Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 01-01-20, 05:17 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Well a new year and new decade coming yet same old me. But wait, actually my plans for the coming fitness year have changed some. Initially I was gonna concentrate on winning a trophy in the grand masters category of our local triathlon in July. However, I've decided instead to get into Fight Fit shape. And I'll let the cards play out as they may in our local triathlon. For me fight shape means being able to go three 5 minute rounds grappling, three 5 minute rounds boxing, and three 5 minute rounds kickboxing consecutively. Basically just getting back in shape for wherever the fight goes. I basically just teach more of that than apply it and I want to apply it more. It's just what's more important to me personally right now. Not only is it my livelihood but it's my passion.
I'll still continue running/roadwork and biking. But my cycling will be at a higher intensity. Making each ride count, do less junk miles. Honestly I enjoy the work. Tempo ride, endurance ride , and interval/speed work will be all I'm doing. I think my interval work will be with group rides. I seem to do intervals with group rides whether I want to or not.
What are your plans Ironkids?
Happy New Year....and don't forget to grease your seatpost.
Martial arts training is the best all around fitness program I've found. Especially the mixed martial arts approach, which covers the entire body more than just boxing. When I first heard of high intensity interval training and Crossfit I thought, "Oh... I've been doing that for years in the boxing gym." Three minutes full gas on every station, one minute rest. It's pretty darned intense.

In cycling I've modified my training approach. For a couple of years I focused on spinning, mostly out of concern for my knees. I've avoided the knee injuries and joint deterioration that plagued most of my family. My few knee injuries healed quickly without surgery.

But I finally realized I was plateaued in conditioning. Even doing HIIT on the trainer with cadence up to 160 rpm I wasn't improving. I'd hit my aerobic capacity, which is never gonna improve (too many bouts with respiratory illnesses as a kid).

So in late summer 2019 I switched to more low cadence drills, mashing the biggest gears I could push. I started carefully to ensure I maintained good ergonomic form. I gradually worked up to standing to pedal for longer distances. At first I struggled to stand and pedal for longer than 15 seconds at a time. By now on good days I can stand to pedal at a moderate effort for up to a half-mile 2% grade (plenty of those in my immediate neighborhood). By early December I was doing entire 90 minute, 25 mile rides averaging 60 rpm and mashing bigger gears.

That finally got me past that plateau. I've gone from averaging 15-16 mph overall on longer rides to 17-18 mph. Mashing bigger gears at lower cadence keeps my heart rate well below threshold. I'm recovering quicker between hard efforts, not getting gassed out and gasping for breath, and on good days keeping up with younger riders.

And now I know why Merckx and old school cyclists did the rock 'n' roll, with plenty of body English and torso movement to keep up that momentum, especially on climbs. It's almost impossible to mash big gears at slower cadence and not rock around a bit, especially if you weigh less than around 175 lbs.
Old 01-01-20, 06:26 PM
VintageTTfan

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Goals? We're supposed to have cycling goals? That might take the fun out of it for me.
You might have a point there seypat.....I like your spirit........
Old 01-02-20, 08:19 PM
norcalmike

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
Any love for the 84 turbo I picked up tonight for a cool 100?
It's really clean and in original condition sans tires and seat.
just the ad pic now. It's in my trunk at work.
Likes For norcalmike:
Old 01-02-20, 08:26 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Looks great and I'll bet it rides the same. I'd have jumped on that deal too!
Old 01-02-20, 09:28 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by norcalmike
Sweet! Extra sweetness for only having to part with a single Benjamin. I am shocked just like Benjamin was.
Old 01-02-20, 10:18 PM
norcalmike

Originally Posted by seypat
Sweet! Extra sweetness for only having to part with a single Benjamin. I am shocked just like Benjamin was.
I spend an unnatural amount of time searching for 100 dollar classics. Honest ones too. I avoid the sketchy ones. He was a real nice guy with unfortunate medical issues. He couldn't ride it anymore. I promised it would be preserved and cared for just like he did.
Old 01-02-20, 10:44 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I spend an unnatural amount of time searching for 100 dollar classics. Honest ones too. I avoid the sketchy ones. He was a real nice guy with unfortunate medical issues. He couldn't ride it anymore. I promised it would be preserved and cared for just like he did.
Nice score. I luv my '84 Turbo even though the paint is a bit beat up. Mine is a 24" with a 57cm CTC top tube. Yours looks like a 22" measured in the Centurion fashion CTT. When you get a chance, I'd like to know your top tube measure. Got to love that bronze treatment on the components and I wonder why they didn't use bronze colored Arayas.
Old 01-02-20, 10:58 PM
norcalmike

