Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

This might be a good winter

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-19, 12:39 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts

My motivation to ride in the winter ebbs and flows, but yesterday and today, I felt really good on the bike. For what it's worth, I'm talking about commuting, not recreation/fitness rides. About 3-1/2 miles of my 6-mile trip is along the river path, and the path has no motor vehicles but it has heavy winds. It's the most heavily used bike commuting route in the US. This week, it is surprisingly empty, and it got me thinking, maybe I'm better suited to cold weather than the average person. It's 35º-40ºF, and once I have my clothes sorted out, I just don't see a problem. My feet get a little cold, so I would need to do something else to be out for longer rides, but that's pretty much the worst of it.

I'm not super tough like you Minnesotans. I have some days when I just don't think it's worth the trouble. We get a lot of slippery stuff, since our temperature hovers right around freezing for much of the winter, and this, combined with the insane traffic we have, makes cycling dangerous. That's when I say no thank you at least on some days. But we have tons of people doing deliveries on bikes here in New York City, and we have for over a hundred years. These folks are tough. I see them out there in absolutely all weather.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 12-05-19, 06:11 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
I'm coming to some of the same realizations.

30's today, and with a base layer and a wool sweater, I was comfortable. I've got waterproof hiking boots like these:

They work fine with some older mountain pedals and loose plastic clips and straps. Platforms, too.

Other than extreme conditions, there really isn't any reason not to ride on through the season.
Old 12-06-19, 04:08 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
My motivation to ride in the winter ebbs and flows, but yesterday and today, I felt really good on the bike. For what it's worth, I'm talking about commuting, not recreation/fitness rides. About 3-1/2 miles of my 6-mile trip is along the river path, and the path has no motor vehicles but it has heavy winds. It's the most heavily used bike commuting route in the US. This week, it is surprisingly empty, and it got me thinking, maybe I'm better suited to cold weather than the average person. It's 35º-40ºF, and once I have my clothes sorted out, I just don't see a problem. My feet get a little cold, so I would need to do something else to be out for longer rides, but that's pretty much the worst of it.

I'm not super tough like you Minnesotans. I have some days when I just don't think it's worth the trouble. We get a lot of slippery stuff, since our temperature hovers right around freezing for much of the winter, and this, combined with the insane traffic we have, makes cycling dangerous. That's when I say no thank you at least on some days. But we have tons of people doing deliveries on bikes here in New York City, and we have for over a hundred years. These folks are tough. I see them out there in absolutely all weather.
Your post took me back to 1984 (yikes!), when I was a runner going to college in the City and also had to brave those winds along the river. I just hated it! But I did it, 'cuz that's just what we did back then.

Our winters up here are very mild, by comparison to my years in NYC and Boston. Our issue is water and lots of it. So, even though we don't have to gear up with legit cold-weather stuff often, we do have to gear up with anti-monsoon stuff allllll the time. And sometimes, you know, I just really don't feel like putting all that crap on. But I do it, because I know from experience that once I get out there on my bike all properly garbed, I am going to be feeling like a million bucks in no time.
Old 12-06-19, 08:20 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
that sounds like an ideal bike commuting situation! you reminded me I took a pic of my (non-highway) commute while driving home this week & reminded me of our chat about why 22 miles (ea. way) on my winter roads is not attractive to me

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-06-19 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-06-19, 11:20 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
rumrunn6 yes, I don't like to ride in the conditions in your picture. It's worse in our streets because the usable surface widens or narrows at every car length, and surface changes about as often. If I dart in and out among these hazards, I'm darting left and right in front of the drivers behind me. That's when I skip the ride. Usually. But not always.

bpcyclist I've seen what it's like in Seattle, which is similar, right? I think I wouldn't mind living and riding there. But compared with many places, I guess I could count myself lucky because I get to commute by bike most days of the year. Most people can't do that. That's one reason I was happy to move back to the city. I was in the suburbs of NJ.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 12-07-19, 05:52 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Maybe so, but Winter Blahs are always a common condition yet cycling can be the remedy.
[of New York City]

My motivation to ride in the winter ebbs and flows, but yesterday and today, I felt really good on the bike. For what it's worth, I'm talking about commuting, not recreation/fitness rides…..

