds air. But "bike handles funny" -- who can say if it's fixed? So maybe they're nervous that I won't be satisfied with any repair.

​​​​Or are all the shops as busy as they say ("service is booked months out")?

Why not fix it myself. Maybe I could. I'm no mechanic. My first fear is it's not the fork. My second fear is I'll try to buy a fork online and it won't fit on some dimension.

Maybe I could ask a shop for an upgraded fork, instead of phrasing it as a repair for a mystery ailment? At least that makes the job bounded and safer for them to accept.

​​​​​
Old 10-10-23, 11:36 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
They probably don’t want the liability if you go on to crash because something else was damaged. Frame might not be in good shape.
Old 10-10-23, 11:41 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 3,999 Times in 2,668 Posts
It could be that the frame is toast as well in that crash your frame could have gotten damaged. It is also not a valuable frame so the repairs to it could be worth more than the bike was worth new. Also finding the right fork can be tough if that is really the only issue (which is doubtful) a 27" wheel fork is not a common thing anymore and trying to find a proper fork at the correct length with the right amount of threading is not really that easy 40 years on when threaded forks are uncommon and 27" wheels are even less so. While it is still possible to find stuff it is maybe not worth the time and effort on an old 80s bike that was not a high end or valuable rare bike back in the day.

It could also be that you won't be satisfied with your repair if you go in uptight and with a more aggressive tone which I have seen before then yes we might just say this is not one we want to touch. I know I have dealt with some customers who just cannot be satisfied no matter how much you bend over backwards for them or help them out. Maybe you aren't that way I don't know I don't know you but sometimes you can get a feeling and on such an old bike putting tons of work into it for little money just isn't well worth it.
Old 10-10-23, 11:47 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
After reading the original post, I can so no fault with a shop declining to work on that bike. Quite likely, if they gave the owner an estimate to fix what might be wrong, he would not like that either.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 10-10-23, 11:53 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Glad you're ok... But why not replace the bike with another Super Le Tour that hasn't been in a bad crash. Surely, you could find a similar bike well under $200.

If you want the crashed bike back on the road, you need to find a frame builder to realign it.

You should also post drive-side pics of the full bike.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-10-23, 12:39 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Possible explanations:
1) You can't get replacement parts to service a bike that old.
2) They don't want the liability if the whole frame is toast
3) They're all younger than the bike and don't know how to work on it
4) Being unequipped to work on a bike that old, they'd rather not do the work than do a substandard job.
5) Or you could simply believe whatever they told you when they turned down the work.

FWIW, I used to drive a 30 yr old Volvo. Great car. Loved it. But Volvo dealers wouldn't touch it. I had to find a vintage Volvo shop who specialized in the older models, knew how to work on them, and had a supply of the necessary parts and tools.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-10-23, 12:52 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
Find a non-profit bike rescue place. They probably don't really care about liability, since they make you work on it yourself, while teaching you. Plus, you can find a used compatible fork for peanuts. If it turns out not the fork and actual frame, it will set you off a whole $3 and a bit of time.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 10-10-23, 01:12 PM
ign1te

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Nothing special about the bike. Take it to the dump and get a new one.
Likes For ign1te:
Old 10-10-23, 01:41 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
You've run into two or three reasons shops don't want to service you.

1- plain old snobbishness, wherein shops don't like working of "crappy old bikes"
2- CYA issues, wherein shops are afraid to work on crash damaged bikes out of concern of being sued over subsequent failures due to hidden damage.
3- Skills shortage, wherein their mechanics aren't able to economically and effectively diagnose the causes for your steering issue, which MIGHT be a fork, frame, or combination.

You're in the Boston area, and I suggest you seek a co-op there because these people are far more likely to be interested in serving your needs. If they're still around I suggest you visit the Broadway Bike School in Cambridge.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-10-23, 01:51 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
You've run into two or three reasons shops don't want to service you.

1- plain old snobbishness, wherein shops don't like working of "crappy old bikes"
2- CYA issues, wherein shops are afraid to work on crash damaged bikes out of concern of being sued over subsequent failures due to hidden damage.
3- Skills shortage, wherein their mechanics aren't able to economically and effectively diagnose the causes for your steering issue, which MIGHT be a fork, frame, or combination.
All this, plus:
4- Unrealistic customer expectations. They spend time and money on the bike, it still isn't perfect, and now customer doesn't want to pay because they didn't "fix it".

I don't think I'd even consider a repair for damage like this on a GOOD bike, let a lone an 80's bike boom bike.
Old 10-10-23, 02:47 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Exactly what did they say when they declined?
If they remained mute and communicated with hand signals, did you think to ask them?

There's more than 1 side to this story.
I'm guessing they told you, but you don't want to listen.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 10-10-23 at 02:50 PM.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 10-10-23, 02:55 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
All this, plus:
4- Unrealistic customer expectations. They spend time and money on the bike, it still isn't perfect, and now customer doesn't want to pay because they didn't "fix it".

I don't think I'd even consider a repair for damage like this on a GOOD bike, let a lone an 80's bike boom bike.
Agreed, though I tend to be more willing to tackle these issued.

However, this is another reason to visit a co-op or a shop owned or managed by a skilled mechanic. This kind of work rarely is easy, nor does it tend to command a reasonable price, but that's offset by its value for training newer mechanics.