Originally Posted by Classtime
Nice score. I luv my '84 Turbo even though the paint is a bit beat up. Mine is a 24" with a 57cm CTC top tube. Yours looks like a 22" measured in the Centurion fashion CTT. When you get a chance, I'd like to know your top tube measure. Got to love that bronze treatment on the components and I wonder why they didn't use bronze colored Arayas.
When I get home in the morning I will take measurements and better pics. this one has some scuffs and scratches here and there. the levers have some good rash.
Its definitely a bit small for me as I prefer 23s or 58s but maybe wider bars and longer stem will make it work.
I really love the anodized hubs
Old 01-02-20, 11:08 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
When I get home in the morning I will take measurements and better pics. this one has some scuffs and scratches here and there. the levers have some good rash.
Its definitely a bit small for me as I prefer 23s or 58s but maybe wider bars and longer stem will make it work.
I really love the anodized hubs
I wish you were close to N.Texas I might work a trade with you for a 58cm Cannondale R400 that is a little too big for me but is a really nice bike. I have been riding 54 & 56 cm Ironman bikes but am going to give this bigger bike a try.
Old 01-02-20, 11:32 PM
norcalmike

Originally Posted by TXsailor
I wish you were close to N.Texas I might work a trade with you for a 58cm Cannondale R400 that is a little too big for me but is a really nice bike. I have been riding 54 & 56 cm Ironman bikes but am going to give this bigger bike a try.
I have a couple of bigger bikes. I love the long reach. It feels good. I just had to get over the higher stand over.
Old 01-03-20, 06:58 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Sweet frames, they are.
Same color as mine.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 01-03-20, 07:27 PM
norcalmike

Pulled a spare Rolls off the shelf and made a height adjustment.
there are some loose spokes and wheels are out of true. As soon as I find my spoke wrench I'll remedy that.
I don't want to test ride until then.

I wish it was a 23 but it's so cool I'm gonna tough it out.
Old 01-04-20, 09:22 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Pulled a spare Rolls off the shelf and made a height adjustment.
there are some loose spokes and wheels are out of true. As soon as I find my spoke wrench I'll remedy that.
I don't want to test ride until then.

I wish it was a 23 but it's so cool I'm gonna tough it out.
Very nice. It looks like a 58 to me, at least the way Centurion measures it (CtT). So have you measured it yet?
Old 01-04-20, 09:34 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
I'm seeing several Centurion Elite RS and Cavaletto bikes show up in my local listings for what I would consider a decent price (~$150). Where do those fall in the Centurion hierarchy?

Not that I need another bike, but there are empty spots in the rack...and I haven't come across a Bridgestone or Panasonic for my husband. He doesn't know I'm getting a road bike for him.

Last edited by TriBiker19; 01-04-20 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-04-20, 09:48 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19
I'm seeing several Centurion Elite RS bikes show up in my local listings for what I would consider a decent price (~$150). Where do those fall in the Centurion hierarchy?

Not that I need another bike, but there are empty spots in the rack...and I haven't come across a Bridgestone or Panasonic for my husband. He doesn't know I'm getting a road bike for him.
I am no expert but according to the 86 catalog The Elite RS comes after the IM with Tange 2 tubing and Shimano 600 components. If you are considering Japanese Steel for the Hubs then Miyata, Nishiki and Specialized also made some great steel bikes BITD as well.
Old 01-04-20, 09:58 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Originally Posted by ryansu
I am no expert but according to the 86 catalog The Elite RS comes after the IM with Tange 2 tubing and Shimano 600 components. If you are considering Japanese Steel for the Hubs then Miyata, Nishiki and Specialized also made some great steel bikes BITD as well.
This is the one that I'm looking at. I hate that there are no closer pictures, though.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...048892256.html
Old 01-04-20, 10:05 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Here is the EliteRS/Super page from Vintage Centurion:
Centurion Elite RS/Super

Seem like pretty decent bikes. I'd be glad to give one a go.

The Cavaletto was lower end.
Old 01-04-20, 10:43 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2357 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
This is the one that I'm looking at. I hate that there are no closer pictures, though.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...048892256.html
Rocket-Sauce posted this on the "eBay/CL Finds" thread. Maybe someone down there can look it over for you, before you commit to a road trip.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 01-04-20, 11:43 AM
norcalmike

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Very nice. It looks like a 58 to me, at least the way Centurion measures it (CtT). So have you measured it yet?
22 inches CTT
Old 01-04-20, 01:27 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Originally Posted by BFisher
Here is the EliteRS/Super page from Vintage Centurion:
Centurion Elite RS/Super

Seem like pretty decent bikes. I'd be glad to give one a go.