This week, it is surprisingly empty, and it got me thinking, maybe I'm better suited to cold weather than the average person. It's 35º-40ºF, and once I have my clothes sorted out, I just don't see a problem. My feet get a little cold, so I would need to do something else to be out for longer rides, but that's pretty much the worst of it.

I'm not super tough like you Minnesotans. I have some days when I just don't think it's worth the trouble. We get a lot of slippery stuff, since our temperature hovers right around freezing for much of the winter, and this, combined with the insane traffic we have, makes cycling dangerous. That's when I say no thank you at least on some days.

But we have tons of people doing deliveries on bikes here in New York City, and we have for over a hundred years. These folks are tough. I see them out there in absolutely Iall weather.
Originally Posted by mcours2006
[of Toronto]

"The Daily Grind!"

Because of the snow fall last week it feels like I'm having to grind it out this year more so than previous years. Certainly, it could just be the recency effect, but my commute of 38-km, day in and day out, feels a lot more difficult than before.

Not physically more difficult, because it's really not hard. I don't push the pace very often, usually taking just under an hour to do the 19 km, not even breaking a sweat when I arrive. More mentally taxing for me. .

The shorter days, the dark mornings, the changing weather, and maybe the anxiety and dread of having to ride through some pretty crappy weather from last week, and the thought that this is just the beginning, perhaps is beginning to wear on me. January and February still lie ahead.

Feel free to commiserate with me.
I feel you. Winter has so many stressors: the weather, the short period of light, the scary road conditions, the scary drivers, the bad visibility.

Do you have another way to get to work? You could do what I do and ride on days when the weather isn't awful. I ride in weather that some consider bad but I don't.
Originally Posted by BobbyG
[of Colorado Springs]

…Try a new accessory. Try new clothing. Try a new route or modified route. Try a new podcast (one ear).

Try pushing your weather limits...

You just need to find the motivation.

I was off the bike for a year due to a bulging disc in my neck when I was 48. It was the most miserable year of my adult life, physically and mentally. I knew what I was missing, and for the last 9 years I fight for it every morning I can.

I pushed my cold weather limits down, I bought studded tires, and recently when the straight bars on the snow bike became too painful I converted my bike to drops...me, myself, and now every ride on that bike proves I can still perform some mechanical work myself, and still ride, and every ride on every bike proves I can overcome injuries and limitations, both physical and mental.

And if you can't find the motivation before you start your ride, you will find it somewhere on the ride or even at the end.

just go, Go, GO!
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
[of D'uh]

I too remember some years ago, likely even after joining Bike Forums in 2008, after a few seasons of of relatively enthusisastic Winter Commuting thinking how long can I keep this up (?).

I can’t remember my specific thoughts that alleviated it. Nonethless, when I first read this thread, I too thought of two themes… motivation, and inability to ride.

I have frequently replied to threads about motivation (link); and I have had two periods of prolonged absence, particularly after a serious accident in 2012.

Just this morning I happened to be reading “Men’s Health” magazine, and a reader wrote in about his lack motivation to work out. The editor had an interesting reply. He commented that the problem may not be lack of motivation, but competing motivations with a limited amount of time to satisfy them.

For example eating a deep dish pizza is more [immediately] motivating than working out. So too, might the ease of driving overcome the hassles of driving as described above, and even overwhelm the enjoyable motivations to cycle.
Originally Posted by wolfchild
[of Toronto]

I know how you feel. I experienced those same feelings few times over the years...Think about the alternative. The alternative is sitting inside a car stuck in rush hour traffic which isn't very pleasant.

