Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike assembly aesthetics

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike assembly aesthetics

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-20, 06:10 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Thanks for all the input, friends. Although the bike I'm referring to in my OP is from the 1980s (maybe even late 1970s), my intent isn't to restore it to it's exact (or even close necessarily) original look. Just a good, usable bike. And, it's a bike that most aficionados probably would not even consider owning. It's a TUNTURI. I actually rescued the bike from someone's trash heap (probably where you're thinking it should have stayed), cleaned and tune it up, and have ridden it lots and lots of miles for more than 30 years. I love the bike. Over the decades all of the components have been replaced...it's sort of a "Frankenbike"...but never the paint. But now it's time for that, and I plan on having it powder coated to the original white, and have already obtained replica green decals for it. Current (non-matching) components are fine...but I may replace them to all match. As indicated by many of you...much of the aesthetics are a personal choice. I concur. As I said, it's not going to be anywhere close to the original. But I just want to make sure I'm not breaking some of the major guidelines.

Dan
Rustoleum works well. Save some money. Get a 1/2 pt of Rustoleum white and a 1/2 inch artist brush. A couple coats and it'll look like new.
Old 01-19-20, 01:04 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Thanks for all the input, friends. Although the bike I'm referring to in my OP is from the 1980s (maybe even late 1970s), my intent isn't to restore it to it's exact (or even close necessarily) original look. Just a good, usable bike. And, it's a bike that most aficionados probably would not even consider owning. It's a TUNTURI. I actually rescued the bike from someone's trash heap (probably where you're thinking it should have stayed), cleaned and tune it up, and have ridden it lots and lots of miles for more than 30 years. I love the bike. Over the decades all of the components have been replaced...it's sort of a "Frankenbike"...but never the paint. But now it's time for that, and I plan on having it powder coated to the original white, and have already obtained replica green decals for it. Current (non-matching) components are fine...but I may replace them to all match. As indicated by many of you...much of the aesthetics are a personal choice. I concur. As I said, it's not going to be anywhere close to the original. But I just want to make sure I'm not breaking some of the major guidelines.

Dan
Worried about fashion rules 30 years after scrounging it from a trash heap.
Only on BF.
Bravo
Old 01-19-20, 10:11 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Art has no rules.

If you are simply striving to make something look historically accurate, that’s a different story.

In your case, whatever you decide is going to be the correct choice.

Last edited by Kapusta; 01-19-20 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-19-20, 11:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
I want a bike that looks good to my eyes but is also functional. My favorite component colors are always going to be Hard Ano Grey/Shimano Grey and 3DV those are just classic colors that look great. However it depends on what the build calls for some bikes I try to go silver all the way and some bikes black all the way and some are a mix of stuff to make it look great.

My Salsa Timberjack TI is going to have a bunch of red anodized components in part because a lot of Spank stuff was on closeout at the distributor and red was easy to get in most of what I needed. The problem with some anodizing is it can be off from different brands and manufacturers so in my case what I thought was more of a navy blue on the website turned into a bit more teal so it didn't quite match the bike but now I am at peace with it and it actually looks nice.