The Cavaletto was lower end.
When I went back and looked at the pictures of the Cavaletto, I noticed the stem shifters and realized it was a silly question. oops.
Old 01-12-20, 07:31 PM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Picked up this Ironman yesterday for $30. I'm not usually one to haggle, he was initially asking for $50 but the more I looked the more issues I noticed. It's my first Centurion. It seems to be all-original, and has a full Shimano 600 6-speed group save for a pair of Dia-Compe brake levers. There are no dents or cracks but the paint is really not in great shape, and the seatpost was stuck (I was able to get it going with some moderate effort without damaging the post). The 600 pedals must have been neat at some point but these look like they are too far gone. I am loving the Araya gold rims but there are some rusted spoke nipples that will need to be addressed. The hubs and bottom bracket are in decent enough shape; I've seen a lot worse with other projects. The (I'm guessing) original chain passed both sides of the Park Tool chain checker test, so the freewheel and crankset are probably good to go; they certainly present well. The Turbo saddle is a little scruffy but again, not the worst I've seen.

My gut is telling me it needs a strip and repaint, but I kinda just want to get it sorted and ride it for a bit before making that decision. If I did I probably wouldn't recreate the original paint/decal setup, which would make me feel weird, given the Ironman's iconic color schemes. I have no problem with a little patina, though, and I'll probably do some touch up and maybe a spray of clearcoat to get it back on the road. It's a 56, I think. From what I've read about Ironman sizing, they sold them in even increments, and this one measures 55.8 cm from center to top-of-seatpost.

It's currently stripped down to the frame, which was sprayed on the inside with WD-40 and coated on the outside in a Barkeeper's Friend paste to get going on those rust spots. I'm looking forward to a winter project, and I'm looking forward to riding it--I read all the Ironman posts around here with interest. They seem very highly regarded. I haven't really been out looking for an Ironman, but I was happy to have this rough-around-the-edges example fall in my lap.

Centurion Ironman by Eat More Plants1, on Flickr

Last edited by PugRider; 01-12-20 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Grammar
Likes For PugRider:
Old 01-12-20, 08:26 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Originally Posted by PugRider
Picked up this Ironman yesterday for $30. I'm not usually one to haggle, he was initially asking for $50 but the more I looked the more issues I noticed. It's my first Centurion.

Welcome to the group! I'm just north of you in the Gardner area.

I'm jealous, if your bike had been a little smaller, I'd be asking you if you'd be willing to part with it for a multiple of the price you paid. I love my Centurions! The folks here are fabulous. Truly.

I think that's an '86?
Old 01-12-20, 08:49 PM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Welcome to the group! I'm just north of you in the Gardner area.

I'm jealous, if your bike had been a little smaller, I'd be asking you if you'd be willing to part with it for a multiple of the price you paid. I love my Centurions! The folks here are fabulous. Truly.

I think that's an '86?
Yeah I haven’t gone too deep down the Ironman rabbit hole yet, but that sounds close.
being a 6 speed I figured 85. Can’t wait to ride it!
Old 01-12-20, 08:57 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Yep, it's an 86. 85's were friction shifting 600. Has the much prettier fork crown, too.

The DC levers were OEM, guess the Shimano levers were either unavailable or too 'spensive to include. BTW, I have excellent examples of both the 6208 (non aero) and 6209 (aero, in same bronze finish) levers, either of which could have been spec'd with that 6208 group if Centurion had been willing to pony up. Excellent hoods on 'em, too.

If you like those pedals, I can send you a nice pair, prolly with toe clips and straps. Might be 105's instead of 600's but they look and work the same.
Old 01-12-20, 11:01 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2357 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
+1 on the '86, good catch on TriBiker19's part. The specs match my '86, right down to the Aero Gran Compe brake levers. I think it was mentioned somewhere way up-thread that the Shimano 600 aero levers weren't quite ready for the '86 model year rollout.

Also, I think it's a 54cm. Mine's a 56, and it has a finger-width or so more head tube. RobbieTunes has one or two (or ten or...) 54s, so he might have a better sense visually.

Tough call on the finish. Yeah, it's one of the rougher ones seen here. OTOH, those graphics may not be much fun to match.

And yes, without poring over the >8000 posts in this thread, I'd be willing to bet a nickel you win the award for the best effing deal on one of these yet.

Last edited by madpogue; 01-12-20 at 11:06 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.