Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is a professionally repaired carbon frame sellable?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-19, 11:15 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts

Last month, I received a crash replacement carbon frameset and moved all the components over from my damaged frame. Damage was limited to the left seat stay and dropout. To my surprise, the manufacturer did not require return of the damaged frame. I'm contemplating having it repaired, but I don't have a use for it after it is done. If I have it repaired, I will use one of the reputable professional companies to do it.

But here's the question: Once I've repaired it, if I'm not going to use it, does the frame have any value? Is it still sellable for a decent price? It was originally a $2,900 frame. I hate to just trash it, but I don't want to pay $500 for repairs only to find it's worth $500 or less after the repair. I would make full disclosure, including photos, to any buyer. What do you think? Is repair, at this point, a waste of money and effort?
Old 12-16-19, 11:22 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
I'm going to say it would be a tough sale. Maybe offer it up as is and let the new owner repair it.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 12-16-19, 11:31 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
Get it repaired, throw some lower end parts on it and throw it on your trainer as your Zwift only bike. It'll save some wear and tear on the bike you ride on the actual road and you won't notice the effects of slightly decreased quality in shifting because you're just using it on the trainer.
Likes For himespau:
Old 12-16-19, 11:34 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
...the manufacturer did not require return of the damaged frame.
There's one "no" vote.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 12-16-19, 11:37 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Last month, I received a crash replacement carbon frameset and moved all the components over from my damaged frame. Damage was limited to the left seat stay and dropout. To my surprise, the manufacturer did not require return of the damaged frame. I'm contemplating having it repaired, but I don't have a use for it after it is done. If I have it repaired, I will use one of the reputable professional companies to do it.

But here's the question: Once I've repaired it, if I'm not going to use it, does the frame have any value? Is it still sellable for a decent price? It was originally a $2,900 frame. I hate to just trash it, but I don't want to pay $500 for repairs only to find it's worth $500 or less after the repair. I would make full disclosure, including photos, to any buyer. What do you think? Is repair, at this point, a waste of money and effort?
It's been replaced for you, so I take it you're not out anything. So why try to profit from the situation? I wouldn't care to have it even if it was given to me, so I can't imagine someone would be willing to pay for it. I'd trash it and move on...
Old 12-16-19, 11:50 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I hate to just trash it, but I don't want to pay $500 for repairs only to find it's worth $500 or less after the repair.
If this sums up your main concern, I'd just sell it as-is and let the buyer figure it out. I'm sure that you could reference previous sales on ebay to get a feel for the as-is value.
Old 12-16-19, 12:17 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
In your situation : no. Trash it. Without getting into specifics it was probably part of the replacement agreement you may or may not realize you entered into with the OEM

reality: fix it. Then you have a backup. Keep it on the trainer. Have it as a backup for when you crash yours. Donate it to a local team for juniors, etc. disclose that it was repaired.

I was hoping the question would be more about whether it’s OK to sell a repaired frame. That one is an easy yes as long as you disclose the repair.

In this case whether or not you have the actual right to re-sell it I would argue that ethically you do not. The replacement frame from the company wasn’t free. When they gave it to you morally the old one is now theirs. Instead of paying to ship it back most companies rely on the local shop handling the warranty to destroy the frame. Guessing it was a smaller company or you somehow acted as your own dealer.

Old 12-16-19, 12:55 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by one4smoke
It's been replaced for you, so I take it you're not out anything. So why try to profit from the situation? I wouldn't care to have it even if it was given to me, so I can't imagine someone would be willing to pay for it. I'd trash it and move on...
That's not how "crash replacement" works. Crash replacement gets you a substantial discount from list -- but not a free replacement. In this case, I'm out about $1,800, altogether.

But why throw in the trash, and into a landfill, something that somebody can still use? You wouldn't use it, but a lot of less entitled people would. The ideas for donating the finished bike or using it on a trainer are pretty good. If it can be reused economically, it would be stupid to throw it away.

And psimet, you are correct that I was dealing with a smaller manufacturer. There is/was no replacement agreement. Just an exchange of emails with a refreshing lack of legalese.
Old 12-16-19, 01:00 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Here is my advice:

IF you get it fixed and are comfortable with the repair, ride it. Sell the NEW frame as new, or nearly new.

If you are NOT comfortable riding it on the road, use it on the trainer as suggested above.
Likes For datlas:
Old 12-16-19, 01:26 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
As to whether you can sell it, sure. For every product there is a buyer. I think it would greatly depend on your salesmanship.

The problem with carbon repairs is the integrity of the item now has a big gray cloud overhanging it. Probably the best thing you could do in this regard is repair it & use it for a year or 2 or 3. Document some miles, grab some decent inspirational pics of the bike by some epic scenery & use that to document how great it (the bike & the repair) has been. Still, my gut says a 50% discount from current market value of a nonrepaired frame...but you saved wear & tear on the good frame.

I've got a set of Zipp 404's with the worlds tiniest crack at a single spoke hole (pull through) on the rear with the tiniest delam in the spoke bed (impact) between spokes on the front. Perfectly fine for home use, but unsellable to all but the worlds lightest rider looking for a super deal. What's a 13 year old wheelset worth anyway?

