Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any Bike Builds Going On Lately?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Any Bike Builds Going On Lately?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-17, 08:00 PM
nemo57

Bikes: early '60s Hillman single speed; 1976 Hillman 14 speed; 2017 Gios Gress; 1976 Cecil Walker track bike; Cannondale Topstone Carbon Lefty

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
I've a very long way to go on this: a circa 1974 Hillman, built by George McDonald here in Melbourne. First up, the frame will be off to George's apprentice, Gordon Hill, for a bit of love and nice paint. (Gordon is not exactly a kid any more himself.)
Frame and fork weigh in at 2.6 Kg on the button. Not that component mass is a defining factor in my unsteady, fat, slow, unhealthy progress down the road. Fortunately, around here it is all downhill.
Still, I've never had such a well-pedigreed bike before, so it's quite exciting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
s-l1600-11.jpg (70.3 KB, 252 views)

Last edited by nemo57; 01-23-17 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-23-17, 09:03 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Shimano 3 vs. Sturmey 3: different indexed pulls. Fortunately, Sturmey offers stick shifters.
True. The Shimano shifter got partially disassembled by my younger brothers after the hub broke so it really isn't worth fixing. For the short term I'll stash a S/A thumb shifter on the seat tube and leave the Shimano shifter there for looks. The S/A stick shifters are quite expensive so that will wait until I find one at a price I like.
Old 01-24-17, 10:04 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
Not really a bike build, but I've been upgrading my 3yr old Bikes Direct mtn bike. First it was a Rock Shox air fork, then Shimano wheels and rotors with Shwalbe tires. This week I'm putting on a Deore groupset from Ribble.

When it's done the only stock parts will be the frame, brakes, seatpost, and the saddle.
Old 01-24-17, 11:43 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I'm just putting the final touches on a '85 Miyata FG I bought off CL for a FG conversion. It was very clean, reasonably priced, and best of all, my size!

It's been a lot of fun!
What is the crankset you used on the bike? And also, the brake blocks? I have cira 80's bike with centerpull brakes that I'm looking for good brake pad replacements.
Old 01-25-17, 06:00 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
Not really a bike build, but I've been upgrading my 3yr old Bikes Direct mtn bike. First it was a Rock Shox air fork, then Shimano wheels and rotors with Shwalbe tires. This week I'm putting on a Deore groupset from Ribble.

When it's done the only stock parts will be the frame, brakes, seatpost, and the saddle.
That sums up my winter wrenching, taking a particular bike and improving or replacing parts, tires, bar tape etc. For the past several years I have done complete builds from framesets. Anything to take away the boredom of the off season.
Old 01-25-17, 07:48 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc
What is the crankset you used on the bike? And also, the brake blocks? I have cira 80's bike with centerpull brakes that I'm looking for good brake pad replacements.

Crankset is Vuelta Pista Track. Cheap, (like me ) but works and even runs decently true. This is my second Vuelta crankset and I've been satisfied with them. Brake pads are Continental Kool Stop Salmon. Very good grip, and considered one of the best for all weather use.

Old 01-26-17, 12:06 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
I cracked my trikes frame. To their credit, Performer sent me a replacement frame at no cost. I am in the process of moving all of the parts off the old frame and onto the new one. While I am doing this I am replacing the drivetrain with a Bafang BB02 in the front (legal sized electric motor, it only applies power when being pedaled) and a NuVinci in the back.
Did you have a electric assist on the trike, and if so, do you think it was a factor - directly or indirectly - in the cracked frame?
Old 01-26-17, 03:31 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Did you have a electric assist on the trike, and if so, do you think it was a factor - directly or indirectly - in the cracked frame?
Not really related, while I was working on it I tightened a bolt too far (the manufacturer gives no torque specifications for this bolt).

Old 01-26-17, 04:07 PM
mort1369

Bikes: Raleigh USA Technium Olympian, Kona Hahanna single-speed, FUJI Espree Three Speed Fixie, Trek 720 hybrid/bike of burden, Trek 1200 ZX 'Superleggera' project, Trek 400 fixie, Cove G-Spot double-boinger. .

