Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

New but not new and need help choosing a bike

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

New but not new and need help choosing a bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-20, 10:22 AM
Eilliam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New but not new.

Hi, I've been a member of this forum for a long time, but haven't been here in years. It's taken me about 12 years to make my first post . Anyway, I'm an amateur radio operator and I'm also out of shape and overweight and want to get into biking again to help lose weight. What section of the forum would I go to get help determining the right kind of bike for my needs?

Last edited by Eilliam; 03-24-20 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-24-20, 01:38 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Hi and welcome,
Try the ”general cycling discussions”.
Or try visiting a few real bike shops, not department stores. Tell them how you intend to ride, and see what they’ll suggest. Odds are, if you’ve been out of the loop for awhile, you’ll benefit from the support that a good shop can offer fairly soon.
Old 03-24-20, 04:38 PM
Bizsmom

Bikes: Marin Lombard 2020

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome!

I did exhaustive research before I bought my bike...so much so that I had "analysis paralysis". It's a decent investment so I wanted to get what was right for me. Read through the forums, and definitely go to some LBS and tell them how much you intend to ride, drop bar, straight bar, road, path, mountain biking, etc. and they will steer you in the right direction. What I found was that most bikes that shared similar price ranges had similar features and the only big differences between them was how I felt when I test rode them. The best bike for you is the one that you will ride! As for the forums, just keep in mind that there are some SERIOUS cyclists on here and they may obsess over a lot of the things that newbies like us don't need to worry about just yet.

Happy Riding!
Old 03-25-20, 07:34 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Greetings!
Whereabouts are you? And what kind of riding are you primarily interested in?
Old 03-26-20, 07:18 AM
Wissahickon2

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Will you be riding primarily on paved road, "gravel" roads or dirt roads/offroad? Or perhaps all types of terrain? I agree with maybe going to your local bike shop.