Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-20, 05:36 PM
jreeves 

Bikes: 1984~85 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Raleigh Super Course, 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by reluctantsuburb
My market seems to be cornered by a guy named Robert who lists these old school MTBs at crazy markups (example). (I have a pretend feud with Robert as he seems to have every large MTB frame in Dallas)

With that being said, my parts bin is pretty light, so the seller offered to raid his. He's found a bottom bracket, cranks, pedals, stem, bars, brakes and levers, seat post,shifters , and rear Shimano dx derailleur he said he'd throw in for 75. At that point, I think I'm in business. Thoughts?

I'm wondering if this wheelset would be alright as a starting point. I know nothing about wheel building :/
Is that the Cimarron frame with the group on it? Looks like a nice wheelset, even the tires so long as the dropout spacing is close and the cassette is compatible. It may work for you but by the time you've got a rider I wouldn't expect you'd get your investment back out of it. Best be sure it's a keeper!
Old 04-03-20, 05:38 PM
reluctantsuburb

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jreeves
Is that the Cimarron frame with the group on it? Looks like a nice wheelset, even the tires so long as the dropout spacing is close and the cassette is compatible. It may work for you but by the time you've got a rider I wouldn't expect you'd get your investment back out of it. Best be sure it's a keeper!
Oh, I'm not trying to sell this--I'm trying to build up a commuter for myself! Sorry if that wasn't clear
Old 04-03-20, 05:43 PM
reluctantsuburb

And sorry, forgot to answer your question--yes, that's the frame with the group and everything he's proposing throwing in
Old 04-03-20, 06:14 PM
jreeves 

Bikes: 1984~85 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Raleigh Super Course, 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Oh, I'm not trying to sell this--I'm trying to build up a commuter for myself! Sorry if that wasn't clear
I got that, and it's fair to say I've lost money on every bike flip I've ever done. It's part of my "hobby".

Start a new thread if this deal comes together.
Old 04-03-20, 06:46 PM
reluctantsuburb

I got that, and it's fair to say I've lost money on every bike flip I've ever done. It's part of my "hobby".

Start a new thread if this deal comes together.
Haha, fair enough! And will do
Likes For reluctantsuburb:
Old 04-04-20, 06:33 PM
FujiSam

Bikes: '72 Fuji Newest, '79 Fuji Royale Gravel Grinder; '84 Schwinn High Sierra BMX Cruiser; '97 Huffy Tremor BMX

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 51 Posts
Both options look great! The Cimarron is obviously nicer, but I'd be remiss if I didn't root for the Fuji What can I say, I'm a sucker for some good seat tube graphics! Seriously though, with the components on the Cimarron, that would be a good move, and the frame looks like a better fit for a taller rider. Looks like a nice wheelset, too. One thing about the Fuji though is that it has horizontal dropouts, which could be nice down the line if you decide to go single speed (which I seem to do after a while with some of my bikes), then you don't need a chain tensioner. Plus, it's rad

Additionally, I think I know the MTB frame hoarder you are talking about! My Dad lives in Euless and I occasionally check Dallas CL for parts he could send my way and I always see a dude who has the sweetest MTB builds. I have to admit I've screen-shotted several for inspiration.

Good luck!
Old 04-04-20, 10:38 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts

Closest thing I have is this Carlton built Raleigh Rapide. Good fun on the gravel !
Old 04-05-20, 12:29 AM
Padgett

Bikes: All City Gorilla Monsoon, 1985 Fat Chance Competition, 90s Kona Cinder Cone, 1973 Schwinn Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 24 Posts
My market seems to be cornered by a guy named Robert who lists these old school MTBs at crazy markups (example). (I have a pretend feud with Robert as he seems to have every large MTB frame in Dallas) :/
Its aggravating that the pipe smoking Robert has the market cornered. I would really like to find a MTB frame (> 19") before him one day. I am lucky to have found a large fat chance, but that was in MS! Robert surely would've beat me if it were dfw. Frustrating. I saw a nice Raleigh posted for $75 from someone one day, and then two days later he had bought it, put new cables on it, and wanted $200+!!
Old 04-05-20, 07:40 AM
reluctantsuburb

Originally Posted by FujiSam
Both options look great! The Cimarron is obviously nicer, but I'd be remiss if I didn't root for the Fuji What can I say, I'm a sucker for some good seat tube graphics! Seriously though, with the components on the Cimarron, that would be a good move, and the frame looks like a better fit for a taller rider. Looks like a nice wheelset, too. One thing about the Fuji though is that it has horizontal dropouts, which could be nice down the line if you decide to go single speed (which I seem to do after a while with some of my bikes), then you don't need a chain tensioner. Plus, it's rad

Additionally, I think I know the MTB frame hoarder you are talking about! My Dad lives in Euless and I occasionally check Dallas CL for parts he could send my way and I always see a dude who has the sweetest MTB builds. I have to admit I've screen-shotted several for inspiration.