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Picked up a Trek 1220 ZX frame in 50 cm off eBay for $20 (including heavy chromoly fork). Am trying to turn this thing into a 'superleggera' 1220 with a carbon fork and other light goodies. .

After fitting the forks and stem. . .

And after a more complete mock-up. . .

Old 01-26-17, 08:11 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

The uglybike is finished and ready for the snow. Under the blah brown barn paint is an '80s Mongoose ATB. Pretty cool stuff. If the bike feels right maybe I'll paint it.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-26-17, 11:23 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
1. Halfway through rebuilding my wrecked commuter, Novara Randonee.
2. Just starting on an 81 Raleigh Gran Sport. Possible beater challenge entry.
3. Soon to resume paint/build of ~77 Torpado Mixte.
4. C&V trike and trailer for transport of yard debris. Need done by springtime.
Old 01-27-17, 06:25 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Not a build, but a geometry change to this old body resulted in purchasing a hybrid from Nashbar because the frame numbers lined up with what all my notes from building over the years said would be the proper fit for my more upright riding desires. The bike that fit the numbers was a WSD Diamondback Clarity 2. It came as an entry level 7 speed with the usual freewheel wheelset. In the spirit of bringing it up to "modern" standards I outfitted it with an 8 speed flat bar drive train from my now retired road bike and a new set of Shimano disc wheels and 32mm tires. I finished just before winter set in but my impression was that it was the most comfortable bike I've ridden in years. It had better be because I sold everything else and am now N=1.

The lesson was to pay attention to the numbers that fit you and not to what folks say you should ride. Years of building bikes for myself and a few friends provided all the info I needed.
Old 01-27-17, 05:36 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
The lesson was to pay attention to the numbers that fit you and not to what folks say you should ride. Years of building bikes for myself and a few friends provided all the info I needed.
Isn't that nice how that works? I'm glad the bike is working out for you and would like to see pics!
Old 01-28-17, 09:56 AM
Schwinnhead

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
80's MTB

I am building an 80's MTB. It is a polished aluminum 26" wheel frame but I do not know what brand it is yet. I will build it even if I never know the brand of the frame because it is a nice looking frame.
Old 02-27-17, 01:14 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike
I've stripped down my wife's early 90's touring/hybrid and will build it up as a commuter for my daughter to ride to middle school. It's an English Ridgeback chromoly frame, probably built by Giant (it appears to be identical to the Giant Innova frames of the same period.) My wife used to teach high school in England and she used this bike to lead tours with the school biking club, down the Rhine valley one year and across Brittany another.
Anyhow, I'm planning to strip the paint, repaint it metallic white and build it up with an Alivio groupset, Soma Noah's Arc bar and as many silver/brushed aluminum accessories as I can find. Here's the "before" pic:
Here's the finished project -- now it should be a nearly indestructible commuter for a middle schooler. In the meantime I even got around to painting the trim on the shed.
Attached Images
SofiBike.jpg (42.1 KB, 170 views)
Old 02-28-17, 08:50 PM
OldsCOOL

Presently, two builds. One is a MTB where I'm transferring all components from a wrecked bike over to a bare frameset. The other is a fixie being reverted to a 2x6. Bizzy bizzy bizzy.
Old 02-28-17, 08:52 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by Schwinnhead
I am building an 80's MTB. It is a polished aluminum 26" wheel frame but I do not know what brand it is yet. I will build it even if I never know the brand of the frame because it is a nice looking frame.
Post a pic in the C&V forum. They were quick to ID my repainted '88 Mongoose.
Old 03-01-17, 10:11 AM
Schwinnhead

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you.

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Post a pic in the C&V forum. They were quick to ID my repainted '88 Mongoose.

