Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Giving up riding on the road

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-24-19, 03:49 PM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Two factors for me, control and numbers. When young I enjoyed a number of activities considered dangerous but they were safe if one kept his head and had the requisite skill. One had control of the risk. Not safe if insufficient skill or a skittish disposition. We have no control whatsoever over the skill, sobriety, prudence or criminality of the drivers around us.

That is where numbers come in. I had no control over drivers in prior years either, but the numbers of cars, their size, their speed and the percentage of drivers distracted by technology were vastly smaller so I figured the odds were acceptable. No longer acceptable on my local roads.
Old 12-24-19, 10:55 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I do not ride on the roads.

I ride literally thousands of miles a year. I use my bike for everything, Inc commuting, shopping, school run.. it has a trailer. It's a tandem. It's electric. And it's the best-kept secret I've held.

But so is my town. Milton Keynes was designed and built from scratch with a complete bonafide MUP system called the 'Redway'. I can ride from any place to any place, and never use a road (other than tiny residential avenues and car parks for access).

Unfortunately this is a rare set up. The option to go road-free isn't so easy elsewhere. But you must push for it, and use your numbers to create the demand for more footpaths to be converted, and new developments to include the segregation of road and cycling. If you want it.

And I can tell you, for all ages, it's well worth having.

Last edited by MikeyMK; 12-24-19 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-25-19, 06:03 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Looks like you have other options so that is great. I've not completely given up road riding, but if need to go somewhere I put together more MUPs than road, even if longer. I also pick my road riding times to be less traffic times. Lastly, I now ride in the right tire track, as opposed to hugging the right stripe. It took some getting used to, but it does work.
Old 12-25-19, 07:02 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
So if you’re charged with something you should not be able to prove your innocence?
I'm for this but "convicted" would be my preference.
Old 12-25-19, 07:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,473 Times in 7,312 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK

Yet limiting to those of us who like to explore other places by bicycle. I like to get out of the fishbowl.
Old 12-25-19, 07:50 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I have decided to now limit the TT bike to limited areas. Twice yesterday I’m going 25+ and a vehicle thinks I’m on a granny Dutch going 5mph and left turns or goes straight across me.

The brakes and upright visibility of the roadie is just superior in my area.
Old 12-25-19, 08:15 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I do not ride on the roads.

I ride literally thousands of miles a year. I use my bike for everything, Inc commuting, shopping, school run.. it has a trailer. It's a tandem. It's electric. And it's the best-kept secret I've held.

But so is my town. Milton Keynes was designed and built from scratch with a complete bonafide MUP system called the 'Redway'. I can ride from any place to any place, and never use a road (other than tiny residential avenues and car parks for access).

Unfortunately this is a rare set up. The option to go road-free isn't so easy elsewhere. But you must push for it, and use your numbers to create the demand for more footpaths to be converted, and new developments to include the segregation of road and cycling. If you want it.

Yet limiting to those of us who like to explore other places by bicycle. I like to get out of the fishbowl.
Milton Keynes sounds like a mecca for truly Car Free Living. Not so much for Road Cycling if that is you inclination. Here in the First World, I have described Boston as a good compromise between those premises.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Boston is probably one of the most Car-free cities in the world, and having a car is often detrimental. We live near the transportation hub of Kenmore Square. Our easily accessible Car-free / Car-light modalities at home and work are:
  • subway and Commuter Rail
  • taxis and Uber
  • car rentals, including Zipcar
  • shopping and personal services within walking distances
  • a convenient place to stay overnight at work
  • my cycle commutes are on pleasant routes in the reverse of the usual commuting direction.
Personally. I'm very happy cycling in Metro Boston, and have posted an informal Cycling Guide to Metro Boston (link) that would make a nice hub and spoke tour of nine days

It may seem parochial, but I think the cycling around here is great. One can be in scenic countryside within about one hour from downtown, while passing through an interesting, compact urban and suburban scene. Furthermore you can extend your range with a convenient Commuter Rail that allows fully-assembled bikes during off-peak hours. In Spring through Fall it’s a temperate climate

Besides the cycling, Boston is such a popular tourist [and residential] destination that there will always be something interesting to do off the bike…culture, nightlife, sports and so forth.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-25-19 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-25-19, 09:08 AM
studbike1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Going 16mph on a wide road feels slower than going 13mph on a narrow one. Get wide tires, raise your bars, find a decent saddle, and enjoy the ride.

