Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I really like the C&V subforum!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 11-26-19, 11:46 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts

I am a fair bit of a bike geek, but, man, this forum is spectacular, SO much knowledge here. I have more of an early MTB background, but I have recently grown an affinity for all things asphalt, and I do so love the pics posted here of older high performance steel. I may, or may, not end up with an older high end road bike, but I will always appreciate the attention to detail of this forum!
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 11-27-19, 12:22 AM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Agreed! This place is incredible & its members are a great bunch of folk. In fact, nowhere else have I’ve ever encountered a more respectable bunch of enablers! 😂
Old 11-27-19, 02:33 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
Heh, heh misery loves company and we got lots of company, its fantastic!
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-27-19, 06:16 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Enablers all are we.
Welcome, and fair warning!
Old 11-27-19, 08:14 AM
Whit51 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Have learned a tremendous amount from this forum over the years, including building and repair tips and which bikes to snap up when they show up for sale cheap. First thing I read every morning.
Old 11-27-19, 08:14 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,925 Times in 1,760 Posts
You life is not complete until you taste the C&V "wine". Or is some cases....overindulge!

Welcome to the forum and go ahead and pick up some classic steel. You KNOW you want to!
Old 11-27-19, 10:52 AM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Welcome to the forum and go ahead and pick up some classic steel. You KNOW you want to!
Well, I can make an argument that I should have a C&V asphalt burner at my parents home so I don't have to travel with a bike when I visit them! I'd love a Raleigh with Cottered cranks actually, I'll have to do some CL browsing out in California (I live in Idaho, CL has nothing for C&V bikes here) and see whats around, I'll be out there for Xmas...

I have some classic steel bikes around, Hercules 3 speeds and Raleigh 3 speeds, I did a full restomod build on a Hercules 15 years ago, its a very functional and fun bike, 700c wheelset, ti BB, aluminum bars/stem and seatpost, here it is lounging on the shores of Lake Tahoe after a century ride,

I really should put up a build/detail thread for my Hercules, as it is a fairly unique build, although I'm sure there are similar builds floating around here in the C&V forum!

I also have a tall bike that I built, here are a couple older pics of it, its rides great, frame is dead straight, rides no hands beautifully... I can run my road bike wheels in it with center pull brakes or I can swap it to 26" wheels and run cantilever brakes on it. I do take the tall bike on quasi real bike rides, I've ridden several half centuries with it and have climbed some serious mountain on it too, both asphalt and gravel, And believe it or not, I've had this tall bike well over 50 MPH on numerous occasions!

Old 11-27-19, 10:56 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,925 Times in 1,760 Posts
^ You're gonna fit right in here!
Old 11-27-19, 12:24 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
I am a fair bit of a bike geek, but, man, this forum is spectacular, SO much knowledge here. I have more of an early MTB background, but I have recently grown an affinity for all things asphalt, and I do so love the pics posted here of older high performance steel. I may, or may, not end up with an older high end road bike, but I will always appreciate the attention to detail of this forum!
Early MTBs are more than welcome, too! I'm just scratching the surface of that subject lately myself, but if you have a favorite old-school MTB, search for say 'Stumpjumper' or 'Fat Chance' and you'll find lots of enthusiasm. Also a couple of threads on building them up as either drop bar or commuter style bikes. The Mtn Bike subforum here also sometimes has posts about older bikes but mostly they seem to regard them as curiosities.

Last edited by Chicago Al; 11-27-19 at 12:37 PM.
Likes For Chicago Al:
Old 11-27-19, 01:04 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Well, I can make an argument that I should have a C&V asphalt burner at my parents home so I don't have to travel with a bike when I visit them! I'd love a Raleigh with Cottered cranks actually, I'll have to do some CL browsing out in California (I live in Idaho, CL has nothing for C&V bikes here) and see whats around, I'll be out there for Xmas...

