Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Will a new GPS computer be funner?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-20, 09:37 PM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts

I'm debating getting a better bike computer. I currently just have a Bryton Rider 10 which has worked well enough and does the basics. One thing I miss a little is strava segments, and I would like speed and average speed on the same screen. Pretty sure I can't get those on the same screen with bryton 10. Originally I thought I might replace it with a Bryton Rider 410 which seems like a good deal, but is there something more fun with the better computers? Or will it just be a bit improved, but not really be so exciting? Curious what others who have upgraded their computers think. And is this backcountry company good to buy from? They have a sale on the Wahoo Elemnt for $239.99. And so for those who think it's worth getting a better computer, your recommendations are welcome.
Old 02-29-20, 10:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
You'd be much better off as a cyclist putting that $$ toward a power meter instead.

For most people a bike computer is kind of just there. It doesn't move the bike for you, you can't pay that much attention to it while you're riding, etc. They can annoy, but not delight. But if you're a gadget person you might like a different one better.
Old 03-01-20, 06:59 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
The thing that got me to upgrade from a garmin 800 to an 830 is that the 830 is much faster. Not sure that would be the case for the OP. I have never experienced a computer being fun, they are mostly a source of annoyance. Although I do appreciate it the navigation help.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-01-20, 08:01 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Avg., and current speed really mean very little since there are so many variables that affect those speeds: bike geometry (ability to get aero), tire type, headwinds, hills, drafting others, outside temp, hitting red lights or not, etc...The most frequently used data fields of my Garmin 520 (~2-3 years old) is the ability to display my power meter data (3 second avg. retrieved via BlueTooth from the rear hub power meter). Next is Cadence (also retrieved from the power meter). Then comes the ability to have the computer navigate turns for me, on unknown routes. Then maybe the outside temperature data field, good for knowing when to strip a layer off, or put one on. And finally the Heart Rate display, via BlueTooth HRM chest strap.

If you plan on riding in the cold, with bulky winter gloves on, I'd recommend getting a computer with tactile buttons on the sides, and not a touch screen, so you can manipulate the device without taking your glove off.

Last edited by Riveting; 03-01-20 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-01-20, 08:05 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
As Seattle Forrest and unterhausen have written, computers often annoy and seldom delight. I suggest that, if you can’t configure the data screens as you wish on your current computer, then buy one that will do just what you want - and no more. Getting a super fancy computer, with a lot of features that you don’t desire, means a device that will be overly complicated and eat into your riding time rather than making it more pleasurable.
Old 03-01-20, 09:49 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
Dunno, my 1030 brings me happiness when it’s navigating and giving me turn directions on roads I’ve never been on. Let’s me explore new areas. I really enjoy that.

My 1030 also allows touch screen operation with full fingered gloves, though I understand some folks don’t have luck with that. I’d rather have touch screen than buttons.

The Elemnt at $240 is a good deal.
Old 03-01-20, 12:39 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Anything for a bike that is new is funner.
Old 03-01-20, 06:43 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
My bike gps is mainly just to record my ride so I can look at my stat's when I get home and see what may have been happening when I performed well or performed badly. Sometimes the only time I look at my bike gps is to start the timer and stop it at the end of the ride.

Perhaps watching cartoons might make it funner. But my eyes are better used looking for traffic and other hazards.

I'd also spend my money on a power meter, better wheels or save for another bike.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-01-20, 09:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Dunno, my 1030 brings me happiness when it’s navigating and giving me turn directions on roads I’ve never been on. Let’s me explore new areas. I really enjoy that.

My 1030 also allows touch screen operation with full fingered gloves, though I understand some folks don’t have luck with that. I’d rather have touch screen than buttons.

The Elemnt at $240 is a good deal.
​​​​​​I never had any trouble with the touch screen on my 800 with gloves on. Maybe it's because I wear thin glove liners on the bike? I have to take them off about half the time to use my phone's touch screen, so Garmin is doing a good job.

If you have a computer with maps, touch screen is ideal, almost necessary. (I have maps in my watch, but interact with buttons, and that's frustrating.) Without maps it doesn't matter, with them there isn't a better interface than touch screen.

Says I.
Old 03-02-20, 09:55 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4256 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Touch screens are better (so are bigger screens) for non-basic use of maps. That means a watch or a 530 isn’t going to be great for that use.

