Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Disk brake pad recommendations?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-23, 12:33 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts

Whatever pads the bike shop put on my bike seem to allow grit to embed into the pads which cause the pads to make an annoying gritty sound when braking. I frequently take the pads off and sand them a smidgen to clean the surface. That makes the sound go away for a few rides, but then the sound comes back.

What brake pads would you guys recommend? This is my first bike with disk brakes, so it's all new for me.
Old 12-01-23, 08:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
KoolStop or SwissStop for any brake pads!

Though I would recommend posting what pads you currently have or at least what disc brakes or some more useful info to help figure things out more if it is a different issue or something.
Old 12-01-23, 09:27 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
KoolStop or SwissStop for any brake pads!

Though I would recommend posting what pads you currently have or at least what disc brakes or some more useful info to help figure things out more if it is a different issue or something.
Thanks. - I'm not sure what pads the bike shop put on my bike when they replaced my pads. I didn't have this problem with the original pads. It seems unusual to me to have this issue with brake pads so I do understand. The brakes are Shimano MT 500 hydraulic.

I just read organic pads are the quietest. Do metallic pad typically make that scrubby sound? The pads I have don't make that sound at first, it's only after I've ridden 20 - 60 miles. Maybe I should be go with organic pads if that sound bothers me?

Last edited by mtnbud; 12-01-23 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-02-23, 05:36 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud
Thanks. - I'm not sure what pads the bike shop put on my bike when they replaced my pads. I didn't have this problem with the original pads. It seems unusual to me to have this issue with brake pads so I do understand. The brakes are Shimano MT 500 hydraulic.

I just read organic pads are the quietest. Do metallic pad typically make that scrubby sound? The pads I have don't make that sound at first, it's only after I've ridden 20 - 60 miles. Maybe I should be go with organic pads if that sound bothers me?
It sounds like the pad material itself may be quiet, but it allows grit to get imbedded. An organic pad may start out quiet and get noisy. Matallic are probably going to start out noisier and quiet down a bit as they break in. At least that has been my very limited experience. Hopefully someone with more experience will pipe up on that.

I'd suggest figuring out what pad is on the bike (It may well be organic). There should be a model number on the pads. If not the shop who installed them may know what they used or visually recognise them. I'd also figure out what was on it to start with if possible. All that might be helpful in figuring out what will work well for you in the conditions you ride in.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 12-02-23, 07:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud

Organic can generally be quiet but I don't have noisy pads too often with metallic or semi-metallic but I tend to get better braking with those and they last a little longer. If I do have noisy stuff it will usually quiet down after riding a bit or something is contaminated (thanks Shimano, though they did replace the old caliper and the new one was fine but they didn't replace the rotor and I cleaned it and burned it and thought I could save it and then it contaminated the new pads and I hadn't ridden the bike in a while and forgot and got a new rotor because I wanted to go larger...you get the picture.
Likes For veganbikes: