Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cigars and cycling.....hmmmm

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-18, 08:59 PM
dhender02

Bikes: Felt Z85 & Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

I may have finally convinced a friend that enjoys a good stogie or two on the weekends to start cycling. However, he asked could he continue to enjoy a stogie or two on the weekends if he started cycling consistently. My initial response was "..you're a grown a$$ man you can do as you please, just don't light up your stogie while riding!!" After our hearty chuckle, he restated the question as would he have to give up cigars to perform optimally as a cyclist, similar to how people that smoke cigarettes stop smoking once they consistently start participating in an endurance type activity, i.e. jogging, swimming, cycling, etc. I told him, I didn't think a stogie or two on the weekends was a big deal as far as impacting him cycling, but to google it because I really didn't know the correct answer. So out of curiosity I decided to google myself, but I was unable to find a definitive answer. Actually the answers were all across the board, from stop smoking at all cost to smoking 1-2 cigars a day are statistically insignificant to health risk.

So anyway, I was wondering do any of you have experience with enjoying a stogie and it's impact your cycling ability? Really, just asking for a friend.
Old 06-02-18, 09:25 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Smoking 2 cigars a week isn't going to put much of crimp in recreational cycling.

Old 06-02-18, 09:33 PM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
LOL!!!! Ahh heck, I should have told my buddy he could light up and ride simultaneously if he like!!!
Old 06-02-18, 09:40 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
No smoking until after the race!
Old 06-02-18, 09:49 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Smoking is disgusting. Quit whether you cycle or not. If you cycle then use the money for nice tires.

That's what I would have said.

-Tim-
Old 06-02-18, 10:15 PM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Smoking is disgusting. Quit whether you cycle or not. If you cycle then use the money for nice tires.

That's what I would have said.

-Tim-
I've been trying for a while to get him to ride so I didn't want to give him a "red or blue" pill type response. My thought pattern is once he starts riding consistently the cycling habit will replace the stogie habit.....
Old 06-02-18, 10:15 PM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
No smoking until after the race!
Right!!
Old 06-02-18, 10:17 PM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Smoking 2 cigars a week isn't going to put much of crimp in recreational cycling.

LOL!!!! Ahh heck, I should have told my buddy he could light up and ride simultaneously if he like!!!
Old 06-03-18, 12:38 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dhender02
Other factors are likely to be more important for his cycling abilities. We had one smoker in our club who stopped every 10 miles or so to light another cigarette. At least it gave most of the rest of us a chance to catch up to him.
Old 06-03-18, 04:17 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I may have finally convinced a friend that enjoys a good stogie or two on the weekends to start cycling. However, he asked could he continue to enjoy a stogie or two on the weekends if he started cycling consistently. My initial response was "..you're a grown a$$ man you can do as you please, just don't light up your stogie while riding!!" … Actually the answers were all across the board, from stop smoking at all cost to smoking 1-2 cigars a day are statistically insignificant to health risk.

So anyway, I was wondering do any of you have experience with enjoying a stogie and it's impact your cycling ability? Really, just asking for a friend.
I can’t quote statistics (or have the time to look them up), if that’s how one wants to live their life, but I believe the health problems that might be caused by cigars would be oropharyngeal carcinogenesis, i.e mouth and throat cancer, especially if enjoyed with alcohol.
Originally Posted by Firesign Theater
"Gentlemen! Port and cigars in the War Room. Lord Bushner will join us, presently."
As I understand, cigar smokers don’t inhale as do cigarette smokers, affecting pulmonary function.

BTW, did he seek your advice as a cyclist or health professional and are you similarly seeking advice from BF as cyclists or doctors? Just sayin".

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-03-18 at 04:44 AM. Reason: added Firesign Theater quote
Old 06-03-18, 04:30 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I've been trying for a while to get him to ride so I didn't want to give him a "red or blue" pill type response. My thought pattern is once he starts riding consistently the cycling habit will replace the stogie habit.....
I guess this makes sense.

Good luck.

-Tim-
Old 06-03-18, 06:40 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
It'll always be his decision if he wants to give up cigars to further his cycling or not. Just be sure to have him keep his disgusting drug habit away from healthy people like you.
Old 06-03-18, 06:59 PM
nemo57

Bikes: early '60s Hillman single speed; 1976 Hillman 14 speed; 2017 Gios Gress; 1976 Cecil Walker track bike; Cannondale Topstone Carbon Lefty

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
It's not essential to give up all other vices to enjoy our masochistic pleasures. I can say with some authority that he will suffer more on the climbs than healthier specimens. But there is a perverse enjoyment also in appalling the self-righteous by lighting up on reaching the peak. As a practical matter, in the interests of weight minimisation he might consider limiting his riding kit to a couple of cheroots and a hip flask of fine brandy.
Old 06-03-18, 07:53 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I may have finally convinced a friend that enjoys a good stogie or two on the weekends to start cycling. [...] So anyway, I was wondering do any of you have experience with enjoying a stogie and it's impact your cycling ability? Really, just asking for a friend.
I'll have a cigar every now and then, sometimes with cycling friends. The beer and other alcoholic beverages we drink while smoking are probably more detrimental to our performance than the cigars are, as are the snacks that sometimes go with them. Many ignorant folk think there is no significant difference between cigars and cigarettes, but typically cigars are not inhaled, whereas cigarettes are. In other words, cigar smokers generally do not take the smoke into their lungs, but rather into their mouth and throat, and sometimes their sinuses. Though a cigar contains much more nicotine than a cigarette, cigar smokers typically ingest much less nicotine from smoking a cigar (relative to a cigarette) because the surface area of the mouth and throat is far smaller than the surface area of the lungs.

