Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cervelo C3 for almost 50% off. But is it good for my needs?

Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Old 01-29-20, 05:15 PM
aabb

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Hey all, just came back from my LBS. They had a 2019 Cervelo C3 discounted from $4999 (CAD) to $2999. Ultegra, carbon, and all of that (sorry, im new to cycling). The other bike I was looking at was the Domane SL 5 (Shimano 105) for $3799. I intend to do mostly roads, with a good deal of gravel along the way (nothing too crazy) - this is why I am leaning towards the Domane SL 5 due to the larger tire clearance.

But I am tempted by the C3 as it seems like a BIG discount. He did tell me however that the Domane is more aero and has the Isospeed (the C3 doesn't have any sort of comparable technology, as he told me the C3 relies on geometry and what not for the endurance and comfort). He also said Isospeed does actually work (I thought it was a gimmick at first).

I know fitting is what matters most, but assuming both fit fine, is there one bike I should be leaning towards?

Also, I thought most shops do the fancy dynamic fit for free if you get a bike from them, but those guys want to charge me $200.

Thanks again friends
Old 01-29-20, 06:25 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I would buy the one that rode better. For three plus thousand, that bike had better sing to me, or I'd keep looking. The Cervelo is a better buy, but what matters is how much you like riding it. Take your pedals and shoes and test ride them both.

No free fit from any of the bike shops 'round here. Yeah, they'll get you "fitted," in that the bars will be angled, saddle set up, the very basics. But for an actual fit with measurements, etc... no. That costs.
Old 01-29-20, 06:29 PM
aabb

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I would buy the one that rode better. For three plus thousand, that bike had better sing to me, or I'd keep looking. The Cervelo is a better buy, but what matters is how much you like riding it. Take your pedals and shoes and test ride them both.

No free fit from any of the bike shops 'round here. Yeah, they'll get you "fitted," in that the bars will be angled, saddle set up, the very basics. But for an actual fit with measurements, etc... no. That costs.
Thanks, but this is my first bike since I learned how to ride as a kid. Not only do I not have cycling shoes and pedals, I wouldn't even know what to look for when riding. What I mean is that if I experience some discomfort for e.g., I wouldn't know if that is normal as I am a beginner (and will go away once I get more rides under my belt) or if there is an actual issue.
Old 01-29-20, 08:26 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Well then. That's kind of like diving in headfirst and with both feet all at once. I'm not sure I would head out and drop 3 grand on something I don't even know I'm going to get into-- because with the bike you're going to need clothes, helmet, spares, etc, etc. Three quickly turns into four.

My first bike was around $700USD, and I literally rode it until it broke.
Old 01-29-20, 10:24 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
It's really hard to advise you at your current level of experience. You would hope that someone selling bikes likes that knows how to fit a bike, but it's a bit of a gamble.

It's pretty typical to charge for a full fitting. At most shops, the fitting with a bike is pretty cursory. My lbs will swap stems until they get that part right, I think that's pretty rare.

The isospeed looks like an interesting idea. I dont know if it's worth $800, all else being equal. I don't think it would help me much. If you feel like you need some suspension at your seat, get a thud buster.

Last edited by unterhausen; 01-29-20 at 10:28 PM.
Likes For unterhausen: