Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Affordable rain gear recommendations for a newb...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-20, 06:15 PM
Scott6283

Bikes: Early 90’s specialized Hardrock , ska fenders, Tunis rear rack, sublime front rack, trekking bars

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi everyone, I am new to the forums. I am currently a fair weather commuter but would like to commute more often even if it is raining a bit.(I live in the PNW) My question is what would you all recommend as far as relatively affordable rain gear? I’ve seen ponchos that cover the rider and the bike and I have seen lightweight rain suits that can go over clothing with a helmet cover but I’m not sure which way to go or really what to look for in rain gear for cycling. Any help would be great!
Old 01-06-20, 11:27 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott6283
Hi everyone, I am new to the forums. I am currently a fair weather commuter but would like to commute more often even if it is raining a bit.(I live in the PNW) My question is what would you all recommend as far as relatively affordable rain gear? I’ve seen ponchos that cover the rider and the bike and I have seen lightweight rain suits that can go over clothing with a helmet cover but I’m not sure which way to go or really what to look for in rain gear for cycling. Any help would be great!
Experiment with the cheapest first? If it works, stick with it; if not, try something else. Sorry, my rain gear is a bus pass.

You'll probably get 37 responses with 43 opinions. Hopefully some are useful.
Old 01-07-20, 12:57 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Welcome to the forums.
Old 01-07-20, 01:50 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
The ponchos or capes or whatever you want to call them can be good and also can be pretty affordable, so maybe try one out and see. Not my cup of tea, personally, but some pepople really like them.

I got a solicitatioon fo ra complete rain "suit" from amazon today for maybe 39 bucks or something w/ free shipping. No idea of that company, but there is a lot of inexpensive rain gear on amazon. Pricing is ll over the map for this stuff. I saw a rain jacekt from a well-known company that looked nice the other day. It was abou t $450. I'm sure it's really nice. I hope it is. I won't be buyin git.

Most people who live in places like Eugene or Portland or Seattle who love it, and most seem to, do so because they do not allow the rain to keep them from doing what they want to do. Rain-avoidance isn't really a thing. It's more of an Embrace The Rain And Go Ride 60 MIles All Geared Up type deal. For a lot of people, anyway. That said, with the weather being so dry this year, I still have not had to ride in the rain much this year. So, for now, it sorta can be avoided. A bit.

So, I say, try out a couple affordable options and see what you like. Or, just go for the home run now and buy a bunch of Showers Pass. I have some waterproof socks from them that were 37 dollars (!), but you know what, they were well worth it--they're waterproof!
Old 01-07-20, 02:06 AM
Scott6283

Bikes: Early 90’s specialized Hardrock , ska fenders, Tunis rear rack, sublime front rack, trekking bars

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the input. I was looking at some of the inexpensive rain suits on amazon so I may go that way to start with. I have looked at the showers pass stuff and while it is nice the price isn’t lol
Old 01-07-20, 08:42 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
Ex Police coat

Originally Posted by Scott6283
Thanks for the input. I was looking at some of the inexpensive rain suits on amazon so I may go that way to start with. I have looked at the showers pass stuff and while it is nice the price isn’t lol
A foul weather Gortex coat (not the jacket) will cost you about 700 USD retail. Buy a hi viz debadged ex Police one for a tenth of that. There are plenty on eBay sold by the official government disposal department. It will last decades. Not aero but you arrive at work bone dry.
Likes For Johno59:
Old 01-07-20, 08:47 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
an inexpensive rain suit might work fine, but I'd rather try the item(s) on. we have a local Outdoor Store that carries these, in varying levels of quality & price. something to look at, is leg length, cuz you want them long enough to cover your ankles. arm length too, due to body position on the bike. some have cheap elastic cuffs for wrists & ankles, some are better & more comfortable & some are just open & you can use an ankle band. shoes or shoe covers & gloves will be something to look at too. for an inexpensive helmet cover you can use a cheap motel style shower cap, but if you haven't collected any from recent motel stays, maybe you can find something similar online? once you get to work you'll need a place to hang that stuff to dry. I used t work at a place that had a boiler room, so it was warm & dry & the business owner didn't mind me draping my stuff all over for the day cuz the door was mostly closed

