Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Mountain Bike Brake Advice

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-01-20, 03:31 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts

This morning, at age 63 and sporting one arm, I went trail riding on a mountain bike for the first time. Although the trail had some vertical (1000 ft. over 15 miles), it was improved. The surface was gravel and hard-packed dirt - no roots. rocks or gnarlies. I had a great time.

I was riding on a borrowed bike that had not been adapted to one-handed use. On the arm side, I had the rear brake and rear derailleur. I left the triple crank in the middle ring.

If this is going to become a habit, I will get a bike with a 1 x 12 - so shifting problem solved. The brakes are a tougher question. My two road bikes with hydraulic brakes both have splitters, so front and back engage off of one lever. The only time that is a concern is braking while turning on gravel, where the front wheel has the potential to slide out. In my opinion, if I'm braking while turning on gravel on the road, that is my bad. On balance, having both brakes is a positive.

On the ride this morning, with a little bit of planning, I managed to descend and slow down enough to handle the switchbacks, although the rear locked up a slight bit. What I can't gauge is whether having the front engage as well would be a plus or minus. I am hoping that some of you, who know how to handle these beasts, could enlighten me on the trade-offs.

Thanks.

BTW: For those of you who are tempted to respond by questioning my sanity in going here at all, know that my wife beat you to it.
Old 04-01-20, 06:15 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
There is a subforum for'

Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs

just below General Discussion There is likely to be someone there who has encountered the same problem.
Old 04-01-20, 07:02 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,992 Times in 4,453 Posts
It would be hard for me to ride with only one brake on the dirt (either one) because they each have their own use. I ride technical (somewhat) trails and lot of slippery stuff. Obviously the front brake provides most of the power but when things are sketchy I rely on the rear brake more and on long descents I use a lot of rear brake to avoid sudden loss of traction on the front. It's much easier to recover a rear wheel skid than a front one.
One thing which helps with traction is I have 2.8 tires and I run 15psi in the front. Setting up the suspension soft will also help with traction.

If I was going to set it up with a splitter I wouldn't know how to bias the brakes front to rear.
If you just want to do dirt roads you could set up a gravel type bike similar to your road bike, I would assume.
If you could handle a single speed you could run a coaster brake rear and whatever you want on the front.
I guess there are multi speed hubs with coaster brakes, too.

Last edited by big john; 04-01-20 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-01-20, 08:28 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, coaster brakes. Check out the old school Clunker challenge downhill bikes. Joe Breeze and friends called those challenges "Repack" because the coaster brakes had to be repacked after every downhill run.

There are still some good internal gear hubs made with options for coaster braking. That'll take care of the rear, so the conventional front brake/lever is still available.

Best wishes and hope you find a fun bike.

Old 04-10-20, 05:27 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
This ought'a do it for you:

https://hostelshoppe.com/collections...-parking-brake
Old 04-11-20, 08:55 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
My initial thought is some type of dual lever brake actuator where the 1st two fingers can modulate the rear brake. While the next two fingers can modulate the front brake on the outer lever. Perhaps by pulling the near lever down it would eventually actuate the far/front actuator as well.

Old 04-11-20, 09:23 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
This would work, but you would need to regularly check that it is adjusted correctly.
Old 04-11-20, 09:25 PM
alo

Originally Posted by BobbyG
My initial thought is some type of dual lever brake actuator where the 1st two fingers can modulate the rear brake. While the next two fingers can modulate the front brake on the outer lever. Perhaps by pulling the near lever down it would eventually actuate the far/front actuator as well.

You could easily do this yourself by using two brake levers. You could grab, one, or the other or both, as appropriate.
Old 04-11-20, 09:30 PM
alo

I don't know about your situation like you do, but my first thought was, wouldn't you be better off with a recumbent bike, or a style of bike that makes it easier for you?
Old 04-11-20, 10:16 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
I don't know about your situation like you do, but my first thought was, wouldn't you be better off with a recumbent bike, or a style of bike that makes it easier for you?
"I don't need easy; I just need possible." -- Bethany Hamilton
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-12-20, 10:09 AM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
I would rather have a front brake than a rear one on an mtb as it does most of the braking. I don't know how much you want to spend but I'd use hydro brakes with the front on the handlebar and see if I could make $$ a rear brake lever either for your knees on the top tube or your butt as you move back off the seat on the decents.
there are hydraulic cylinders for RC applications that are small and reasonably priced and that maybe adaptable to mounting to seatpost top tube with a lever you push with your knees or butt.

For shifting Di2 can control a 2x system with one manual shifter once programed or you maybe able to adapt a remote climbing switch for the front DR to work on the same side as the shifter for the rear DR.

Good luck.
Old 04-12-20, 02:28 PM
big john

Originally Posted by alo
He rides road bikes with no problems, he wants to do some dirt. I don't see how a recumbent would solve the braking problem. Besides, recumbent mountain bike? Maybe trike Maybe he'll come back to the thread someday.
Old 04-12-20, 05:14 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
He rides road bikes with no problems, he wants to do some dirt. I don't see how a recumbent would solve the braking problem. Besides, recumbent mountain bike? Maybe trike Maybe he'll come back to the thread someday.
I'm not advocating this, but ...recumbent?

Old 04-12-20, 05:21 PM
big john

Need a wider trail for that.
Old 04-12-20, 05:28 PM
alo

I would have a lot of fun on one of those.
Old 04-12-20, 08:31 PM
big john

Originally Posted by alo
I would have a lot of fun on one of those.
I could imagine sliding around on a frozen lake with it.
Old 04-13-20, 05:55 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Sorry--I've been experiencing the shelter in place doldrums. You know the drill, bike rides, yard work, garage and basement cleaning and endless conference calls pretending like I'm working.

I'm back.

Bobby G. - great picture, thanks for the effort. Thanks to all for the tech advice as well.

I have hydraulic brakes (rim on the Emonda, disc on the Domane) on two road bikes, both with splitters so both front and rear fire simultaneously. When Trek was engineering the Domane, we tried a device called an Outbraker that works kind of like an abs system and splitter all in one. It didn't fit well in the down tube of the Domane, but would fit nicely on a mountain bike brake lever.

The double lever solution would also be great, except the fingers on my remaining hand from the middle on over don't bend .

What I was most looking for was the technical part of driving a mountain bike and whether having the front fire automatically (even when modulated with the Outbraker) would be worse than not having a front at all. For what its worth, before I went with a splitter, I rode a road bike with just a front brake for years.

I'm now 4 mountain bike rides in, and I'm thinking about going out with a kid who is a wizard. For a six pack, I'm guessing he'd do the whole thing one handed, to show me what the limits are, so I don't need to learn by experimenting