I have a Vision Metron 40 with damage to the unidirectional cosmetic decorative surface ply. I work with composites by profession. The whole repair took 15 minutes with proper aerospace OEM materials & know-how. Assuming I could find a buyer they are going for $750 a set or less, NEW! So what would be the point? I'm going to lace in a new hub, put a sticker over the repair & keep the set for gravel.

Sometimes you gotta roll a hard six. Selling damaged carbon just isn't worth the trouble. IMO.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 12-16-19, 01:35 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
As a buyer I would not buy a repaired frame, for any amount. You might be able to find someone who is willing to pay for it. I wouldn't be comfortable selling a frame knowing it's been damaged either, even if it was repaired. But that's just me.

Like others have said, make it into a beater or trainer bike. Throw some flat bars on it for a nice light hybrid.
Old 12-16-19, 01:43 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
To OP- I'm in a big FB group with about 70k members, I see repaired frames for sale there all of the time, here's an example-

https://www.facebook.com/groups/onli...13904502058281

Personally I'd keep the repaired frame as a trainer bike or backup, but it definitely looks like people are willing to buy repaired frames IF the repair was done by a reputable company like Calfee, and if it's a frame with some sort of specific interest like this one (Dogma F8).
Old 12-16-19, 01:51 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
To OP- I'm in a big FB group with about 70k members, I see repaired frames for sale there all of the time, here's an example-

https://www.facebook.com/groups/onli...13904502058281

Personally I'd keep the repaired frame as a trainer bike or backup, but it definitely looks like people are willing to buy repaired frames IF the repair was done by a reputable company like Calfee, and if it's a frame with some sort of specific interest like this one (Dogma F8).
I too see a lot of repaired frames up for sale. I'm not sure how many of them sell though.

Personally, I don't have any interest in a repaired frame.
Old 12-16-19, 02:43 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

UPDATE: In my case, it appears it may not matter. Since the thru axle dropout is damaged, the frame may not be repairable. I'll keep the fork as a spare and likely landfill the frame.
Old 12-16-19, 02:48 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
UPDATE: In my case, it appears it may not matter. Since the thru axle dropout is damaged, the frame may not be repairable. I'll keep the fork as a spare and likely landfill the frame.
If not repairable, and if you are going to trash it, post it on a forum or facebook group and charge only shipping. Someone may want it for an art project. Better to see it re-purposed than land filled.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 12-16-19, 03:05 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
There are some hotels and cafes with art made from former bikes up on the wall.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-17-19, 07:23 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
In after the OP update. Otherwise, +1 to this suggestion. As is would be full disclosure. The buyer could decide what to do with it and how much to invest.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
If this sums up your main concern, I'd just sell it as-is and let the buyer figure it out. I'm sure that you could reference previous sales on ebay to get a feel for the as-is value.
Old 12-17-19, 08:13 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
It's done all the time. Check out Cyclocarbon on Facebook. He routinely repairs all kinds of frames and sells them, often times for big money. I would check to see if he could repair your dropout before you trash the frame.
Old 12-17-19, 08:29 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Not selling one to me.
Old 12-17-19, 09:44 AM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Sell it on this site with conditions that rider must be under 100-lbs and wear a motorcycle helmet on rides.
Old 12-17-19, 09:51 AM
mtbronbo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I had an Intense carbide chain stay repaired by Ca. company that included a 10 year warranty and rode it hard for 3 years without problem. Sold it and that rider still rides it. So it can be repaired but sale price attained will reflect apprehension on buyers part. But you should have a warranty to compensate these fears from buyer. I can't remember the company name but they do advertise in bike magazines.
Old 12-17-19, 11:16 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
Originally Posted by mtbronbo
I had an Intense carbide chain stay repaired by Ca. company that included a 10 year warranty and rode it hard for 3 years without problem. Sold it and that rider still rides it. So it can be repaired but sale price attained will reflect apprehension on buyers part. But you should have a warranty to compensate these fears from buyer. I can't remember the company name but they do advertise in bike magazines.
Calfee
https://calfeedesign.com/carbon-repair/
Old 12-17-19, 12:45 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Big discount and list as "parts only not working". Then let the buyer decide if they want to use it on the road.

I've got two I've done myself and would never hand them over with any understanding the person can ride it. I just don't want any liability.

Sure, it's rideable and fine. It's just a CYA kind of thing.
Old 12-17-19, 12:49 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
A guy I used to ride Mass with ran a CF frame repair business. He would purchase frames from all over with everything from minimal damage up to what I would consider toast. He would repair the bikes, commonly without painting them initially, would ride events with them all the while talking about it being repaired, then sell generally with a custom paint as requested by the customer.
Old 12-17-19, 03:05 PM
Mayday328

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Email some photos of the damage to the guys at Broken Carbon. I've have had a couple of bikes repaired by them and have sold them after the repair was done. They'll let you know if it can be repaired and for how much. Worth a shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.