Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Suspension Fork NEWB here. Need one for my Ti Salsa Timberjack

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-23, 12:38 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts

Preface, I’m a 6’3” 280# Clydesdale. I know there’s a Clydesdale subpage but I thought to start here.

Previously I’ve used my rigid Fatbike or Salsa Fargo for light trails, occasional single track, bikepacking and cross country. Wife surprised me with the Ti Timberjack frame for Christmas! My first foray into suspension, could use some guidance on what to get. Budget, under $1K. I’m not a racer and don’t do jumps . Thanks in advance.
Old 12-26-23, 10:19 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
This is a great time to be looking for a fork (and other parts if you need them too). I have a Giant 29'er with entry level Rock Shox suspension and it's effective in pretty serious terrain, but most will suggest something more expensive like a Pike. One consideration if you need wheels etc is to purchase a complete bike, transfer the parts, then sell the frame (be careful that the wheels have the same spacing, and it's very likely you'll need a different seat post).
Old 12-26-23, 10:24 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Originally Posted by 2old
This is a great time to be looking for a fork (and other parts if you need them too). I have a Giant 29'er with entry level Rock Shox suspension and it's effective in pretty serious terrain, but most will suggest something more expensive like a Pike. One consideration if you need wheels etc is to purchase a complete bike, transfer the parts, then sell the frame (be careful that the wheels have the same spacing, and it's very likely you'll need a different seat post).
I enjoy building my bikes. I already have the Ti frame, that was the point of my post. I already have my wheelset and a half dozen used components laying around too (seat, post, handlebars, pedals, stem, other).

I’m just new to front suspensions as I’ve been riding rigid frames.

I already pulled the trigger on a Fox 34 with 130mm of travel. Great deals going on right now, got over 40% offf

Last edited by Toadmeister; 12-26-23 at 02:00 PM.
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 12-26-23, 12:45 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister

I’m just new to front suspensions as I’ve been riding rigid frames.

I already pulled the trigger on a Fox 32 with 130mm of travel. Great deals going on right now, got over 40% offf
It's possible you might find the Fox 32 a bit flexy for your (and mine) weight range. If at all possible, I would suggest a Fox 34 (which version of the 34 depends on you, the Rythm version is simple to use and stiff)or a Marzocchi Z2 (which is essentially a Fox 34 Rythm but a bit heavier and even stiffer to handle our weight at a better price). Either can be had at 130mm and can always be upgraded to 140 or 150mm.
Old 12-26-23, 01:59 PM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by travbikeman
It's possible you might find the Fox 32 a bit flexy for your (and mine) weight range. If at all possible, I would suggest a Fox 34 (which version of the 34 depends on you, the Rythm version is simple to use and stiff)or a Marzocchi Z2 (which is essentially a Fox 34 Rythm but a bit heavier and even stiffer to handle our weight at a better price). Either can be had at 130mm and can always be upgraded to 140 or 150mm.

oops, I did get the Fox 34, that was just a typo!
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 12-26-23, 04:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
The Fox would be a good fork. I put an older (but brand new at the time) SID XX fork on mine which is only 100mm of travel and I realize I want more travel so 130 would be a good choice.

You will love the bike though it is a fantastic bike. I am currently running 203 at the front and 180 at the rear with XT 4 pot calipers and running a mostly XT drivetrain minus SLX cranks only because I was able to sell my SLX and had the XT stuff in the parts bin already from a build I didn't complete.
Likes For veganbikes: