Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Compression socks - leggings - tights - please advise

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Compression socks - leggings - tights - please advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-18, 02:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by jackrippah
Thanks for all the input!

No one mentioned the 'Thigh High' type which is what I got the impression that the Dr was referring to. Living in the tropics I like to keep it as light as possible when I ride.

I'll check the local shops for input and keep in mind the collective advice.

Thanks!
It's not as humid here in Texas as where you live, but does get pretty hot. A couple of friends wear moderate compression leggings year 'round and say it's comfortable in summer. One of 'em wears white -- he's had skin cancer and tries to minimize sun exposure. The other wears black leg and arm covers year 'round -- I joke around and call him Sharif Ali, after the man-in-black character played by Omar Sharif in Lawrence of Arabia.

I've worn my black knee high moderate compression hose (probably 10-20 mmHG compression) a couple of times in warm weather and was comfortable... well, not too uncomfortable. Going barelegged with sunscreen in summer sun isn't much more comfortable, just a different kind of discomfort. But white compression hose would probably be better in summer.

Mostly I wear them to improve circulation. While I do occasionally get light-headed if I stand up too quickly, that's due in part to obstruction from swollen thyroid glands. The main difference I notice in cycling is with the compression hose my legs feel fresher after a hard ride, less heavy, and with fewer circulatory problems in my feet. My feet are really picky about pressure along the tops of the feet, so if my laces are too snug, or I strap down the clipless shoes too snugly, my toes go numb even in warm weather. But if the clipless shoes are too loose it feels like I'm going to rip my feet out of the shoes on hill climbs. And I wear fairly lumpy orthotics with high arch support, which can also cause circulatory problems. Wearing compression hose, even the mid-calf length, seems to improve circulation when I snug down the straps.
Old 04-17-18, 07:04 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Not all compression socks are created equal. The thin ones sold at drug stores are usually inadequate for sports. The better compression socks will have ratings of the amount of compression at various points such as the instep, ankle and calf. You have to make sure you get the right size as too large of a sock may fit, but won't give you the rated compression. Unfortunately, good compression socks aren't cheap.
Old 04-18-18, 09:44 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
FWIW - just saw these

Baleaf Unisex Calf Compression Leg Sleeve Shin Support Calf Socks for Running, Cycling, Hiking, Shin Splints and Varicose Veins, Pure-Black, M(1 pair)
https://www.amazon.com/Baleaf-Compre...ession+cycling
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Compression Leg Sleeve.jpg (44.3 KB, 244 views)
Old 04-26-18, 02:55 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I have DVT (i.e. blood clots) and wear knee-high comp socks. Get 'em a Wal Mart. They're abut $20 for 2 pair. I'm also on 7.5 mg's of Warfain daily. I'm a machinist and stand all day every day and the comp socks really keep the swelling in check. The cycling helps too but sometimes if I forget the comp socks before I ride, my ankle will swell waaaay up depending on the severity of the ride. Maybe your doc should order an ultra sound, rather than guessing about your DVT. If a clot breaks loose and lodges in your lungs, heart or brain it will not be a good day for you.
Jon
Old 01-03-20, 11:46 AM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
FWIW, Wifey recently got compression socks for her 7 hr flight to LA + her 15hr flight to Australia, but took them off for the 2.5 hr flight to NZ. she got up every hr for a short walk to the restroom. she thinks those two things helped her prevent swollen legs / ankles, which she does not normally suffer from. I was impressed with them because they were attractive, meaning if you shop, keep looking until you find some you like the looks of. she did not get them on Amazon so I can't refer you to a specific product right now
I been wearing compression socks/sleeves on all flights longer than 3 hrs. The results is that my legs seem to get less stiff while sitting for so long. Unfortunately, airplane staff is discouraging passenger moving around or standing during flights.
I also wear compression socks/sleeves for about 12 hrs after a Brevet or race.
I find that sleeves are much easier to put on.
Old 01-03-20, 12:12 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by yannisg
airplane staff is discouraging passenger moving around or standing during flights
don't know if she meant just going to the restroom or what, or if they are more lenient on 13 - 15 hour flights
Old 01-03-20, 12:56 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
FWIW: I've got hereditary DVT in my legs. Originally the doctor told me to start wearing compression socks. I bought a few different brands but was never able to get them on; they're really difficult to get over my feet/ankles. As a result I've never worn them and never had any major ongoing problems (5 years with the issue). My ankles & lower legs still swell up by the end of the day, but it goes away overnight. And exercise does help to keep the swelling down and blood flowing.

Not sure why you'd have a light-headed feeling with DVT problems in your legs. I'd figure bicycling would increase your overall BP, so keep blood from rushing away from your head. Best see your doctor for a follow-up .

Last edited by skidder; 01-03-20 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-03-20, 01:07 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 2,976 Times in 1,496 Posts
so back to org. poster

what did he/she decide???
Old 01-03-20, 05:56 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
FWIW: I've got hereditary DVT in my legs. Originally the doctor told me to start wearing compression socks. I bought a few different brands but was never able to get them on; they're really difficult to get over my feet/ankles. As a result I've never worn them and never had any major ongoing problems (5 years with the issue). My ankles & lower legs still swell up by the end of the day, but it goes away overnight. And exercise does help to keep the swelling down and blood flowing.

Not sure why you'd have a light-headed feeling with DVT problems in your legs. I'd figure bicycling would increase your overall BP, so keep blood from rushing away from your head. Best see your doctor for a follow-up .
Have you tried this method: https://procompression.com/blogs/art...pression-socks
Old 01-03-20, 07:00 PM
rumrunn6

oh & Daughter says she did jumping jacks in the isle when she flew to New Zealand & Australia & on every plane trip while exploring the countries she walked around. she had a total of 9 flights in all during her 5 months down under
Old 02-19-20, 07:56 PM
eveeverly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobotGuy
I recommend CW-X. A bit expensive but I’ve been using their running tights for over a decade and they’re the best on the market. Well made, durable and supper supportive. My tights easily last 10,000 miles of running so the compression socks I’m sure will last at least as long.
Physix Gear and ACTINPUT are my favorite brands. I often travel for work, including multiple flights a week and a lot of flight time. After learning that my legs were swollen, my colleagues recommended compression socks. After using it once, I found that they did work and made a difference. I noticed that the feet and ankles no longer swelled after the flight and helped prevent DVT.
Old 02-29-20, 10:43 AM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
My long flights are no more than 9 hrs. I try to split a 12 hrs flight with a layover. I find a 12 hr continuous flight very tiring whereas the layover gives some relief by get off the plane and walking around to the connecting flight. Of course, there are disadvantages to the layover flights too. They used to let you stand for quite a while by the toilet or kitchen area, but now they discourage it.
Old 03-05-20, 04:41 PM
Lab4Us

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3 in Volt

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
I use these. Color matches the bike and adds to visibility (when wearing shorts)!

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/compression-socks.html
Old 03-06-20, 08:15 AM
bpmunroe 

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint AL3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am tall and large - 6’4” and let’s say a Clydesdale and a half or so. I had a knee replacement last year and do swell in that leg sometimes. I have tried compression socks and I like about 95% of the experience. That top of the socks, though, feel that tourniquets on my calves. They really leave a deep impression on the skin when I take them off.

what am I doing wrong or what else should I try. Thanks for the help
Brian Munroe
Old 03-08-20, 07:02 PM
scottmcd

Bikes: Kona ESATTO DDL Cinelli Zydeco

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have taken the top and folded them down a bit. Seems to help.