Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

A Gentler Sunscreen for Face?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-07, 11:06 AM
David in PA

Bikes: Cannondale C400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since I moved to Florida, I use sunscreen on my face more than ever when cycling. Now it seems my face is blotchy, especially around the temples and forehead. I must be allergic to this stuff. I have experienced skin allergies before. Once I put vitamin E goo on my leg to hopefully help heal a wound, but doing that was a big mistake. My allergic reaction was so severe that I know have some permanent scarring.

Does anyone know of an effective sunscreen that may not cause allergic reactions or similar problems on the face?

Thanks,
David in FL
Old 02-06-07, 11:28 AM
mudskipper99

Bikes: 2001 Schwinn Mesa Gsx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also developed an allergy to sunscreen. My face swelled up really big, turned red, and it was very itchy. Now I use Neutrogena sunblock, and it seems to work for me. I use Neutrogena lotion also, since it is more skin friendly. I have rosacea, so I have to use fragrence free and dye free soaps and lotions. My dermatoligist recomended Neutrogena and also Eucerin. Dont know if Eucerin comes in a sunscreen. Ive been looking for it.
Old 02-06-07, 02:46 PM
Toml

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Johnson & Johnson's Purpose as a daily screen/after shave lotion. Add Dermatone SPF 36 when boating and cycling.
Old 02-06-07, 04:08 PM
kesroberts

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oil of olay w/sunscreen is gentle and doesn't sting the eyes. yes I'm a guy. learned about this from my brother-in-law who fishes alot.
Old 02-06-07, 09:39 PM
Bob N.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kesroberts
oil of olay w/sunscreen is gentle and doesn't sting the eyes. yes I'm a guy. learned about this from my brother-in-law who fishes alot.
+1

I'm a fair-skinned redhead and the Olay goes on above the neck with junky, greasy, regular sunscreen for legs, arms, etc. It's very nice, but I don't know about alergies though.