Co-ops and top shops work like university or teaching hospitals, where complex issues have a value of their own.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 10-10-23, 02:58 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
If they remained mute and communicated with hand signals, did you think to ask them?

sounds from the OP that they said they were booked up for yonks
Old 10-10-23, 03:01 PM
FBinNY 

It's not the question that gets a straight answer. Often the answer will be a deflection, with "it's not safe", or "it can't be fixed", or
"they don't make the parts anymore" are really code for "not interested".

I never push those issues, and simply keep looking until I find someone with both the skill and desire to do the job right.

Old 10-10-23, 03:20 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
It's not the question that gets a straight answer. Often the answer will be a deflection, with "it's not safe", or "it can't be fixed", or
"they don't make the parts anymore" are really code for "not interested".

I never push those issues, and simply keep looking until I find someone with both the skill and desire to do the job right.
I'm thinking the shop probably doesn't want to spend the time researching exactly what fork will have the proper rake, length for a 27"/ tire, brakes? + what got damaged on the bar in addition to the bar. Add a possible bent frame?
It may have much to do w/ a lack of knowledge of how to measure and where to look for "old compatible" parts. Very possible if there isn't an old codger working there.
A lot of time spent for likely a rather high $ estimate that will be declined.
Maybe if the OP stated "MONEY IS NO OBJECT"????
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 10-10-23, 04:07 PM
FBinNY 

I'm thinking the shop probably doesn't want to spend the time researching exactly what fork will have the proper rake, length for a 27"/ tire, brakes? + what got damaged on the bar in addition to the bar. Add a possible bent frame?
It may have much to do w/ a lack of knowledge of how to measure and where to look for "old compatible" parts. Very possible if there isn't an old codger working there.
A lot of time spent for likely a rather high $ estimate that will be declined.
Maybe if the OP stated "MONEY IS NO OBJECT"????
As I said, I never push when someone appears uninterested in a job, whether it's a roofer, car mechanic, Dr. or anything else. That includes both code talk and straight talk.

Pressuring someone to take on a job they dont wany is the best recipe for bad outcomes, sometimes followed by "well, I told you so!"

It's much simpler to find the right guy, or accept that maybe it shouldn't be done after all.

Last edited by FBinNY; 10-24-23 at 07:57 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-10-23, 06:12 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Old 10-10-23, 06:20 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Fork trail/rake here.
​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...r-le-tour.html

​​​​​​https://bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/MOD...Le%20Tour.html
Old 10-10-23, 06:22 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by jpc2001
​​​​​
Maybe I could ask a shop for an upgraded fork, instead of phrasing it as a repair for a mystery ailment? At least that makes the job bounded and safer for them to accept.

​​​​​
Even if they would entertain that notion, you still would have a bike that doesn't handle properly if the fork isn't the problem.

Post pictures of your fork in the C&V forum and ask about frame alignment there.

Old 10-10-23, 07:01 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4410 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Shops can't really align frames. They can re-center stays, align dropouts and make small bends to the fork legs. They don't have alignment tables or good ways of untwisting head tube/seat tube twists. And they certainly can't make damage to the head/downtube junction go away.

27" replacement forks are probably still relatively cheap and common. If you want that work done and only that work, order one and take it to a shop for installation. When it is installed, anything that remains wrong is outside the scope of fork installation and is your problem.

I've bought fantastic '80s and '90s road bikes for $100 with 105 and 600 - much nicer than a Le Tour. The minimum repair on this bike is going to be $150. Cut your losses.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 10-10-23, 08:14 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 264 Posts
Surely you got some sort of nice insurance settlement.
If not, I recommend pursuing. That oughtta provide some funds to upgrade to a new bike.
Old 10-10-23, 09:03 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by jpc2001
Is there a reason mechanics don't want to touch this?

My guess is that it's not falsifiable: you can tell if a wheel is true or if a derailer can hold a gear or if a tire holds air. But "bike handles funny" -- who can say if it's fixed? So maybe they're nervous that I won't be satisfied with any repair.

​​​​Or are all the shops as busy as they say ("service is booked months out")?

Why not fix it myself. Maybe I could. I'm no mechanic. My first fear is it's not the fork. My second fear is I'll try to buy a fork online and it won't fit on some dimension.

​​​​​
A good shop will have the tools or a good workaraound to check the alignment on a frame. A better shop would be able to fix the alignment on bent steel frame if it isn't too bad. Straightening forks, on the other hand is hit-or-miss, mostly miss. But on the bright side, replacements are available for almost any application. On the other hand some bikes might not be worth the work you'd need to put into them. Find a shop that will at least look at it and give you a report of what's wrong and an estimate to fix it.
Old 10-11-23, 08:48 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
I don't think you are getting the run-a-round. Your bike has major damages that they can't address under normal circumstance.

I have no idea of their diagnosis.

A frame builder can look at it but they could have the same answer or tell you a silly number to address.

With all that effort it's probably not worth the while, I would locate a co-op donate the crunchy and pick up a new crusty to rebuild.
Old 10-11-23, 09:41 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
I agree with the others. Just go out and get a good used bike. One can sometimes find a deal C-list or some other for sales listing.
Old 10-12-23, 09:07 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts
The days of junk yard fix bike shops are long gone, like 50 years ago.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 10-12-23 at 09:12 AM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.