Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Inguinal hernia truss

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Inguinal hernia truss

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-20, 03:06 PM
Clydesdalecliff

Bikes: 2016 Emonda S5, Navigator 200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Inguinal hernia truss

I'm not meaning this to be gross or offensive, but I understand some might be. I have an inguinal hernia and due to other health issues cannot have corrective surgery. I'm wearing a truss to help with daily life and have noticed I need to wear it on the trainer at home. When we can rejoin our fellow cyclists on live group rides should I wear a second pair of shorts over my truss which is outside my cycling bibs or not worry about the fact the truss shows. I cannot stand wearing the truss in direct contact with my skin in any fashion so under the bibs is a full NO-GO.
Old 04-03-20, 12:29 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
A guy at the gym wears his under the shorts. Please, do the same. Riding shorts, truss, baggy shorts without liner.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 04-03-20, 01:57 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I would cover it up.
Old 04-03-20, 04:59 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,588 Times in 3,778 Posts
Thread moved from General Cycling to 50+ Pills & Ills.
Old 04-03-20, 02:18 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
Inguinal Hernia Truss

I was able to have surgery but had to wait many months to get it done. I bought an elastic fabric girdle that attached with velcro; I didn't stop riding and wore it under my bibs and jersey.
Old 04-06-20, 05:13 AM
Clydesdalecliff

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
A guy at the gym wears his under the shorts. Please, do the same. Riding shorts, truss, baggy shorts without liner.
this will work for me too, I believe.
I just tested this for comfort on my indoor trainer, it works, bonus the wife likes the look better than truss exposed over bibs.

Last edited by Clydesdalecliff; 04-06-20 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-01-20, 06:38 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Since my repair has been postponed due to the ongoing pandemic, and the weather is getting nicer, I want to ride. I got a truss and could not imagine wearing it while riding. That could be due to the style of the truss. What brand model truss do you use? (if you don't mind telling) And how is the comfort level on the bike?
Old 05-04-20, 02:53 PM
Clydesdalecliff

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Inguinal Truss name

Originally Posted by leob1
Since my repair has been postponed due to the ongoing pandemic, and the weather is getting nicer, I want to ride. I got a truss and could not imagine wearing it while riding. That could be due to the style of the truss. What brand model truss do you use? (if you don't mind telling) And how is the comfort level on the bike?
I'm using flexamed for inguinal and everyday medical for umbilical, they're both great on the bike, too be honest, barring them actually being repaired, or suddenly healing themselves, I cannot see riding without them.
I got both at that online retailer that started in Washington state and is named for the major river in South America.