I have these shoe covers but haven't used them much. they have a good bottom platform/sole & they're easy to get on. the zipper is a good feature. they are thin & not expensive. I got the biggest they sell & they fit on size 13 shoes, but not hiking boots

FixWhat Waterproof Motorcycle Bike Shoes Covers,Reusable Anti-Slip Rain Snow Shoes Overshoes Gear Zipped Shoes Men Women Rain Covers

these shower caps look close to like what I've used, but you don't need so many or to dispose of them, cuz w/o abuse they are quite durable

Disposable Hair Plastic Shower Cap - (Pack of 100) Clear Women Shower caps Waterproof Bath Hat Processing Hair Cover for Treatment Spa Hair Salon and Home Use

I think barmitts are the best way to keep hands dry. they make them for straight bars & drop bars

Docooler Handlebar Mitts Pogies Mittens for Cold Weather Riding MTB Fat Bike Motor Bar Covers Winter Thermal Cover Bike Hand Warmer with Thick Neoprene: 6mm - Features: Warm, Rainproof, Windproof

back to ankle bands for a second. I've got tall boots, not for riding. when the snow gets deep, the snow pushes the legs up. so I tied string around the base to keep my rain/snow pant legs down over the boot. turns out they are reusable! been on these boots since January 2015!

winter (2014-15) was tough for filling the bird feeder!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-15-20 at 12:36 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-07-20, 10:24 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Those ponchos are nice. I haven't had one in a long time. I hear they can be bad if you have a strong crosswind, but I don't have enough experience to say.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-14-20, 10:56 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I also ride in PNW. Rain or shine. My go to rain jacket and rain pants are from J&G in Eugene, OR. Both are around 10 years old. Recommended. At that time each piece was $45. No idea what they are now. 30 years ago and a lot more disposable income and I spent the $$$ for Gore-tex but unless you are ice fishing you will be better off just cheaping out on coated nylon. You are going to get just as wet either way. In rain, especially in PNW, trying to stay bone dry is an exercise in futility. I try to stay warm. If I'm warm I can deal with some wet. J&G sell a helmet cover but I use a showercap. Pastel blue and pink in a two for $3.99 and I don't feel bad poking a hole in it for my helmet mirror. Rain chaps (Rainlegs) are worth what they cost.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 01-15-20, 02:53 AM
cyclinglovers

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i am not sure ,for rainy weather , i often would use pannier bags also waterproof socks to keep myself and my necessities to dry, i would use the sealskinz socks before ,but it is expensive , then my friend introduce the cheaper one ,named waterfly waterproof socks, cheap but high quality, hope it helps
Old 01-15-20, 08:21 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
I bought a Showers Pass rain jacket at REI Seattle that was good but here in NYC I never use it. I don't know if they are still made. I wouldn't buy a Gore-Tex or anything that is expensive because it'll get dirty after one ride and you won't want to use it for anything other than cycling.
Old 01-15-20, 07:51 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6943 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
You've gotten some good advice so far, but my skim of this thread didn't catch the best advice for foul-weather commuting: fenders. Maybe you already have them...But if not, get them. And get long ones. And then add a leather mudflap to the tail end of the front fender so that you have coverage almost all the way to the pavement, and hence no wheelspray hitting your shoes, pedals, and bottom bracket.

Without fenders, your tires will spray water back up onto you and the bike, and it's water from the road -- i.e., dirty, oily, grimy. With fenders, you and the bike will still get wet, but only from rainwater - which is clean.
Old 01-16-20, 01:37 AM
bpcyclist

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
After two 30-mile rides in the rain:

wo rides in rain after having been totally clean prior.
Old 01-16-20, 12:59 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

I too am a big fan of fenders (but not on my road bike), but water spray doesn't just travel in line with the tire, in line with the frame. when you turn the wheel a little it now sprays to one side. also it sprays to sides if you get a little depth to the water