I have some classic steel bikes around, Hercules 3 speeds and Raleigh 3 speeds, I did a full restomod build on a Hercules 15 years ago, its a very functional and fun bike, 700c wheelset, ti BB, aluminum bars/stem and seatpost, here it is lounging on the shores of Lake Tahoe after a century ride,

I really should put up a build/detail thread for my Hercules, as it is a fairly unique build, although I'm sure there are similar builds floating around here in the C&V forum!

I also have a tall bike that I built, here are a couple older pics of it, its rides great, frame is dead straight, rides no hands beautifully... I can run my road bike wheels in it with center pull brakes or I can swap it to 26" wheels and run cantilever brakes on it. I do take the tall bike on quasi real bike rides, I've ridden several half centuries with it and have climbed some serious mountain on it too, both asphalt and gravel, And believe it or not, I've had this tall bike well over 50 MPH on numerous occasions!

When you say built, do you mean "made" as in built the frame?
Old 11-27-19, 01:05 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Nice work on that Hercules. A very cool bike.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 11-27-19, 01:13 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
I'm scared to ask questions about that tall bike.. something I don't need to get in to.
Old 11-27-19, 01:18 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by merziac
When you say built, do you mean "made" as in built the frame?
Yep, got one bike from from the local dump and 2 from the thrift store, cut them up and welded them back together, with a MIG welder, the welds are totally functional, but certainly not pretty like TIG. So far I'm about $160 into the tall bike, and about 40 hours of my time.

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Nice work on that Hercules. A very cool bike.
Thanks! If for some reason I had to get rid of all but one of my bicycles, the Hercules would without question be my pick.

It a bit surprising how rarely anyone comments on it when I'm out and about on it, even bike shop geeks I know have almost zero interest in it. I find the history of cycling so amazing, so its hard for me to comprehend how people that are "into bikes" have no interest in the history of bicycles.
Old 11-27-19, 01:29 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by riva
I'm scared to ask questions about that tall bike.. something I don't need to get in to.
Spontaneous smiles don't happen all that often in our modern world, but that bike makes spontaneous smiles happen with such regularity its astounding. I have several bikes to choose from as my townie, and I'll ride the tall bike for a few weeks at a time, then other bikes for a few weeks or months, then back to the tall bike, and the looks on kids faces in particular are so good, a car will drive by me and there will be a kid in backseat freaking out yelling at his parents about my bike, adults love it too, hippies love it, and rednecks love it, if you drew a venn diagram of things that hippies love and rednecks love there would be virtually no overlap of those 2 circles, but this bike is there :-) Earlier this summer I was on a 40 mile loop around the valley here on the Tall bike and was approaching a highway crossing, there were 4 road bikers there on modern carbon road bikes, full spandex, and I pulled up next to them on my tall bike, the guy I was closest to slowly turned his head my direction and spontaneously blurt out laughter when he saw my bike, I track stood there for a moment (it track stands VERY well due to it being a taller inverted pendulum) until a gap in traffic came along and I crossed the highway, the roadies were still chuckling about my bike...
Old 11-27-19, 01:36 PM
merziac

Yep, got one bike from from the local dump and 2 from the thrift store, cut them up and welded them back together, with a MIG welder, the welds are totally functional, but certainly not pretty like TIG. So far I'm about $160 into the tall bike, and about 40 hours of my time.

Thanks! If for some reason I had to get rid of all but one of my bicycles, the Hercules would without question be my pick.

It a bit surprising how rarely anyone comments on it when I'm out and about on it, even bike shop geeks I know have almost zero interest in it. I find the history of cycling so amazing, so its hard for me to comprehend how people that are "into bikes" have no interest in the history of bicycles.
H**Y CRAP, that is flippin awesome!

You just rocked your way right into the very elite among us, fantastic!

Sadly I am not a builder but have huge respect for any and all who do.

My guy is Jim Merz (hence the avatar), PDX builder from about 72 to 82 when he went to work for his buddy Sinyard at Big S and had a big hand in changing the bike world in many, many ways both big and small.

Also hear you about C+V interest and/or lack thereof, even here in PDX the different tribes couldn't be more indifferent, you really have to seek out like minded folk and it can still be a real slog.

