Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

New Bike Help

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

New Bike Help

Old 02-27-20, 01:42 PM
Tronzambony

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Bike Help

I wanted to ask the community for some guidance in a hardtail bike.

I have some experience riding hardtails here and there the last 15 years but never owned one.

I have become really interesting in getting one. I have a budget of 1300 max.

Would love some input or suggestions please let me know what you think.

Thanks
Old 02-27-20, 03:18 PM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
best mountain bikes under 1000

the question you pose is a rather open ended question it begets more questions.
Old 02-28-20, 06:42 AM
Hobbit712

Bikes: Gaint Rapid 2, Jamis Dragonslayer Pro, Raleigh C40

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
I am biased and new to the sport but I recently got a Jamis Dragonslayer from Jenson USA. Love it so far. It's a 2018 closeout with 26+ tires but the components are good.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Jamis-Drag...o-26-Bike-2018
Old 02-28-20, 08:39 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 594 Posts
Originally Posted by Tronzambony
I wanted to ask the community for some guidance in a hardtail bike.

I have some experience riding hardtails here and there the last 15 years but never owned one.

I have become really interesting in getting one. I have a budget of 1300 max.

Would love some input or suggestions please let me know what you think.

Thanks
Check out the Youtube channel Hardtail Party. Steve has been riding hardtails for awhile now. Not sure if the bikes he rides are in your price range though.
Old 02-28-20, 07:57 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
If you are willing to do used, can likely find some decent full suspension depending where you ride.
Old 02-28-20, 08:15 PM
Tronzambony

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
If you are willing to do used, can likely find some decent full suspension depending where you ride.
I am out in Raleigh North Carolina! I can jump my budget up to 2k max. I would love FS but from what i have been reading alot of people say to ride HT for awhile before you jump. What do you think? Any bike suggestions?
Old 02-28-20, 10:17 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
I am out in Raleigh North Carolina! I can jump my budget up to 2k max. I would love FS but from what i have been reading alot of people say to ride HT for awhile before you jump. What do you think? Any bike suggestions?

I'm not sure why people say ride a HT first. Perhaps they ride hard tails. Although both are Mountain Bikes, there are some significant differences in a hard tail and full suspension bike. Get the bike "you want" not what people say on forums and articles. Not saying some good advice can't be had by reading but my point is if you want a FS then get it. $2K budget can land you a good FS bike. Nothing worst than buying a bike you had to convince yourself to buy rover a bike you loved to have. Trust me, I know about that.
Old 02-29-20, 07:32 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Raleigh is big town, check your local bike shops for demo days in the coming month. Often bike manufacturers will sponsor a demo event by bringing in a van full of bike for prospective buyers to try.
Great why to determine which bike is right for you and usually only costs the price of letting them hold your license and/or CC.
Strong mtb culture in NC, good luck and circle back if you have questions.
Old 02-29-20, 10:21 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I can jump my budget up to 2k max. I would love FS but from what i have been reading alot of people say to ride HT for awhile before you jump. What do you think? Any bike suggestions?
Having a budget under $2k is a good reason to get a hardtail. Full suspension bikes are both more complex and usually not available in the lower spec that keeps the price down. Even budget mail order brands keep it a bit north of $2k, at least for a "real" bike (4-bar rear suspension and air ride).

Another reason is that hardtails are more adaptable to other purposes if it's your only bike. They are easier to mount cargo and more efficient on a road. The MTB-with-slicks is a commuter staple but almost none of those are full suspension. This is the main reason I've got a hard tail right now. I've been considering replacing my road bike (which is basically only good for working out) with a more hybrid or commuter style bike and then having lost that rationale I'm likely to shopping for a FS again.

A third reason is, a hardtail (or full rigid, or single speed) will help you develop better skills. This theory is one part merit (it does) but one part curmudgeon (you needed those skills more if you didn't have suspension). If you are riding somewhere with a pump track that looks like fun or trails with a lot of skinnies and ramps, yeah, but most of my riding is on single track shared with horses and dogs and their walkers, and it wasn't a consideration.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-29-20 at 10:25 AM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 02-29-20, 09:46 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
If you are looking for a trail bike I would test ride a Salsa Timberjack . You can test ride them at Oak City Cycling Project or Franks Cyclery both in Raleigh. Other Bike shops in Raleigh are quality and worth looking at.
TLC for bikes
All Star Bike Shops
Bicycle Chain
Cycle Logic
2 Trek stores
The Bike Guy in Wake Forest.