Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

e-Tube programming pitfalls and tips

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-17, 08:31 AM
sturvey
Big rider

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 Disc, Madone 7.7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After getting the correct software and hardware to enable the vaunted “Synchro or Semi-Synchro shifting”, I spent hours trying to figure out things that should have been clearly spelled out somewhere in the Shimano sites or manuals. After culling through a ton of these, as well as numerous forums, I acquired the knowledge needed to install, configure, and use this new capability.

No one else should go through what I did, so I threw this together: e-Tube Users Guide Shimano Forgot

And if you’re interested in altering the shifting to behave similar to SRAM eTap shifting, I have another doc for that: Shimano-eTap shifting
Old 04-11-17, 09:32 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sturvey
And if you’re interested in altering the shifting to behave similar to SRAM eTap shifting, I have another doc for that: Shimano-eTap shifting
Sweet! Does that mod make the drivetrain make tons of noise and miss front shifts? (Just kidding before my inbox explodes)

Also, I'm not so sure how well semi and synchro has been received.
Likes For Silvercivic27:
Old 04-11-17, 01:42 PM
vze23c3q

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been very happy with synchro, the only thing you lose is the ability to cross-chain at the extremes. You can still shift the front as you wish, but you can also do everything with just the right shifter if you're so inclined. It's a little clunky in the rear (sprocket 2 to 4) when the front shifts to the smaller ring while climbing. But going the other way, small ring to large while accelerating (and sprocket 10 to 8), you almost can't feel the shift (other than a slower cadence.) I give it two thumbs up.
Old 04-12-17, 08:53 PM
Mark Manner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After getting the correct software and hardware to enable the vaunted “Synchro or Semi-Synchro shifting”, I spent hours trying to figure out things that should have been clearly spelled out somewhere in the Shimano sites or manuals. After culling through a ton of these, as well as numerous forums, I acquired the knowledge needed to install, configure, and use this new capability.

No one else should go through what I did, so I threw this together: e-Tube Users Guide Shimano Forgot

Thanks very much for this, I appreciate it.
Mark
Old 04-13-17, 07:29 AM
enzo thecat

Bikes: 2017 Trek P1 Domane SLR 7, 2016 Boone SLR 7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, WTH with Shimano not providing support documents for their products? I asked my LBS about converting my Ultegra to BT. Apparently they've never done this so they did a little research. After they called their Shimano rep, they told me I should forget the upgrade and not to try programming it myself. They were told that using e-tube can be problematic. They suggested I just bring it in and they will make any changes I want at no charge. Not really sure where that leaves me. I like tinkering and trying setting out on my own.
Old 04-13-17, 07:38 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Using e-tube could not be easier. Using e-tube to customize synchro-shift is easy . . . IF you have good instructions.

Shimano used to be renowned for their excellent instruction sheets. I learned to work on bikes using Shimano's clear, detailed instructions, included with every component. About seven years ago, that changed -- and it's a shame. The dealer guides are still excellent, but Shimano is letting their customers down.

And . . . does anyone REALLY want to reprogram a Shimano setup to require two-handed front shifting? Really? No thanks. Handcuffs aren't any fun on bikes. Two-handed switching is only good for metal forge presses and nuclear weapons.
Old 04-13-17, 07:47 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by enzo thecat
Yeah, WTH with Shimano not providing support documents for their products? I asked my LBS about converting my Ultegra to BT. Apparently they've never done this so they did a little research. After they called their Shimano rep, they told me I should forget the upgrade and not to try programming it myself. They were told that using e-tube can be problematic. They suggested I just bring it in and they will make any changes I want at no charge. Not really sure where that leaves me. I like tinkering and trying setting out on my own.
I found the PC based E-Tube software pretty easy to use. Once you start it up and connect it to your bike it will show you exactly what is installed with part numbers, download the latest firmware and install it pretty easily. I don't have the latest internal battery, nor the latest D-Fly so I haven't been able to play with the synchro shift or mobile phone apps, but overall the Windows software is pretty intuitive.
Old 04-13-17, 09:00 AM
enzo thecat

Bikes: 2017 Trek P1 Domane SLR 7, 2016 Boone SLR 7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MidTNBrad
I found the PC based E-Tube software pretty easy to use. Once you start it up and connect it to your bike it will show you exactly what is installed with part numbers, download the latest firmware and install it pretty easily. I don't have the latest internal battery, nor the latest D-Fly so I haven't been able to play with the synchro shift or mobile phone apps, but overall the Windows software is pretty intuitive.
Will the USB charging adapter that came with my Ultegra allow me to do this or do I need to buy another adapter to sync to the computer? Also I have a Mac laptop. Is it Mac compatible? If its not Mac compatible, I can use a Windows machine from work.
Old 04-13-17, 09:06 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Will the USB charging adapter that came with my Ultegra allow me to do this or do I need to buy another adapter to sync to the computer? Also I have a Mac laptop. Is it Mac compatible? If its not Mac compatible, I can use a Windows machine from work.
Yep, plug the USB micro port into your junction box on one end, your computer on the other. As for Mac, I'm not sure. I don't know if there is a Mac compatible version of E-Tube.
Old 04-13-17, 09:15 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

The phrase "Can be problematic" is vague enough to be meaningless.

Its nice that they want to do it no charge but I'd take that advice as a cue to look for a shop with a Di2 certified mechanic. Even the REI near me has a guy certified in Di2.

Shimano documentation isn't the best but there is enough info out there for you to do it yourself apart from a shop, especially if you like working on your own stuff.

-Tim-
Old 04-13-17, 11:27 AM
sturvey
Big rider

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 Disc, Madone 7.7

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Using e-tube could not be easier. Using e-tube to customize synchro-shift is easy . . . IF you have good instructions.

Shimano used to be renowned for their excellent instruction sheets. I learned to work on bikes using Shimano's clear, detailed instructions, included with every component. About seven years ago, that changed -- and it's a shame. The dealer guides are still excellent, but Shimano is letting their customers down.

And . . . does anyone REALLY want to reprogram a Shimano setup to require two-handed front shifting? Really? No thanks. Handcuffs aren't any fun on bikes. Two-handed switching is only good for metal forge presses and nuclear weapons.
So, I'm guessing you're not a SRAM guy...
Old 04-13-17, 11:30 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
So, I'm guessing you're not a SRAM guy...
Actually, I do use some SRAM stuff, but only the kind I can shift using one hand at a time. I sympathize with SRAM's need to work around the existing patents to bring something to market. I honestly do. But two-handed simultaneous shifting? No. Stupid solution. Could we possibly make it MORE cumbersome? (I don't think so.)

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 04-13-17 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-04-20, 07:07 PM
martymc
V8, Big Block

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MidTNBrad
Yep, plug the USB micro port into your junction box on one end, your computer on the other. As for Mac, I'm not sure. I don't know if there is a Mac compatible version of E-Tube.
Although this is a really old thread, I am posting the following in case others end up banging their head against the wall trying to get Shimano's E-tube software working on a Mac.

I own Parallels and run Windows 10 on a Mac. While I use Windows for only the odd program or two, when I do use it there's no problems. Actually seems to run better than before I switched 100% to Macs in 2010. So I bought a new Trek with Di2, went to download the software and was surprised it's Windows only. No problem. Load it up, connect the cable, and it won't recognize it. I read all sort of fixes from using VM Ware's Fusion alternative (and many say that works fine) to other saying just keep connecting/re-connecting and it will finally work. I'm no computer genius, but that just seemed odd. I could see the E-tube software ever so briefly change when the SM-BCR2 cable was connected -- so I knew the data was making it in. Just by dumb luck I Google for "Shimano SM-BCR2 driver" and landed on a FAQ page at Shimano that lists Windows drivers. I followed those instructions to the T (be sure to install as administrator as shown), then run the E-tube software as normal, and it finally works.

I read the Di2 installation manuals, user guides, etc. and never came across anything speaking of specific drivers for the Di2 to computer pieces to make the e-Tube software work. I would have assumed those would have gotten installed along with the E-Tube software -- but no.

Hope this helps others:
https://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/faq/driver.html