Last edited by merziac; 11-27-19 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-27-19, 01:41 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Yeah I've got enough bike storage issues without getting involved with those things. Don't get me started.
Old 11-27-19, 02:40 PM
jackbombay

H**Y CRAP, that is flippin awesome!
Thanks!

You just rocked your way right into the very elite among us, fantastic!
I'm flattered! I will say that I am *not* a "frame builder", I have built enough things in my life that I can figure out how to do a lot of stuff, but professional frame builders are gods amongst men! To line this frame up during the build I used a few little torpedo levels and some string :-P

Sadly I am not a builder but have huge respect for any and all who do.
I have a buddy in California that builds frames for a living, the precision with which he builds is magnificent!

Also hear you about C+V interest and/or lack thereof, even here in PDX the different tribes couldn't be more indifferent, you really have to seek out like minded folk and it can still be a real slog.
Thats a bit surprising for PDX, I figured there would be a half decent C&V society there, but I suppose to so many people, old bikes, are just old bikes :-(
Old 11-27-19, 04:31 PM
merziac

jackbombay

Well you may not have built it from scratch but you did a heck of a job with what you did do, looks great from here. We have plenty of tall bikes here but most are pretty crude which seems to be the vibe they are going for.

You may be on to something.
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-27-19, 05:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, these folks are pretty, pretty, pretty okay.
Old 11-27-19, 06:43 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Yup, these folks are pretty, pretty, pretty okay.
yeah, we need to find him one....
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 11-27-19, 06:58 PM
jackbombay

jackbombay

Well you may not have built it from scratch but you did a heck of a job with what you did do, looks great from here. We have plenty of tall bikes here but most are pretty crude which seems to be the vibe they are going for.

You may be on to something.
Thanks!

While I wanted a tall bike, I was certainly going for a more refined build, welding one frame to the top of another does get the rider up there, but that's kind of like a school in summer, no class! :-P I like them all really, the tall bike that gets made in half an afternoon, and the professionally built ones I saw in NYC a few years back. My bike is obviously in the middle, far from professionally built, but far from just 2 frames stacked on each other and zapped together.

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
A bike? I did find one in the classifieds here, a touch bigger than I'd like, but workable, the price is certainly right, It could use a disassembly and clean, but it doesn't need much, here is a link, I did PM the seller as well, he hasn't posted here in a bit, but hopefully he still has the bike.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post21225922
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 11-27-19, 07:02 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Yup. I'm thinking a penny farthing, given his inclination toward elevation.
Old 11-27-19, 07:21 PM
uncleivan 

Bikes: '92 MX Leader, 84 Colnago Mexico, 85 Recherche, 86 Panasonic ATB Pro, 88 Roberts, 80 moser... ect

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 67 Posts
I keep looking at the tall bike. What is the length of the toptube? Just trying to get a better sense of the size. I'd probably get hurt trying to ride it, but it wouldn't be the first error in judgement on my part. Very much like that it doesn't look like the usual two bikes more or less stacked on top of each other.
Old 11-27-19, 08:15 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by uncleivan
I keep looking at the tall bike. What is the length of the toptube?
59.5 cm from center of head tube to center of seat tube. The main triangle is untouched by me, having that to work from made it all fairly straightforward. The main triangle is a Specialized Hardrock, here is a pic before paint, it is hosted by photobucket so unless you have a photobucket "patch" for your browser it will be blurry I think,

Originally Posted by uncleivan
Just trying to get a better sense of the size. I'd probably get hurt trying to ride it, but it wouldn't be the first error in judgement on my part. Very much like that it doesn't look like the usual two bikes more or less stacked on top of each other.
Its actually very friendly and easy to ride, just watch the standover height :-P

But really, a bicycle is an inverted pendulum, as you make an inverted pendulum taller it becomes more stable, everyone that rides it is amazed at how friendly it is.
Old 11-27-19, 08:18 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
That bike is so tall it takes 5 seconds before it shifts!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.