I had this same reckoning myself when I was a teenager and saw a bad crash on a group ride. I realized a few things: road biking is much more dangerous than mountain biking, it's often boring, you never fully relax because of the cars. I don't have anywhere near me that is an alternative to roads, so I took up mountain biking.
Old 12-25-19, 10:26 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
In America's class war (yes, I used the dirty "C" word we're taught doesn't exist), Cars and Cash rule over Bikes and Bravery....

Still, I am someone... just like the owner of the pretentious pos suv, luxury car, or "all-american" pick up truck, and pay my taxes just the same. Today my choice is to drive the roads I pay for on a human-propelled vehicle, non-polluting, and almost exclusively below the safe speed LIMITS! WITHIN THE LAW.

And, yet, I/we are stigmatized for not serving the overt, aggressive, oil-consuming, polluting, convienence buying, insurance enabling paradigm paraded as "success"....

I observe limits on my behavior, to the benefits of myself and 99% of others.... I would argue that it is 100% of others, but the 1% (and their witting/unwitting minions) see it otherwise....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 12-25-19, 10:55 AM
wilsoncb

Bikes: Lemond (road), Surley LHT, Bambo (hand made)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Milton Keynes, England, I presume. Sounds pretty cool. I know there are some cities in the US that are more bike friendly, but cars are still king here. I think it’s time we take our roads back. Let’s start by taking down the king of corruption. It’s time to give our planet priority over corporate greed.
Old 12-25-19, 05:33 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
England's particularly bad for this. There are 1/3 of a million people here in my town, i have all i need, but if i do wanna venture beyond the boarder i'm not doing it on a bike - the roads available offer me nothing but a choice of how quickly i want to die.

Milton Keynes sounds like a mecca for truly Car Free Living. Not so much for Road Cycling if that is you inclination.
This is true. I have balloon tyres and air suspension, yet it can still be a challenging ride. You can't see tarmac for wet leaves atm, floods, and the tree-root damage makes moon craters look small.
1'' tyres would be at risk of pinch flats every third road crossing, you're not getting a quarter mile without some serious cornering, and don't get me started on manhole covers, school kids, dogs...

It's an absolute halcyon. I love it - when there are no cars, 'roading' becomes an irrelevant genre.
Old 12-25-19, 07:47 PM
daleb116

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is a personal call. I moved from an area where most of my riding was on rural county roads to an urban area with many miles of trails. I prefer the trails. They also have dangers but the heavier traffic worries me. I may hit the roads again in organized rides. Biking is something I might give up if I overthink it. I try to take a rational view of the risks and hope I can continue to ride for many years. Good luck to us all.
Old 12-25-19, 08:37 PM
indyfabz

I cannot imagine giving up riding roads. Too many cool ones out there. Going to the Sun comes immediately to mind.
Old 12-25-19, 08:56 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
Nope.
Old 12-26-19, 06:07 AM
indyfabz

England's particularly bad for this. There are 1/3 of a million people here in my town, i have all i need, but if i do wanna venture beyond the boarder i'm not doing it on a bike - the roads available offer me nothing but a choice of how quickly i want to die.
I live with 1.5 million other people. You make it sound like cyclists are dying in droves. Thousands upon thousands every day. As if it's a certainty. Sad mindset if you ask me.

And there are other countries.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-26-19, 10:19 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts

How safe is flying?

"...

There are a range of estimates out there, but based on its analysis of US Census data, it puts the odds of dying as a plane passenger at 1 in 205,552. That compares with odds of 1 in 4,050 for dying as a cyclist; 1 in 1,086 for drowning, and 1 in 102 for a car crash."

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/how-safe...statistics-say
Old 12-26-19, 10:38 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I cannot imagine giving up riding roads. Too many cool ones out there. Going to the Sun comes immediately to mind.
I agree....The only way to get anywhere on a bicycle is to use roads...The alternative is to live in a safety bubble....Anything that's worthwhile doing is going to involve some degree of risk.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-27-19, 08:28 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Thanks for the informed and reasonable discussion here.

I've had some time to read what people have posted here, talk about things with friends and family and think things through over the holidays. I'm, if anything, more certain I want to significantly scale back or stop riding in the road next year.