I find the Garmin touch screens work well. But nothing is going to be perfect.

I’d get 530 over a 520/520+ unless it was very cheap. The 530 is significantly faster and has better battery life. The same for the 830 over the 820.
Old 03-02-20, 10:33 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,931 Times in 1,212 Posts
Touch screens with gloves? Depends on the glove. I've got a couple pairs of lightweight gloves for 40-55 degree riding. One of those requires taking the glove off to access the touch screen on either of my Garmins. The other pair of gloves generally lets me swipe without thought, but depressing a virtual button takes some concentration.

Below 40F? I'm usually concentrating on getting where I'm going instead of playing around with the GPS. Not sure how those gloves work.
Old 03-05-20, 03:26 AM
VC CYCLE

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can check RIDEIWAKE, they combines headlight and GPS, seems an interesting concept. Big screen may have more data reading.
Old 03-05-20, 03:33 AM
VC CYCLE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I share same idea with you. I am a social rider, to record the data would be good and just simply press it to start and press it to end. bicycle computer with navigation is kind of expensive for me.
Old 03-05-20, 09:15 AM
aclass

Bikes: Specialized Roubiax Sport

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I truly enjoy my Garmin cycling computer and all that it has to offer. I bought my first power meter this year and it opened up an entirely new set of enlightening metrics. Makes the cycling experience and suffering much more enjoyable and meaningful.
Likes For aclass:
Old 03-08-20, 03:04 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
From Bryton, the biggest upgrades from the Rider 10 would be the Aero60 (used by some pro teams, probably a sponsorship deal) and Rider 420. Those are on my wish list. But I don't see much advantage to a fancier computer unless I'm also using a power meter, which ain't in my budget now.

Overall Bryton products seem to get better reviews and more satisfied customers than comparably priced Lezyne computers. While Lezyne makes other great products they seem to be less successful with computers. Although the Lezyne Macro Easy seems good for folks who mostly want real time navigation aids.

Most of my friends use Garmin or Wahoo. These don't get perfect reviews either but most folks seem satisfied with 'em.

I use a cheap XOSS G+. Got it in January, liked it well enough I bought another for half price ($25). It wouldn't be an upgrade from your Bryton Rider 10. Mostly I wanted to track my heart rate while riding, and avoid draining my phone. The XOSS does that just fine. No navigation aids at all. But it records rides reliably, can run several rides between recharges, and is compatible with my various ANT+ and Bluetooth sensors. Unlike my phones, I don't need to piddle around for several minutes before every ride waiting for sensors to pair. As soon as I turn on the XOSS it's linked to my sensors.
Old 03-16-20, 04:43 PM
Glidedon

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
What brand senors are you using? I'm trying to pair my Garmin HRM to my Xoss g+ with out luck so far.

Originally Posted by canklecat
From Bryton, the biggest upgrades from the Rider 10 would be the Aero60 (used by some pro teams, probably a sponsorship deal) and Rider 420. Those are on my wish list. But I don't see much advantage to a fancier computer unless I'm also using a power meter, which ain't in my budget now.

Overall Bryton products seem to get better reviews and more satisfied customers than comparably priced Lezyne computers. While Lezyne makes other great products they seem to be less successful with computers. Although the Lezyne Macro Easy seems good for folks who mostly want real time navigation aids.

Most of my friends use Garmin or Wahoo. These don't get perfect reviews either but most folks seem satisfied with 'em.

I use a cheap XOSS G+. Got it in January, liked it well enough I bought another for half price ($25). It wouldn't be an upgrade from your Bryton Rider 10. Mostly I wanted to track my heart rate while riding, and avoid draining my phone. The XOSS does that just fine. No navigation aids at all. But it records rides reliably, can run several rides between recharges, and is compatible with my various ANT+ and Bluetooth sensors. Unlike my phones, I don't need to piddle around for several minutes before every ride waiting for sensors to pair. As soon as I turn on the XOSS it's linked to my sensors.
Old 03-16-20, 11:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Glidedon
What brand senors are you using? I'm trying to pair my Garmin HRM to my Xoss g+ with out luck so far.
There was some trick to pairing the sensors with the XOSS G+. Took me a couple of tries to figure it out back in January. The instructions (PDF with the XOSS app) isn't completely intuitive. As I recall there was some step I missed the first time or two -- something about pressing both buttons simultaneously on the G+ unit, kinda like taking a screenshot with a smartphone and trying to mash the on/off and volume buttons just the right way. But no problems since pairing them. The G+ reads all my sensors quicker than my Android or iPhone.

