Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

How to Tour on a Bacchetta Strada?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 02:50 PM
David in PA

Bikes: Cannondale C400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I have done extensive touring using my mountain/comfort bike, but now I want to try it using my Bacchetta Strada. I would like to go from Melbourne, FL to PA (Philly burbs).

I have several questions for experienced Strada touring cyclists (or anyone who has toured on a high-racer bent):

* Recommendations for racks (front, rear, under seat)?

* Pannier recommendations? On my MTB, I used Ortlieb Classics in the front and larger REI bags in the rear.)

* What did you use to keep your route maps handy and in-sight? It appears a handlerbar bag (with a window for maps), which I used on my MTB, cannot be attached to the Strada's handlebars.

* Is it feasible to do fully-loaded tour (carrying campgear, cooking gear, etc.) on a Strada?

* I currently have ultra-thin tires, which seem testy for a long tour with lots of gear. Which tires would you recommend.

* Any other suggestions, tips, tricks, etc. would be great to hear about.

Thanks!
David in Florida

Last edited by David in PA; 02-08-08 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-08-08, 11:39 AM
Giro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have not done so, you should go to both BentRider Online (click Message Board on the home page to get to the Forums) and Bacchetta's own web site. Some searching on these sites and a similar posting should get you lots of information on specifics such as how large a tire can be mounted on a Corsa, rack types and locations, map holders, bags, trailers, etc.

I know you need to pay attention to weight distribution lest you get too much on the back wheel and impair bicycle handling.
Old 02-09-08, 12:26 AM
yangmusa

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did a long bent tour a few years ago, and the best I could do with the map was tuck it in an external pocket on the under seat bag. I used the Radical Alfa Side Bags, size L. I was riding a Nazca Paseo, which has a quite laid back seat angle, and these bags worked really well - kept the weight low - and the bike handled great.

Bacchetta sell both rear racks and underseat racks - you'll probably need both, unless you're good at packing light!

Go with the fattest tires you can fit! I don't have a Bacchetta myself, so couldn't tell you. Like the first response suggested - check out bentrideronline.com
Old 02-19-08, 11:33 AM
palmersperry

Bikes: Focus Culebro, Corratec X-Vert Motion & Bacchetta Giro26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode from Land's End to York last year on a Bacchetta Giro20 (okay, so not quite a high racer!) and carried all my luggage in just a single Radical Large Rackbag. Of course, it probably helped that I was sleeping in 'Bed & Breakfasts' rather than camping, and completed the trip in 5 days ...

Coupling the rackbag with the previously recommended sidepods should enable a reasonable increase in luggage capability though.

A upright-style barbag isn't going to work, but you should be able to find / make some form of small clipboard that you can mount on the bars to hold your maps/directions?
Old 02-19-08, 03:32 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
AFAIK 650C tires only go up to 28mm. That would be the minimum width I'd consider for loaded touring. Othewise, you'll have to convert to 559 wheels.
Old 02-19-08, 07:47 PM
fthrud
spaghetti farmer

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto, I've done a bit of touring on my hybrid, made the move to a Giro 20 last month. On my old bike, I swore by the Schwalbe Marathon Plus's, but am still riding the stock Kendra's on my Giro...not sure if I'll upgrade right away, I'll fess to not researching in depth yet. I've got the Bacchetta 'Big Bag' that's 800 cubic inches, it's possible that's all I'll need for credit card touring, although I may engineer a way to hang my Trek Interchange panniers or a small backpack beneath the Big Bag - trying to stay as aerodynamic as a clyde can be. Fortunately I don't have to consider camping gear, my notion of a vacation includes clean sheets and hot water every night.

Do you have your route planned out? I live in Sarasota, and rode to MLB a couple months back. I'm going to drive back to MLB and pick up where I left off, heading for NC in April. Hopefully will do the Atlantic Coast...or a US perimeter tour....two weeks at a time. (damn mortgage and job get in the way of doing it all at once.)

Anyway, from MLB to JAX is easy, but then ACA does a jagged route to the West while I was hoping to hug the coast. While not ultra critical, I also want to use my Marriott points as often as possible. My daughter's in Savannah, so that's a necessary waypoint. Do you do CGOAB? If you post a journal, let us know the link.
Old 03-02-08, 06:11 PM
David in PA

Bikes: Cannondale C400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fthrud
Do you have your route planned out? I live in Sarasota, and rode to MLB a couple months back. I'm going to drive back to MLB and pick up where I left off, heading for NC in April. Hopefully will do the Atlantic Coast...or a US perimeter tour....two weeks at a time. (damn mortgage and job get in the way of doing it all at once.)

Anyway, from MLB to JAX is easy, but then ACA does a jagged route to the West while I was hoping to hug the coast. While not ultra critical, I also want to use my Marriott points as often as possible. My daughter's in Savannah, so that's a necessary waypoint. Do you do CGOAB? If you post a journal, let us know the link.
I would use the Adventure Cycling maps. Although not perfect, I've been happy with their maps for PA, NJ, and the TransAm, part of which I road in 2005 (PA to CO). Honestly, I don't know what CGOAB is. Yes, if I post a journal, I'll post the link.

Thanks!
David in FL
Old 03-03-08, 10:47 AM
bentcruiser

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For high mileage self-contained touring, I would suggest the Schwalbe Marathon or Marathon Plus. Also, I would consider getting wheels that have at least 36 spokes (unless yours already do).

Another tire you might try is the Marathon Supreme.