Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Hitting "The Zone"

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Hitting "The Zone"

Old 02-28-20, 10:11 PM
Chris O

Bikes: Wilier Triestina GTR SL '16; Basso Gap '93

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts
Hitting "The Zone"

30 min warmup and feeling not that great. Add some intensity and then things start moving, clicking, feeling better. Energy, and rhythm flow with sustained power, feeling great and like I can keep going and going. What is happening from an energetic, hormone, physiological standpoint? What governs the switch? Is it an energy switch from glycogen to fat stores? Sweating out the bad mojo, or something else? I've noticed this enough that, as a biologist, I am curious.

Chris
Likes For Chris O:
Old 02-28-20, 10:42 PM
Chris O

Bikes: Wilier Triestina GTR SL '16; Basso Gap '93

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts
Hitting The Zone

Posted in Road Cycling forum too. 30 min warmup and feeling not that great. Add some intensity and then things start moving, clicking, feeling better. Energy, and rhythm flow with sustained power, feeling great and like I can keep going and going. What is happening from an energetic, hormone, physiological standpoint? What governs the switch? Is it an energy switch from glycogen to fat stores? Sweating out the bad mojo, or something else? I've noticed this enough that, as a biologist, I am curious.

Chris
Old 02-29-20, 12:32 AM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Gotta be endorphins released in response to the stress on the body, innit? (says a guy with no business suggesting that he has any reliable knowledge of the physiology of the human body at all).
Likes For rousseau:
Old 02-29-20, 05:08 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,545 Times in 3,757 Posts
Merged duplicate threads. Please do not cross post.
Old 02-29-20, 06:19 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10144 Post(s)
Liked 5,833 Times in 3,141 Posts
Full vasodilation, mobilization of energy stores (too early for glycogen depletion), muscle length-tension adaptation, more efficient muscle energy utilization with temperature rise, and maybe the first squirt of cortisol? The rest is probably “in your head” and in my experience that feeling does not correlate very well with actual performance. Also, if I get that feeling after less than a couple of days of rest, I’m not training very hard.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 02-29-20, 07:40 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I've noticed the same thing and it does seem strange. It takes me 8-10 minutes to warm up on a bike and sometimes I'd feel sluggish and seriously consider aborting the ride, and then I kick it up,it lines out and an hour later I wonder what was I thinking, it feels great.

When running it's more like I expect, 2-3 minutes and my heart rate suddenly drops 20-30 bpm and it's easy again, which I attribute to warmer blood and muscles, and less restricted blood vessels allowing more oxygen to be delivered. I think something more is involved when cycling*

*what MoAlpha said makes sense. I don't think it's psychological though - maybe it's dependent on how well we're adapted to the particular activity?

Last edited by wphamilton; 02-29-20 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-02-20, 03:24 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
The better my conditioning, the longer it takes me to warm up. When I'm in really good shape, it takes about an hour. Trying to go hard before I'm really warmed up is very depleting. After, not so much. It takes about 20 minutes just for my lungs to open so I can easily breathe deep and fast. No, I don't know what's going on either for sure. My best guess is that nitric oxide production is causing my blood vessels to dilate. Of course there are also many hormones involved, See: https://www.bike.nyc/blog/news/this-...ts-of-cycling/ My guess here is that if we train consistently, our glands take longer to release these good hormones.

I know an ADHD rider who has to either ride a lot or run or go nuts.
Old 03-02-20, 05:49 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
The better my conditioning, the longer it takes me to warm up. When I'm in really good shape, it takes about an hour. Trying to go hard before I'm really warmed up is very depleting. After, not so much.
Isn't that an interesting aspect of athleticism and conditioning?

Experienced it myself, with running. Vastly better performances when warming up gradually and fully, else "very depleting" as you say. Can't say that I've ever heard another speak of it in those terms, but I certainly found it to be true in my own case.

Found that I had a limited amount of time and effort over which I could be at "near-peak" output. Better conditioning, of course, eventually resulted in greater amounts of time at such levels of output. Found, also, that if I rushed it getting to that point, rushed the warm-up and the ramp-up phase, by attempting an overall faster or harder effort, I would often end up with nothing left in the tank before the route was completed.

But if warming up slowly, slowly increasing speeds and awaiting the "right" time, and by taking an interval approach to my near-peak portion of the route (or race), I found I could have dramatically improved overall times. Even though covering much greater distances once warmup + ramp-up + high-performance portions were added up.

Go figure. But it was true. Made hard runs much more satisfying, to know how much more I could squeeze from a race when listening to the body instead of playing the "numbers" game (ie, shooting for a fixed "faster" per-mile split across the course).

Never hit it that hard on the bikes, but I can't see how it wouldn't have worked there as well, at high output levels.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 03-03-20, 11:32 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
A couple of years ago, I focused on sprint training. Old school sprinters took a long time to warm up and generally rode slowly with a gradual buildup of force compared to endurance racers. Some of the logic went like this...sprinters have more muscle mass and take longer to warmup. The shorter the race the longer the warmup.

Then the Brits come along in 2012 and did very well in the olympics. Short warmups (not much riding but rest between warmup efforts) and hot pants to keep the legs hot until they were called to race. My sprint coach wanted me to do a 12 minute accelerating warmup. Rest 5 minutes and then 3x10 second accelerations with 1' RBA. Rest 10 minutes then 30 seconds high power effort. Rest and one moderate standing start. Put on leg warmers, rest 20 minutes then race.

The goal is keep muscle freshness while warming up the energy producing systems without generating too much fatigue.

Executing the shorter warmup is as much mental as physical. A long warmup with lots of spinning feels fantastic but makes you slow. The brain loves things that feel good. The training is to get the brain used to less warmup while simultaneously getting it to allow a max effort on legs that just do not feel "as good" but in reality are very fresh and ready to generate a lot of power.

So one keeps practicing the warmup routine with workouts and races and tuning it slightly for the individual. Today, I do not need or want a long warm up. Goodbye old school and dogma.

Last edited by Hermes; 03-03-20 at 11:37 PM.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-04-20, 09:48 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
So one keeps practicing the warmup routine with workouts and races and tuning it slightly for the individual. Today, I do not need or want a long warm up. Goodbye old school and dogma.
^ IMO, that's the key.

Individuals' make-up and capability varies so widely, from what I've seen, that a given method might not work nearly as well for several in a group but be a spot-on method for some. In my case, I ran competitively for some years, and found that for middle-distance running races (whether hills/tough or flats/faster) my own body responded most effectively with the longer, relatively less-bursty type warm-up periods. Tried all methods I could, over many years. Never found another runner for whom it worked as well, among all the competitors I met over the years. Always chalked that up to "everyone's different."

Wouldn't call it "old school dogma" but would recognize that each athlete can differ greatly enough that quite significant differences in warm-up and training regimens can create widely different impacts upon performance.

May we all find what works for us, in athletics, in the end. Very satisfying.
Old 03-04-20, 10:10 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
Team Enios, formerly Team Sky, dramatically reduced the warmup time for time trials since much like sprinting. too much warmup creates fatigue and increases time. But yet another instance where long warmups produce negative results. Once again, the way we have always done it is not as effective as newer methods.

Professional and amateur teams use science and practical data to determine what training protocols athletes follow. The athletes do what the coaches say to do. That is also true for individual athletes that use coaches. We do what they say even if it at first makes us feel uncomfortable or less effective. And sometimes, it takes time for a new protocol to work versus working right away.

Of course, if an athlete sits on the top of the pyramid and always wins, then he or she is free to do what "works for them".
Old 03-04-20, 12:03 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
It's not only that individuals may have different responses to various warmup routines. My guess is that much of those differences lie in differences in events and in the individual's training for those events. So when we comment on what sort of warmup works for us, we should include what our training and target events are, exactly as Hermes has done.

My target events are long rides of between 60 and 160 miles and 3000'-10,000' of climbing. The low end of that range are really just training rides for the high end ones. I do the usual weekday training with a mix of endurance and interval days. I spend one weekend day on race simulations, i.e. group rides with friends, starting at 40 miles and going up to 70 miles, mostly done on a tandem with my wife to create increased training load. Over that, the rides are on my single because I have to do my event rides on my single now that I am older.

My warmup consists of starting out with my droogs. We gradually raise the pace and start bumping it on the hills after a bit. I lay out the courses, so I lay out ones which are favorable to my warmup strategy, and that seems to work for everyone. My long rides are all about conserving energy and titrating the pain. If I "wasted" my energy on warmups like Hermes', I'd have to drop off early. If he warmed up like I do, he'd come in way down in the standings. Back when I used to do short TT's, I'd warmup doing hill sprints since I don't own a normal trainer. That worked well enough.
Old 03-06-20, 08:43 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes

Executing the shorter warmup is as much mental as physical. A long warmup with lots of spinning feels fantastic but makes you slow. The brain loves things that feel good. The training is to get the brain used to less warmup while simultaneously getting it to allow a max effort on legs that just do not feel "as good" but in reality are very fresh and ready to generate a lot of power.

I have experienced exactly this. On those occasions, 18-19mph felt like a 22mph effort, almost like someone was holding on to my seat post or riding on flat tires. On the flip side when doing shorter/higher intensity warmups 20-21mph felt like 18mph. The above were solo rides.

In group rides where I'm in a draft, occasionally it feels like 40-60 min until I get warmed up. I attribute this to my brain getting used to being comfortable due to not working so hard.