Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Higher end gravel bikes- e.g., Warbird and...what else?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Higher end gravel bikes- e.g., Warbird and...what else?

Old 04-13-20, 11:12 AM
gevad 

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Cannondale Topstone, Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
HI MinnMan. Now that you've had the Warbird for several weeks, and, hopefully, a bunch of rides, do you have some further thoughts on the bike? Thanks.
Old 04-13-20, 11:40 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts
Originally Posted by gevad
HI MinnMan. Now that you've had the Warbird for several weeks, and, hopefully, a bunch of rides, do you have some further thoughts on the bike? Thanks.
Well, the situation is not what I thought it would be....

I've ridden the bike a fair bit on pavement, and I like it a lot. Of course, the April gravel events are all cancelled. And to make a long story short, the current circumstances make it difficult for me to access gravel on my own a the moment. So, provisionally, the bike is great, but I haven't been able to use it for its original purpose.

Adjusting to the subcompact chain rings (48/36) is a little strange when riding on mostly flat paved roads, I'll appreciate that setup more on gravel and hills.
Old 04-13-20, 12:53 PM
gevad 

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Cannondale Topstone, Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse

Well, the situation is not what I thought it would be....

I've ridden the bike a fair bit on pavement, and I like it a lot. Of course, the April gravel events are all cancelled. And to make a long story short, the current circumstances make it difficult for me to access gravel on my own a the moment. So, provisionally, the bike is great, but I haven't been able to use it for its original purpose.

Adjusting to the subcompact chain rings (48/36) is a little strange when riding on mostly flat paved roads, I'll appreciate that setup more on gravel and hills.
Thanks for the update. When things loosen up, and I presume they will eventually, I hope you get out for a bunch of nice gravel rides.

A couple of questions: You have 48/36 chain rings? I thought the bike came with a 46/30? And are you using the stock tires -- Taravail Cannonball 42mm according to the Salsa website? Any thoughts on those?

Thanks. And good luck with everything.
Old 04-13-20, 12:57 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

I budgeted for and purchased a 2nd set of wheels specifically to keep a road setup. I swap from a wheels set that has the 11-34 cassette and 37 (or 45) gravel tires, to the "road" wheelset, with a 12-25 cassette and 28mm road tires - that ended up as 31mm when used on a wide 23mm rim. As this road setup is also my fast commute setup, it works great.
Old 04-13-20, 01:08 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts
Originally Posted by gevad
Thanks for the update. When things loosen up, and I presume they will eventually, I hope you get out for a bunch of nice gravel rides.

A couple of questions: You have 48/36 chain rings? I thought the bike came with a 46/30? And are you using the stock tires -- Taravail Cannonball 42mm according to the Salsa website? Any thoughts on those?

Thanks. And good luck with everything.
No, you are right. They are 46/30. I was just thinking of something else.

So far I'm using the stock tires. The bike rolls surprisingly well with on them on pavement. I don't plan to make any changes until I get some experience on actual gravel.
Old 04-13-20, 01:23 PM
gevad 

Thanks.