I have a Wahoo Tickr heart rate monitor; two sets of older (2012 vintage) Wahoo ANT+ speed/cadence paired sensors that are wired together and driven by magnets on the crank and wheel; and a XOSS speed/cadence sensor (induction type, no magnets needed).

The older Wahoo sensor kits from their early pre-computer bike packs (ANT+ receiver pack for the iPhone) were ANT+ only. The Wahoo Tickr and XOSS induction speed/cadence sensors are ANT+/Bluetooth. I think the XOSS G+ defaults to ANT+ even if Bluetooth is available. Suits me because that enables reading the sensors from both my phone and computer, and frees up the Bluetooth transceiver for another device that lacks ANT+.

For awhile back in January-February I also used the XOSS brand speed/cadence sensor with the Wahoo Fitness app on my smartphone. But Wahoo just changed their policy and requires a log-in to use the app. I don't mind, I just haven't had time to mess with it yet and try to figure out yet another stupid password. But if it enables the Wahoo Fitness app to sync both my Android and iPhone logs, great. That's been my only gripe about Wahoo Fitness up til now.
Old 03-17-20, 05:18 PM
Glidedon

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I was able to connect after multiple tries/ reboots !
I'm pretty pleased with the Xoss for the price. Just as good as my old Garmin 305 was.
Likes For Glidedon:
Old 03-18-20, 03:24 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Yeah, the US market got pretty lucky with the XOSS G+, especially if we bought through Amazon before February 2020.

Some international customers have been unhappy with XOSS for various reasons, and the XOSS rep has been incommunicado on Facebook since January. At the time the rep claimed the Asian New Year would delay some replies to tech questions. In retrospect it's likely the COVID-19/coronavirus pandemic had already crippled China but they were obligated to keep it hushed up. That will be extremely hard for any small startup, especially if it's a small team and there's nobody available to update the app, fix glitches, etc.

The XOSS G, G+ and Sprint were developed by China's version of Strava (totally unrelated company, offering a similar web and app based activity log/social network). Looks like they planned to launch computers to compete with Strava and perhaps lure US customers over to their activities app environment. But all that seems to be at a standstill for now.

It's been a good device for me so far. But it may be awhile before the app is updated. I'm satisfied, as long as it continues to function and transfer data to Strava.

I don't really pay much attention to the XOSS G+ during a ride, but the heart rate alarm has been handy. I set it to beep when I'm approaching red zone, so I don't need to watch the screen while doing intervals, standing sprints up short, steep hills, etc. Usually the beeping coincides with me being within 5-10 seconds of redlining and gassing out, so I suppose I could go back to the old fashioned method of simply pushing until I can't, then backing off for a few minutes, lather-rinse-repeat.
Old 03-25-20, 02:51 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I don't know if a new bike computer would be funner. That would be for some definition of fun that's foreign to me. In my case I do derive satisfaction from having a bike computer that shows me what I want to know during a ride, because I'm riding a lot for specific purposes dominated mostly by fitness goals. Thus, I want to see speed, distance, cadence, heart rate, and as of last week power output. Seeing those numbers during my rides helps me know if I'm following my plans and achieving my goals, which contributes to my satisfaction.

Some folks don't give a hoot about numbers, measurements, data to analyze after a ride, etc. I doubt any bike computer would make a ride funner for such a person.

Bottom line is if you want to know certain things that are measurable during a ride, and your current bike computer isn't showing that to you, then you may enjoy getting one that can. Beyond that, I consider a good bike computer to be more utilitarian in nature than fun.
Old 03-26-20, 12:07 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Try riding with an old cell phone and running a bike computer app. If you have an old phone it costs nothing. Then after a few rides, you will know if you like having a big display screen on the bike. A good free app that will connect to Stava is the Wahoo Fitness App. It works even on an old iPhone 5.

The problem is battery life. The full-time screen and GPS kills the battery. Don't use your normal phone as it really does kill the battery. Old phones are cheap as dirt. This will let you try for nearly free.