It should go without saying that a good cigar is to be savored and enjoyed, so I don't smoke while riding, nor do I know anyone who does. I might ride in the morning and relax with a cigar in the evening, but not mid-ride or whatever. Likewise, I don't enjoy fine whisky or port during a ride. There is a time and a place for everything.

Overall, the health benefits derived from cycling regularly will far outweigh the risks incurred by cigar smoking in moderation, but every adult is responsible for managing their own risks.
Old 06-03-18, 09:51 PM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyThePinhead
I'll have a cigar every now and then, sometimes with cycling friends. The beer and other alcoholic beverages we drink while smoking are probably more detrimental to our performance than the cigars are, as are the snacks that sometimes go with them. Many ignorant folk think there is no significant difference between cigars and cigarettes, but typically cigars are not inhaled, whereas cigarettes are. In other words, cigar smokers generally do not take the smoke into their lungs, but rather into their mouth and throat, and sometimes their sinuses. Though a cigar contains much more nicotine than a cigarette, cigar smokers typically ingest much less nicotine from smoking a cigar (relative to a cigarette) because the surface area of the mouth and throat is far smaller than the surface area of the lungs.

It should go without saying that a good cigar is to be savored and enjoyed, so I don't smoke while riding, nor do I know anyone who does. I might ride in the morning and relax with a cigar in the evening, but not mid-ride or whatever. Likewise, I don't enjoy fine whisky or port during a ride. There is a time and a place for everything.

Overall, the health benefits derived from cycling regularly will far outweigh the risks incurred by cigar smoking in moderation, but every adult is responsible for managing their own risks.
Thanks for your response!! This is what I thought, just wasn't able to state it as eloquently as you.. I will definitely pass this along to him...

Last edited by dhender02; 06-04-18 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-06-18, 11:13 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Smoking a cigar once or twice a week is not a problem.
Old 06-07-18, 10:19 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Cigarettes stink.
Cigars stink.
E-cigs stink.
Smokeless tobacco stinks. Etc.
Old 06-07-18, 07:58 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Old 06-08-18, 06:16 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts

This picture came to mind when seeing the topic title. I had lost the pic over the years and what do you know it pops up again.
Old 06-10-18, 07:06 AM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Lets not forget Cipollini
Old 06-11-18, 09:45 AM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I enjoy a cigar on the weekends, especially when the weather is hot. I have decent little man cave with A/C and some ventilation. I personally don't think it affects my riding much at all. I don't even smoke every weekend though. Maybe 2 or times a week. Like's been said already, enjoying a good cigar isn't something you do quickly so I only have one when I know I can commit the hour or so to it and enjoy an adult malted beverage along with it.
Old 06-18-18, 08:48 AM
KenR

Bikes: 2017 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, 2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2016 Trek 7.4FX hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After a long ride I occasionally enjoy a cup of coffee and cigar (once I’ve rehydrated) on my front porch as a reward for a job well done.
Old 06-18-18, 02:33 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I smoke 4-6 cigars a year and don't worry about it. I also don't worry about how fast I am. I'd probably smoke more but given it takes a half hour or more to smoke one, I just don't have that many opportunities.
Old 06-18-18, 08:08 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Reality check: Like cigarettes, cigars are a health hazard. And, also like cigarettes, they are addictive.
I smoked cigarettes for a few years long ago - last one was in 1975. Every once in a while the thought pops into my head that it would be pleasant to smoke one. That's kind of scary. And an indication of how addictive tobacco is.
https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/...-fact-sheet#q5

Last edited by JanMM; 06-18-18 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-18-18, 11:30 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Real hand rolled cigars every now and then more than likely aren't going to effect your friends cycling. Riding in the city behind a diesel bus or truck more than likely is harder on their lungs. It is not necessary to inhale cigars they are made with subtle taste notes and take 30 minutes to an hour to smoke. They are more than likely not at toxic as the alcohol that is consumed at the same time. Alcohol is a toxin and has to be metabolized by the liver. Like a Beer or whiskey after a ride?

If the friend gets into cycling enough they might give up cigars but not necessarily. Cigar smoking is a whole different habit from cigarettes. To some it is a lifestyle like drinking fine wine. A box of Arturo Fuente Opus X cigars can cost $1450.00.

Tell your friend that they have to give up Cigars, alcohol, soda, cookies, red meat and pie and you will be cycling without your friend.