Thank you
Old 03-08-17, 07:25 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Just finished my 90's Bianchi 650B conversion.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...onversion.html
Good looking build and I liked the build thread. I have a frame hanging in my workshop that I'm thinking about doing a 650b conversion. The measurements work out on the bike but I don't have any 650b wheels and tires lying around to make sure. It's a 1979 Trek TX 510 (which was more of a touring model but with calipers); it's a nice bike. Or I could just build it up with 700 x32 tires and call it a day. Frankly that would be an easy build. I have the parts on hand to build it up 3 x 5 with pretty much period correct parts.

Last edited by bikemig; 03-08-17 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-08-17, 08:16 AM
OldsCOOL

I run a little bike rental and repair shop on the side. Last night I finished the build on an '89 Raleigh PRE (my former ride) reverting the fixie back to normal life. Today I need to swap a BB into the '88 Mongoose "Ugly 'Goose", my winter bike. Last week there was a fleet build on an '02 Trek 820, basically a component swap. Bizzy Bizzy Bizzy.
Old 03-08-17, 10:37 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'm collecting parts for a modern carbon gravel build.

Niner RLT 9 RDO, Ultegra Di2 compact road gearing, mountain bike wheels, etc.

Build should begin in two or three weeks.

-Tim-
Old 03-18-17, 11:32 AM
MarioT

Bikes: 1998 Trek 8000SL, 2013 Madone 3.1, 2016 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a set of custom wheels built using Easton Arc24 rims and Hope Pro4 hubs, to replace the OEM set. I also converted to 1x10 set-up, using an Absolute Black 30T oval chainring and Sunrace 11-42 cassette to replace the 2x10 setup. Going 1x meant I was able to get a more ergonomic lever for the dropper seat post. I can't wait for biking season to arrive... I can't afford the off-season anymore. :-)
Hopefully it'll be here soon so I can try out all this wonderful gear.

Old 03-18-17, 07:19 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
I was given a Kona Jake the Snake CX bike by a friend. It had been sitting in his basement for several years, so it's needing a wee bit of TLC.
105 group set, all parts in good condition. I thought the shifters were going to need the old WD40 flush, but after working them a bit, they freed right up.
The hubs needed servicing, and the spoke nipples looked pretty grungy, so I decided to rebuild the wheels. Got them unlaced, and further decided I would add a bit of colour to the bike.The headset is white, so I'm going to powder coat the hub shells white to match. I will powder coat the spokes as well, but have not decided on a colour yet.The friend who gave me the bike is an artist, so I will ask for his suggestion on that.
The rest of it, bottom bracket and headset seem to be fine, so I think I'll just leave them alone for now.
The frame is on the small side, but I'm sure I can adapt it with a long enough seat post and a stem swap if necessary.
Old 03-18-17, 08:21 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Niner RLT 9 RDO with Di2 for gravel...

Last edited by TimothyH; 03-18-17 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-21-17, 06:39 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
To bring some closure to my first post here, the Tommasini is now complete, and is riding very nicely. I managed to find the components very close to the original specifications, Except for a few concessions to cost.

The brakes are a minor discrepancy, the calipers are Nuovo Record rather than the Super Record The brake levers are Victory/Triomphe blades, very close to the Super Record blades. The frame had been overly faced on the bottom bracket shell for the drive side, I added two 1mm spacers to being everything into alignment.

The wheels, I hand built them myself, used a set of Nuovo Record low flange hubs, rims are Mavic GP4 red label and spokes are new DT Swiss. Tires are Vittoria Rally tubulars. The cockpit is a Cinelli stem and 3ttt bars. Saddle is a Selle San Marco Concor Corsa Superlegerra, in black leather.

Its probably a C+ in the appearance department, but no rust or other serious problems are present, and it is a regular rider, I usually alternate days with the Medici A few finished pics are attached, a place holder saddle is shown here.
Attached Images
IMG_0495.jpg (101.7 KB, 98 views)
IMG_0506.jpg (100.0 KB, 96 views)

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 03-21-17 at 06:45 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.