Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire size question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tire size question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-19, 02:19 PM
liampboyle

Bikes: 2007 Kona Caldera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Tire size question

Okay, I picked up a used Kona Caldera that I want to modify for "commute" cycling. It has the original Sun Black Eye rims 559x22mm - What is the thinnest tire width that would fit these rims properly? I was thinking of getting some Schwalbe Marathon Plus HS tires because of flat resistance.
Old 10-10-19, 02:41 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 875 Posts
Whatever size, I want to be at least a couple mm wider than the exterior width of the rim minimum.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 10-10-19, 03:15 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Here is a chart with some tire/rim width suggestions, scroll most of the way down to see the chart. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html Note that the suggestions are not hard-and-fast. Thinner tires are not necessarily faster and are IMO less comfortable with the requisite pressure. Here's some info:
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2010/...-and-pressure/
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2016/...ure-take-home/
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 10-10-19, 10:10 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 376 Posts
If you want to stick with the Marathon Plus, the narrowest goes for your rim is 1.35" or 35mm: https://www.schwalbetires.com/node/377

Also: https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...4&category=178

I agree with the others: narrow tires are not necessarily faster than fatter tires for the equivalent tire pressure. If your commute's pavement is rough, you may want to step up to the 1.50" or 44mm width.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 10-11-19, 05:09 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I have some Michelin Proteks in my basement in the 26 x 1.4" size (35-622). I used them on an older MTB for about a minute. They were rock-hard and didn't really serve to make biking easier (like I had hoped). Their replacements (26 x 1.75, or 44-559) Michelin Country Rock tires were much more comfortable and seemed to be just as fast.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 10-11-19, 08:10 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Another vote for a wider tire. The Schwalbe Marathon Plus HS is available in a 26 x 1.75 width which would be a better match for your bike. The narrower the tire, the higher the pressure needed, the harsher the ride. Back when I commuted on a 26" wheel bike, I found that anything under that size was brutally stiff to ride on and no faster than the wider tire it replaced
Old 10-11-19, 08:35 AM
liampboyle

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for all the advice everybody, I think I'm going to go with the Marathon 26"x2"
Old 10-11-19, 08:46 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by liampboyle
Thanks for all the advice everybody, I think I'm going to go with the Marathon 26"x2"
Good choice. Your smiles/mile will be fantastic.
Old 10-11-19, 08:49 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I'll take issue with some of the folks above. I'd say it depends. On the road quality you face (as was pointed out above) but also on your weight. I'm a big guy, and trying to fit 23mm tires on a 22mm rim would be insanity (For both comfort and practicality/reliability). If you weigh 120 lbs, you could start considering smaller tires. But as others have pointed out, smaller isn't necessarily faster, easier to pedal. And narrow tires won't be as comfortable over bumps.

So if you're smaller (e.g. less heavy) than average, you might want to consider pushing it and going smaller, but for that rim (I can't find interior rim width, so I'm assuming that 22mm is outside with, minus 2 mm per side for rim thickness, to give an inside rim width of 18mm) a tire of about 28mm would work fine. And you could push it if you're light and go to 25mm. I'd probably ride that wheel with 32 or 35mm because I'm a big guy. For practicality, comfort and reliablity I'd likely ride it with 32mm tires.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 10-11-19 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-11-19, 09:18 AM
liampboyle

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
I'll take issue with some of the folks above. I'd say it depends. On the road quality you face (as was pointed out above) but also on your weight. I'm a big guy, and trying to fit 23mm tires on a 22mm rim would be insanity (For both comfort and practicality/reliability). If you way 120 lbs, you could start considering smaller tires. But as others have pointed out, smaller isn't necessarily faster, easier to pedal. And narrow tires won't be as comfortable over bumps.

So if you're smaller (e.g. less heavy) than average, you might want to consider pushing it and going smaller, but for that rim (I can't find interior rim width, so I'm assuming that 22mm is outside with, minus 2 mm per side for rim thickness, to give an inside rim width of 18mm) a tire of about 28mm would work fine. And you could push it if you're light and go to 25mm. I'd probably ride that wheel with 32 or 35mm because I'm a big guy. For practicality, comfort and reliablity I'd likely ride it with 32mm tires.
I'm not a huge guy, but I'm not exactly small either and I do have some rough roads, so I think the wider tires would work best, thanks to the advice everybody gave me
Old 10-11-19, 09:42 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

liampboyle (gee, are you Irish?), I weigh 245# more or less. When I was a kid (and knew nothing) working in the bike shop and was a bikie it was all about getting 22mm tubular tires and such. We were idiots. With age comes perspective. I think you'll be very happy with moderately sized tires - more comfort and the same or even less rolling resistance.

For my road bike (pretty smooth pavement, out in the country, few stops) I use 26mm tires. I probably could go 28mm. For some other bikes I'm refurbing I'm using 1-1/8 (28mm) and 1-1/4 inch (32mm or so) tires. Very comfortable.
Old 10-11-19, 10:09 AM
liampboyle

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Wizard, no not Irish at all .... what would ever give you that idea </sarcasm>

yeah, Irish descent family.
Old 10-11-19, 12:32 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

We have a family next door with names like Thomas, Colleen, Brendan, Aidan, Declan and Quintan. Seeing Liam reminded me of that.
Likes For WizardOfBoz: