Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First road bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

First road bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-20, 10:48 AM
GAM5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First road bike

Transitioning from a hybrid to a road bike and considering the following:

Giant Contend 1
Trek Domane AL 3

The Giant is about 150 less than the Trek. Any advise would be appreciated.
Old 03-15-20, 11:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Try to get a test ride on them for as long as they are willing to let you go. I test rode two different size frames of the same model bike yesterday for 10 miles each on a route I frequently ride with my current bikes. My perception of which size frame I liked was opposite of the ride I did in the parking lot with them the previous week.

However on a bike of that price range the shop may not have as much incentive to make certain it fits you well. I was looking at a much more expensive bike and the shops incentive to make sure I'm a happy camper is probably a consideration. And the salesman/mechanic even told me that once in casual conversation.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-15-20, 12:36 PM
GAM5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the advice but, unfortunately the manager at the Giant shop wants me to rent the bike for $60, to give it a test ride. He said he would deduct the $60 if I bought the bike and I don’t want to do that because if I end up liking the Trek better, then I’m out $60.

That’s why I was asking for advice on here. I appreciate your help.
Old 03-15-20, 12:47 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Sounds to me like you are shopping two different shops.

Other than the bikes, which shop do you like better? Whose advice regarding accessories, places to ride etc. do you think you'd value more? In the unlikely event you have a warranty issue, which shop would you rather have working for you?
Old 03-15-20, 01:09 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
$60 for a test ride!? Is there another Giant dealer in the vicinity (or not too far away-$60 can buy a good bit of gas). No first hand experience with either bike, but looks about equal spec-wise. Probably come down to fit and which shop I liked better (I already don't like the Giant dealer). If you really want to try the Giant, let the dealer know you are seriously looking to buy, but want to compare bikes, tell him that $60 for a test ride could cost him the sale. Don't know any dealers that have more sales than they can handle.

Last edited by freeranger; 03-15-20 at 01:22 PM.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 03-15-20, 01:12 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Other than the bikes, which shop do you like better? Whose advice regarding accessories, places to ride etc. do you think you'd value more? In the unlikely event you have a warranty issue, which shop would you rather have working for you?
That probably is the real thing to look at. Out of the three bike shops I went to locally, this shop was the only one I felt truly listened to me and had a two way conversation with me. The other's either perceived me as just coming in without the serious intention of buying a bike so the brushed me off, or perhaps just the fact they quickly determined they didn't have the bike I wanted in the size I needed, they didn't feel like wasting their time with me.

However, I've done business with all three in the past for incidental stuff and all have been satisfactory. Even the bikes I tested were not the bikes I'm actually buying, Wrong color and they weren't di2, so mine will be ordered after they go on sale in a week. The mechanic/salesman even clued me into waiting for a better deal. So the fact they seem to care goes a long way with me. Of the two other shops, at least one called me and ask how my shopping was going, but he still didn't have frame size I could test ride.

None of the bikes commonly sold at bike shops are bad bikes. Just maybe not the bike for you.
Old 03-15-20, 01:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by GAM5
The Giant is about 150 less than the Trek. Any advise would be appreciated.
Trek and Giant make excellent bikes. The price points for each are usually similarly equipped. So if it's down to these two, then do they both have the same number of gears? Do they have the same gear ratios? If you are in a hilly area or will have an occasional steep hill on your regular rides, you'll want a low gear combo. Likewise, going down the other side you'll wan a high gear combo, unless you are content coasting.

Wheel sets, group sets, and individual items of the group set change as you slide up and down price points of the same model line of bikes. So that should be looked at too. And when you get into the carbon frames, even the type cloth used in the build changes in the same model bike as you get more expensive.
Old 03-15-20, 02:04 PM
GAM5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, that’s some good advice from everyone. Yes, both have the same gear/group set, both are aluminum frame with carbon forks.

Although the Trek bike is a little more and that shop is a little farther away from my house (by about 12 miles, so not much), i felt better a out follow up work (maintenance, warranty, repairs, etc.).

I was leaning towards the Trek, but wanted to know if anyone knew if one was better than the other. Like I mentioned before, first road bike, transitioning from a big. I’d store hybrid.

I do appreciate all the advice received so far, and welcome any more input.
Old 03-15-20, 02:36 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Go with the shop you trust more and feel more confident with. You are going to need them a lot over the coming years.
Old 03-15-20, 04:32 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I found these: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...-al-3/p/23526/
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-1-2020

Both have full Sora drive trains, Al frames, CF forks, rim brakes.

I was shopping for a bike in this class a couple years back and investigated the Contend carefully and was really impressed. (I ultimately went with a Fuji Sportif.) Both bikes are basically carbon (and aluminum) copies .... neither is in any way better or worse. Because the Trek comes in more sizes, you might find better fit there---Unless one of Giant's sizes just happens to fit you really well (and most bikes are pretty adjustable, honestly.)

What people say about the shop is noteworthy. if a shop manager won't let me take a bike for an hour (assuming I am leaving my car And license) but is willing to rent me the bike ..... I like @freeranger's advice: "If you really want to try the Giant, let the dealer know you are seriously looking to buy, but want to compare bikes, tell him that $60 for a test ride could cost him the sale."

You can get bikes online, or about anywhere. Unless you live on the Moon, there is another Giant dealer withing the range you could cover in a day.

if you do not do your own minor mechanic work and adjusting, the shop will be useful throughout the life of the bike. if the guy isn't very friendly, then you will likely end up getting poorer service for a higher price. No reason to put up with that in a competitive market.

Also .... We all like to save money, but if you have the bike for five years, that $150 is like, eight cents per day .... I prefer the Giant (for purely non-rational reasons,) but I wouldn't buy it at that shop. and if you prefer the Trek ... the cash isn't That important.

As I said, I opted for a Fuiji. Check out these two in your price range:
Fuji Bikes | Sportif 1.5 Disc---This is close to what I got ....

Fuji Bikes | Sportif 2.1---this is closer to the Trek and Giant.

Basically, every manufacturer sells a Sora-equipped, Al-framed, Cf-fork endurance-geometry bike in this price range, and none of them are much better or worse. You could pick the bike that looks best to you and that would work just as well. Or pick the shop and buy their bike. or .... and the morality here is dicey, but so is the $60-rental crap .... ride the Giant for $60 and buy it online if you like it. You still save $60 over the Trek and don't fund the loser dealer.

Personally I would go to every shop I could get to over a couple weekends and ride a Bunch of bikes. I would look for toe overlap, riding position, I would look at how many spacers were under the stem and how far the seat post was inserted (these give an indication of how much range of adjustment you have to work with.)

Also, look at stem length and stem angle. You can buy excellent. lightweight stems for $20-$30,and you can flip the existing stem. This is another indicator of what range of rider sizes the bike can accommodate.

If you ride a bunch of bikes, you will know that in general (everyone measures their sizes a little differently) you fit best on a certain range of sizes. Either/or isn't as good because each bike could be set up differently (stem angle, spacers, etc.) so you can't get a true comparison. The more different bikes/set-ups you ride, the more you will know what you like.

I would pay attention to color .... seriously. I bought my Fuji because it was the best equipped for the money, but I was on the fence for about an hour before I decided that because it was gray (love the color) with very subtle branding, it was better than the competition, all of which had huge company logos on the down tubes Obviously i cannot see the bike while I am riding it, but it is an small added bonus that I like the way it looks. And after all .... i will be looking at this bike for probably the rest of my life, or at least a long while ... might as well like it.

And if the people in the shop treat you like you don't matter because you are buying a less-expensive bike ... walk right out,. You can get bikes all over .... it is a buyer's market. And pretty much any shop with whom I would be willing to do business will work on my bike with equal care if I bought it there or at their closest competitor's. The only thing you get from the shop where you buy it is maybe a deal on accessories and free lifetime tune-ups ... which you might have to bargain for. And after a while, you will be able to do most tune-up stuff yourself anyway ... if you can't already.

Eager to hear about how this works out ....

Last edited by Maelochs; 03-15-20 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-15-20, 09:30 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
My advice is shop a LBS you like, then select from the brands they sell. Test ride.
Likes For CommuteCommando:
Old 03-16-20, 08:42 AM
GAM5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the great advice. I will see what shop carries the Fuji, then test ride all of the bikes in my price range (will also tell the Giant shop that if I can’t ride the bike for 20 minutes without paying 60, I’ll go elsewhere) before making the final decision.

I’ll keep you all posted. Thanks again!
Likes For GAM5:
Old 03-24-20, 06:34 AM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Well, if this helps, I just purchased my first Domane . I ride a lot and have had a few bikes no doubt but one of my friends (the owner of a Trek dealership) told me just straight out that I would love it. He wasn't wrong.

It is heavier than some of my Carbon rim brake bikes but the fact that it carries disc brakes and can run wider tires makes it a pretty comfortable ride and I'll probably be a disc brake guy for the duration.

Being a bit of a mechanic I shopped CL and bought a Domane carbon 6.9, a 2016, for a very good price, I did need to change an Isospeed bearing and put on a new chain and cassette but that was easy with help from this forum and youtube.

Because of the current unstable situation (political and Covid wise) I am seeing deals on toys (all toys from boats to motorcycles) drop to some of the lowest prices imaginable and I would expect that would hold for rest of the year.

My first check out ride of this bike was about 40 miles and I didn't even notice the extra weight. The ride is soft and I was really impressed by the Di2 shifting.

I know that not all of us are into used bikes but really, I don't know the list price on this bike but my guess is I got it for 30 cents on the dollar.
Old 03-25-20, 07:05 PM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Look forward to your transition from hybrid to road bike. I did this a year ago and have really enjoyed the road bike.
Suspect you can’t go wrong with either of these bikes. Similar specs. Numerous Trek reviews indicate a need to change out the brake pads.
Personally I couldn’t buy from that particular Giant shop if they didn’t back off the $60 rental fee for a test ride but that’s just me. Try to ride both bikes at no charge if you can.
If you can spend a little more the Fuji with the Tiagra group set is worth a look.
Old 03-26-20, 08:30 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
GAM5, I like the idea of giving the Giant dealer a shot at releasing the rental fee. It is a pressure tactic that is not needed. If they don't drop the fee, go elsewhere. The shops I have worked in over the years have all encouraged lengthy test rides. Just makes sense. I have a liking for Giant bikes, but either one will do what you need it to do. Fuji is a good alternative as well.
Old 03-26-20, 08:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Don't take too long or the next model year will be out and you'll have to start your search all over.
Old 06-01-20, 03:06 PM
GAM5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Follow up: Due to the shortage and high demand for bikes, both options were not available. I ended up with the 2020 Giant Revolt 2. A gravel/road bike with the same components as the other 2. Only had it since Saturday and have close to 75 miles on it already. Love it so far. Any input on this bike is welcome. Thanks again for all the advise and recommendations.