Good luck!
Haha, the Fuji does have a lot going for it, but it's a little too close in size to my current commuter (which actually also has horizontal dropouts and I run it with an IGH!).

Funny on you having seen those MTB builds, too
Old 04-05-20, 07:41 AM
reluctantsuburb

Originally Posted by Padgett
Its aggravating that the pipe smoking Robert has the market cornered. I would really like to find a MTB frame (> 19") before him one day. I am lucky to have found a large fat chance, but that was in MS! Robert surely would've beat me if it were dfw. Frustrating. I saw a nice Raleigh posted for $75 from someone one day, and then two days later he had bought it, put new cables on it, and wanted $200+!!
Haha--reading this was therapeutic for me. Glad I'm not alone!
Old 04-05-20, 01:56 PM
blart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
Originally posted this build in the drop bar conversion thread as it was originally drop bar conversion. I did not know this thread existed and it fits much better here:

1987 Specialized "Street Stomper". The frame was a gift from my then girlfriend(now wife) back in 2013/14. First, I put trekking bars on it, then some Nitto Randonneur bars that were way too narrow. Finally, obviously inspired by the XO-1, I have a Nitto Dirt Drop stem with Moustache bars. I think I got the last pair of Compass(not Rene Herse) rat trap passes at 2020 Cycles in Seattle's Central District. Kore Kross brakes were a gift from a good friend and lastly I got the swift basket bag for christmas:

Last edited by blart; 04-10-20 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-05-20, 02:04 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by blart
Originally posted this build in the drop bar conversion thread as it was originally drop bar conversion. I did not know this thread existed and it fits much better here:

1987 Specialized "Street Stomper". The frame was a gift from my then girlfriend(now wife) back in 2013/14. First, I put trekking bars on it, then some Nitto Randonneur bars that were way too narrow. Finally, obviously inspired by the MB-1, I have a Nitto Dirt Drop stem with Moustache bars. I think I got the last pair of Compass(not Rene Herse) rat trap passes at 2020 Cycles in Seattle's Central District. Kore Kross brakes were a gift from a good friend and lastly I got the swift basket bag for christmas:
I've always thought the street stomper is a great bike for these conversions, great job.
Old 04-05-20, 06:01 PM
antmaster5000

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, Surly Pacer, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts

1987 Specialized "Street Stomper". The frame was a gift from my then girlfriend(now wife) back in 2013/14. First, I put trekking bars on it, then some Nitto Randonneur bars that were way too narrow. Finally, obviously inspired by the MB-1, I have a Nitto Dirt Drop stem with Moustache bars. I think I got the last pair of Compass(not Rene Herse) rat trap passes at 2020 Cycles in Seattle's Central District. Kore Kross brakes were a gift from a good friend and lastly I got the swift basket bag for christmas:

Awesome build. Let me guess on the photos.. Bainbridge Island?
Old 04-05-20, 07:07 PM
blart

Originally Posted by Piff
I've always thought the street stomper is a great bike for these conversions, great job.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by antmaster5000
Awesome build. Let me guess on the photos.. Bainbridge Island?
Thanks! I wish! I'm currently hunkered down in Michigan with a newborn baby and our family. A lot of great memories on Bainbridge, though.
Old 04-10-20, 01:26 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts

Saw an early 90s xo-1 last year and have since been curious what moustache bars feel like, what with their horizontal brake-levering setup. Would love to hear your impressions.
I picked up some used Moustache bars a few months ago but have yet to try them out...
Old 04-10-20, 06:10 PM
blart

Originally Posted by ctak
Saw an early 90s xo-1 last year and have since been curious what moustache bars feel like, what with their horizontal brake-levering setup. Would love to hear your impressions.
I picked up some used Moustache bars a few months ago but have yet to try them out...
I like them on a more upright build like this one. They are somewhere between an upright bar and a drop bar. To me they seem more functional than a riser/flat bar but more limited than a drop bar. You have the "drops" (the very far out widest part of the bar) but that's the standard riding position and you have an "aero"(right behind the brakes) position. Riding the hoods is possible but you can't ride the tops because they don't exist. The best parts are that the "drops" are super wide and comfy and the "aero" position is awesome for getting out of the saddle and climbing- very stable. Also, I happen to really like the look. I think they do well on a city/touring/all-around type bike.

