Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Day 2 Natchez Trace Parkway

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-20, 07:56 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

93 miles from Collinwood, TN to Tupelo, Mississippi. Perfect riding weather today. Not quite as many hills so made a little better time. My wife added an additional rest stop for me this afternoon and it worked out perfectly. The three stops helped me feel a lot fresher at the end of the ride. Or maybe it was the Coke plus a Mt Dew?

Today included riding in 3 States, Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi. I had ridden in both Tennessee and Alabama before but this is my first time riding in Mississippi. They must have repaved the Parkway in upper Mississippi. It was super smooth all the way in to Tupelo.

Okay......just imagine that the 298 milepost below says “300”.....I remember seeing marker 302 and thinking it’s just two more miles until I stop at marker 300 for a photo of the 100 mile markers. Then my mind started wandering and the next thing you know I’m saying to myself I think I’ve already passed marker 300???? Oh well.......I guess the riding was so enjoyable I my mind went to another place. (I did think about riding back but my wife was waiting ahead)

Tomorrow is looking like 107 miles to Koscuiko, MS with high temperatures around 87 degrees! Oh boy.

I’m hearing there’s a “Delta Dawn” in the gulf which could impact my last day. Right now the forecast is indicating 50 mph winds after I finish riding Friday night. Geez. We were at the beach when the Cat 1 landed in NC in August. And we rode through two days of rain from Sally in September. These things are following me around!

I tried my turkey calling but they walked away from me?

Interesting history lesson

State #2 for today

Long bridge across the Tennessee River

Start of the crossing

Highest point of the bridge

State #3 for today!

Nice cotton field

Mile Marker 300 for the mentally challenged!

Last edited by jppe; 10-06-20 at 08:05 PM.
Likes For jppe:
Old 10-06-20, 08:10 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Old 10-06-20, 08:19 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Nice!

Some years ago I was riding the Trace, nearing the Nashville end at twilight. Another cyclist was ahead of me, just barely in sight. Ahead, I saw a coyote trot out into the road, pause, and sniff the air. No doubt checking out the scent from the cyclist who had just passed. It lingered in the road, sniffing and looking ahead, until it heard me coming. Then it quickly trotted off the road and into the woods.

One of my memorable cycling moments.

The Trace is a national treasure.
Old 10-06-20, 08:56 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Keep them coming looks like a great ride.