Just to clarify a few things:

I ride entirely for fitness, I don't ride for transportation. I ride only with groups on the road, I gave up riding alone on the road years ago. I'm an ex-racer myself. The groups I ride in are typically the "A" groups of local clubs: ex or current road racers, a few masters guys, a few cat 3s, a few mountain or cross racers getting in some road miles, a few ultra-distance guys. I have been cutting back significantly on road in recent years regardless, especially as I've returned to more singletrack mountain biking.

I live in the suburbs of a very large midwestern city, you guess which one (I think many people I know personally post here, they know who I am, lol). Around here, there's a ton of traffic, no shoulders and limited options for good roads to ride on around here. Any riding usually needs to be done in the dark in the very early morning hours or on weekends. I grew up in a much more rural area. I can appreciate that if I still lived in a rural area with better roads, I would not be having these thoughts. My wife and I are planning to move to a different area of the country in the next few years, we're considering several possibilities. Cycling will play a role in that decision.

One last point: my wife has never directly told me that she wants me to stop, she knows I love cycling and she's far too kind to lay down the law like that. It's more subtle indications she's given me.

Thanks again for sharing your own opinions and experiences here.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 12-27-19, 08:33 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
And motor vehicles are not the only hazardous traffic on roads.

Those are some big doggies. I wonder what their sprint speed is and how hard it is to outrun them?
Old 12-27-19, 08:45 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by FiftySix
Those are some big doggies. I wonder what their sprint speed is and how hard it is to outrun them?
I was riding towards them. Wasn't going to take any chances. Pulled over to the other side of the road. The cowboy was really cool. He asked me about my route. I told him, then he doffed his hat and said "Sounds like a plan."

That was just outside the "center" of Wise River, MT. The place is known to have large cattle drives from time to time. There must have been one relatively recently because there were a lot of cow pie remnants in the road closer to town that looked they had been mostly washed away by rain.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-27-19, 10:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Source of this graph, please. Curious how the data was gathered for total kilometers traveled on roads by bicyclists in each country.
It appears to originate from this, and the article is totally uninformative as to where the miles ridden numbers came from:

https://streets.mn/2014/07/01/bicycling-relative-safe/
Old 12-27-19, 11:16 AM
spinconn

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
I tend to think these stats which are based on mileage are less meaningful than if they were based on time. It seems to me the more hours you are exposed to risk gives a greater assessment than the number of miles. I tried to google bike fatalities based on hours as compared to other forms of travel and didn't get much information, so I don't know, but I have a hunch that a per hour comparison might turn out more favorable for bikes.
Old 12-27-19, 12:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by spinconn
I tend to think these stats which are based on mileage are less meaningful than if they were based on time. It seems to me the more hours you are exposed to risk gives a greater assessment than the number of miles. I tried to google bike fatalities based on hours as compared to other forms of travel and didn't get much information, so I don't know, but I have a hunch that a per hour comparison might turn out more favorable for bikes.
I suspect that one of the effects of having relatively poorly-developed cycling infrastructure is that it's much harder to get an accurate count of miles traveled, so some of this discrepancy with other countries may in part be a statistical artifact of the fact that it's harder to count riders if you don't know where they're riding.
Old 12-27-19, 02:10 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
There are more cars and even if the proportion of jerks driving them is stable, there are more of them , and then add in the cocooning and distractions.

I am an urban rider and have to avoid a car running a stop sign or going the wrong way, or rolling into an intersection or bike path at least ONCE A MILE.

The MUP's here are a hazard from the distracted, and from dog walkers where the fleas are the smartest member of the team. I love dogs, they also need protection.

I ride like I'm James Bond. Everybody in the movie is trying to kill me. My job is to make it hard for them.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 12-29-19 at 12:24 AM.
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 12-27-19, 02:19 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by spinconn
That makes a little more sense but it still doesn't differentiate between the roads that are heavily travelled with cars and quiet streets or bike trails that many forum members here recommend.

One can stand at a bike trail all day and all night and nothing traffic related will happen to him. But doing the same thing on a busy street, eventually some car is going to jump the curb and hit you. And that's not uncommon.

I still contend that it's the number of cars you encounter during a ride that determines its safety.

If I make a blanket statement that bike trails and quiet streets with no cars are safer than riding on busy urban arterial roads, I suppose a lot of people would agree. But I won't be at all surprised if 50% of people will still disagree.

Last edited by Daniel4; 12-27-19 at 02:32 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.