Last edited by blart; 04-10-20 at 06:19 PM.
Likes For blart:
Old 04-10-20, 06:59 PM
ctak

Thanks for the rundown! Do steep descents feel secure when positioned on the hoods (or is it possible to access brake levers from the "armpit" of the bar)?
Old 04-10-20, 08:41 PM
ZudeJammer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Series V 1985, Motobecane Grand Touring 1982, Specialized Stumpjumper 1993, Raleigh International 1972, Raleigh Grand Prix 1972, Kuwahara Count 1983, Trek Cirrus 1987, Shogun 2001 1983, Cannondale SM700 1990

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 96 Posts
nice vintage gloves too there!
Old 04-10-20, 11:48 PM
ctak

My magical miyata mtb floater at the beach. 40t front, 11-34t rear, compass RTP, swept back nitto bars... 23mph at 100rpms on the flats while possible, is not easy to maintain. RiddleOfSteel can confirm
Likes For ctak:
Old 04-11-20, 08:28 AM
blart

Thanks for the rundown! Do steep descents feel secure when positioned on the hoods (or is it possible to access brake levers from the "armpit" of the bar)?
I mostly use the brakes from the "armpit" or with my index finger when my hands are a little further out.
Old 04-11-20, 09:46 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 415 Posts
1995 Trek 930.
Switched to Kenda Komfort tires, changed grip shift to Shimano Rapidfire shift. Converted to threadless shorter stem.
Simple fenders for now.
Likes For daverup:
Old 04-11-20, 11:02 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts
Here is my latest urban assault vehicle .

Schwinn Sierra, mostly original equipment including 14- 30 Shimano freewheel, front and rear derailleurs, crank, wheels, brakes, stem and seat post.

Parts I replaced/upgraded

Chain, pedals, tires (2 x 26 Bontrager’s) , bars, brake levers, grips, cables and covers, bottle cage, saddle.

The bike was dusty , dirty and disheveled when I grabbed it from the diserted Bike Exchange last week .

Stripping it of its old rags and giving it a thorough cleaning revealed frame paint in pretty good

Condition. Some touch up with red Rustoleum from one of my spray cans matched the original solid color perfectly . With all the bright bits cleaned and polished she looks brand new. I couldn’t help gilding the lily a bit and added the red highlights to the fluted seat post.

I can’t think of a better steed for some urban techie wanting a cool vintage ride from his apartment down the street to his job at Google or Facebook.

These are the fattest tires I have put on a bike yet. We don’t usually get them this big at the Bike Exchange. I do have a set of 2.125 x 26 I stole off a huffy cruiser the other day. I am waiting for the perfect frame to put them on.

One kind of quirky bit of kit you will see are the Shimano shifters. I bought a couple sets a year ago because they were cheap . They are unique in the way they shift. Index shifting from high to low gear is by the shift lever. When you push the button the derailleur drops back down to high gear all at once. I guess they figure once you get to the top of the hill you automatically want to be in high.

They take a little getting used to but are kind of neat.

Likes For capnjonny:
Old 04-11-20, 11:11 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 407 Posts
My magical miyata mtb floater at the beach. 40t front, 11-34t rear, compass RTP, swept back nitto bars... 23mph at 100rpms on the flats while possible, is not easy to maintain. RiddleOfSteel can confirm

Gadzooks, you're tall. That looks like a really fun ride for cruising or some light trails
Old 04-11-20, 04:21 PM
dunrobin

Bikes: colnago titanio oval master, pinarello treviso es, centurion prestige, tomac ti 26er, lemond buenos aires, mbk 753, vitus 992 and zx1, rocky mountain hammer disc,bd century titanium, specialized venge expert

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts

Late 90s Raleigh tomac ti setup upright, relegated to street cruising with the kids. Would have made a fun MTB setup back in the day... Still a fun ride
​​​​
Likes For dunrobin:
Old 04-14-20, 12:46 AM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by vp1337
My utterly hideous Bianchi:

i guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder then. I like!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.