Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

How come it seems like most BMX bikes are not coaster braked?

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-19, 01:42 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts

Or are there some? Seems like if you wanted to eliminate wires and such for brakes a coaster brake would work. I know some freewheeling rims allow to not have to pedal backwards when going backwards, but not all.....

Or is it that if doing tricks one could smash the coaster brake tab thing easily?
Old 09-21-19, 01:52 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
If you actually use it for BMX, using the coaster brake could prove to be problematic. Also I would gather that if you lose the screw and nut securing the arm, as I have found in regular usage the thing will twist backwards if you try to brake and jam.

Then you might take flying lessons out of the berms.
Old 09-22-19, 07:05 PM
gitanesearch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Most were but then we realized it was better and safer to have a freewheel and everyone who could converted theirs in the late 70s or early 80s... I remember you could even just take out the insides of the coaster brakes to make your coaster brake hub work like a freewheel. Freewheels are better for racing or riding trails because you can adjust your leg/feet positions. Some people kept coaster brakes just because they were used to it, but not many serious riders did.
Likes For gitanesearch:
Old 09-24-19, 11:40 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

I get it now as I'm learning. I'm 47 now and I did not grow up doing tricks on bikes. But after watching how the kids do it, I see why now. I did ride a skateboard quite a bit. Ahhhh the 80's.
Old 09-24-19, 02:13 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
With a coaster brake, the pedal can end up anywhere it pleases on its circle when you brake. Can be a nuisance when cornering or dealing with other obstacles. With a hand operated brake, braking is independent of pedal position.
Also, a regular freewheel tends to engage faster when you start pedalling forward.
Likes For dabac:
Old 09-26-19, 10:55 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Coaster was a pain if you jumped an pushed back (the brake) on landing. You had to stay very aware or risk flying over bars as you were standing.
Likes For Bikerider007:
Old 09-26-19, 04:03 PM
3S1M

Yeah, I don't know why that didn't dawn on me right off the bat. LOL.

Last edited by 3S1M; 09-27-19 at 10:35 AM.