At least when your ride you're getting some benefits from exercise. The grind is mostly mental.
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
[of Folsom, CA]

Think about scraping off the windshield, and how the heater in the car will start running warm just as you pull into the parking lot
For the past few couple years, other than few episodic medical problems, my riding has tapered off, not due to lack of desire…

For me, my professional responsibilities, as well as that I like my job and family, have overwhelmed my desire / ability to cycle-commute, even in the winter. (Fortunately, a drastic change in workload is about to occur within the next couple weeks.)

FWIW, According to the editor of that magazine, you just have to decide how to prioritize your motivations.
˅˅˅˅

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-07-19 at 07:21 AM. Reason: added quotes by wolfchild and Darth Lefty
Old 12-07-19, 06:17 AM
Jim from Boston

˄˄˄˄

I have previously posted about my positive (prioritizing) motivations for winter commuting:
I have the opportunity to year-round commute so that keeps me on the road in almost any weather, including a few days of single degrees F and occasionally slightly below zero.

The worse the weather, the more likely I will be asked that question at work, “You didn’t ride your bike today, did you?” Enough “no, of course not” answers and I’ll lose my reputation as The Road Warrior.

I have come to enjoy (somewhat) meeting the challenges. Dressing up in layers and adjusting the gaps in clothing on a dark early morning imparts a sense of adventure like an astronaut suiting up for lift-off. And while the solitude of space is more profound, the solitude of winter morning riding is more intense than in the summer, and I like cocooning into myself as I ride.

Cycling is my only real exercise and I do miss the additional miles for training in the nice weather that I add to my typical 14-mile commute. I have the further advantage of needing to cycle only one way and take a commuter train home, though I am seriously trying to do the round trip, but there has been too much work this week. By about 9:00 PM, the train is too inviting…

I think that standing up (or shall I say straddling the saddle) in the face of winter makes it easier to tolerate, especially for non-cycling activities, like even just going out the door.
Old 12-07-19, 06:55 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Your [@noglider’s] post took me back to 1984 (yikes!), when I was a runner going to college in the City and also had to brave those winds along the river. I just hated it! But I did it, 'cuz that's just what we did back then.

Our winters up here are very mild, by comparison to my years in NYC and Boston.

Our issue is water and lots of it. So, even though we don't have to gear up with legit cold-weather stuff often, we do have to gear up with anti-monsoon stuff allllll the time. And sometimes, you know, I just really don't feel like putting all that crap on.

But I do it, because I know from experience that once I get out there on my bike all properly garbed, I am going to be feeling like a million bucks in no time.
IMO, rain is an ultimate discouragement, more than the usual travails of Winter.
As a cycle commuter with convenient Commuter Rail alternative, I check Weather.com forecasts starting five days prior. On the day of a ride, if it looks questionable I check current Doppler to decide, and depending on the conditions if I ride in the rain I use my beater road bike.
…Just this year [2009] inspired by BF I have accepted riding in the rain.…

I used to consider it a game: if I rode and it rained, or I didn't ride and it didn't rain, I lost; if I rode with no rain or didn't ride and it rained, I won.

Now I win or lose depending if I ride with the appropriate bike: beater in the rain, road bike when dry.
For a recreational ride or extended training ride, I probably won’t go.My preference for "dry" roads extends to those I consider "damp," with no puddles and no active rain
IMO, the worst precipitation in Winter is rain at less than 40°F, and good waterproof gloves become crucial..
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I get wet and I enjoy it...I have rain gear but it's more fun to get wet if the temps are > 60*F. I save the rain gear for colder temps.

EDIT: Fenders. I would enjoy riding in the rain a lot less without fenders, especially in the spring when the roadkill from all winter might be leaking and running downstream...

I once read an amusing post where the subscriber described the water splashed off of the road as a solution of chemicals, grime, and "liquified road kill."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-07-19 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-09-19, 03:47 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
cpl miscellaneous pics from Saturday's 30 degree ride. I wish my whole commute was on a trail like this!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-10-19 at 08:25 AM.