Old 01-16-20, 05:19 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I too am a big fan of fenders (but not on my road bike), but water spray doesn't just travel in line with the tire, in line with the frame. when you turn the wheel a little it now sprays to one side. also it sprays to sides if you get a little depth to the water
From the looks of the latter two photos, I think your fenders might be standing a bit too proud of your tires. Getting them closer would reduce the spray. (Though it could just be the angle of the photos.)
Old 01-17-20, 10:01 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Koyote
From the looks of the latter two photos, I think your fenders might be standing a bit too proud of your tires. Getting them closer would reduce the spray. (Though it could just be the angle of the photos.)
my point was fenders provide no protection from spray from the sides & from turning the wheel. in order to protect us from that, we'd have to have something that looks like this

Old 01-17-20, 10:44 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
my point was fenders provide no protection from spray from the sides & from turning the wheel. in order to protect us from that, we'd have to have something that looks like this
Oh, sure, I understand. But that big mudflap in your second photo must help a bit with that. Those things are the best.
Old 01-17-20, 12:30 PM
rumrunn6

Oh, sure, I understand. But that big mudflap in your second photo must help a bit with that. Those things are the best.
just found this pic too, of a different bike, tiny OEM mudflap. the spray from turning my wheel (w/o a longer fender &/or mudflap), while riding in snow, covered my toes w/ snow. so like you said longer fenders & a proper mudflap are ideal

back to my MTB, the fenders do stand off as you pointed out. don't want stuff getting caught up in there. I DIY'd the mudflap. it definitely catches stuff. but when/if it gets pulled off on a ride, I can put it back on pretty easily with the binder clips. but before I put it back in place I can see where the junk goes w/o it! I want to DIY something that will protect my front chainrings, but also some kind of sheild to keept stuff from my rear tire flying onto my chain

it's so big, it's funny to see the different positions it takes during rides

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-20-20 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-21-20, 09:14 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Frogg Toggs are a good choice. Many of them are designed for motorcycle riders, so they definitely work. They might not be as breathable as biking specific gear, but it's pretty inexpensive by comparison.

I have Novara rain pants and jacket, but almost never use them anymore since I just ride the velo when it's raining now.

Those got me through 3 years in Seattle though, so they definitely do the trick.
Old 01-22-20, 01:46 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I am a big Pearl Izumi fan. The arms are long enough for me and their warranty/service is fantastic. Not too expensive. Whatever you get, let it get dirty, maybe wash it once in a while but keep it away from heat.
Old 01-26-20, 11:56 AM
Ken Wind
VOTE FOR KEN WIND

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You've gotten some good advice so far, but my skim of this thread didn't catch the best advice for foul-weather commuting: fenders. Maybe you already have them...But if not, get them. And get long ones.
Yes! This is the best thing you can do to keep yourself and your gear dry most of the time, or at least significantly drier and cleaner. I'm a fan of the Planet Bike Cascadia fenders. They come with flaps already installed.
Old 01-26-20, 07:32 PM
Scott6283

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the input everyone!
Old 01-27-20, 12:46 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
No matter what jacket, poncho or rain cape you get see if you can try it on before buying it. If you can't try it on whilst sitting on your bike in the position you ride in then mimic that position in the store. Also, think about if you'll be using it in cooler weather s well as warm weather and if so get a larger size to accommodate the extra layer(s) of clothing. I paid $119.00 CDN for a breathable waterproof rain jacket that I can't use in cold weather because with the thicker clothing or an extra layer the jacket is too tight..

Cheers
Old 01-27-20, 06:33 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
The IKEA Rain Poncho can be a good start. See, e.g. here:

Last edited by 2_i; 01-27-20 at 06:38 AM.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 01-27-20, 06:03 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Frogg Toggs are a good choice. Many of them are designed for motorcycle riders, so they definitely work. They might not be as breathable as biking specific gear, but it's pretty inexpensive by comparison.

I have Novara rain pants and jacket, but almost never use them anymore since I just ride the velo when it's raining now.

Those got me through 3 years in Seattle though, so they definitely do the trick.
+1 the larger market share of Motorcycles keeps the price down, and they will be more robust to withstand the high winds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.