Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Exercise routine help

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Exercise routine help

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-18, 08:31 AM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Exercise routine help

Hello, I know there are threads about heart monitors and cadence sensors. I basicly want a affordable and easy to use real time heart rate and cadence feedback. I want to figure out a sprint and recover exercise routine. Once I know what it feels like I will probably ditch the heart moniter and maybe both of them. If I can do it with my phone or phone and another device that would be great. I don't care about my route, or my top speed. So far I've been standing and mashing and sitting and spinning, but I would like to know my heart rate and my cadance. I don't think my heart rate is high enough for what Im trying to do and I don't want to go back to running (sprint and recover). Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-04-18, 08:35 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well if you want accuracy down to interval and recovery periods, I’ve found that there is nothing more accurate than a chest strap. I use the Garmin premium and have nothing negative to say about it. I previously used a wrist monitor for years, and was constantly getting frustrated with drop outs and time it took to ‘stabilize’ or adjust to spikes.
Old 07-04-18, 08:41 AM
baldilocks

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by deapee
Well if you want accuracy down to interval and recovery periods, I’ve found that there is nothing more accurate than a chest strap. I use the Garmin premium and have nothing negative to say about it. I previously used a wrist monitor for years, and was constantly getting frustrated with drop outs and time it took to ‘stabilize’ or adjust to spikes.
So what dose the chest strap send info to. Would it be my android smart phone?
Old 07-04-18, 08:43 AM
baldilocks

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I don't know if my phone does ant and I didn't see blue tooth on the Garmin premium.
Old 07-04-18, 12:06 PM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Phones tend not to do ANT+.

I have a Polar H7 Bluetooth+ heart rate monitor. It can talk to many fitness apps on mobile phones. I use it for running and weight training. It is extremely accurate, to the point of medical equipment accurate - I also have my own portable ECG machine at home for comparison.

For cycling it's a little bit more tricky as you'll need a cycling computer with Bluetooth+ sensor capability if you want to use the same Bluetooth+ chest strap.

Specifically for cycling I use a Garmin Premium heart rate chest strap paired to my Garmin Edge 1000 cycle computer. I also have cadence and speed sensors on my bikes so the Garmin Edge 1000 reads data from all of them during a ride.

The Garmin Edge 1000 then uploads my cycling activity to Garmin Connect (website) at the end a ride and this data is then picked up by Endomodo so all my fitness activities end up in Endomondo fo analysis.

That's the mechanics of how my fitness metrics work.

If you can find a cycling app for a mobile phone AND cadence sensors that will talk Bluetooth+ to a fitness app AND the fitness app can read data from a heart rate chest strap then you'll be able to use your mobile. Bear in mind that it will zap your phone's battery very quickly so you'll probably need to keep your workouts at under an hour or so.

Dedicated cycling computers have a big battery-life advantage over mobile phones, plus you'll be able to see the screen all the time when you're riding. I've got my Edge 1000 to warn me visually and with a beep when my heart rate exceeds a given value which is great for HIIT training within safe heart-rate limits.
Old 07-05-18, 04:46 AM
baldilocks

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks, there are so many different products. I may just try to start with the hart rate monitor till I can sort all the cycling fittness apps out.
Old 07-05-18, 08:20 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
From cheap to expensive:
1. Cateye Strada with cadence ($50) bike computer for cadence, $100 or so Polar HRM -- chest strap plus wrist unit you could mount on the bars. You'll have to keep track mentally of what it takes to get your pulse up.
2. Cateye Strada with cadence ($50) bike computer for cadence, Wahoo Bluetooth HRM strap ($60?), hooked to some app on your cell phone ($??), cell phone holder ($??) More trouble to put all the parts together, and again, your brain is the recording function.
3. GPS with matching (ANT+ or Bluetooth) HRM chest strap and cadence, Garmin 520-ish or Wahoo Figure it'll cost $300-400 to get it all. One time set up and pairing headache, but it should record all your data so you can look through it after the ride to figure out what your plan should be.