Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ridiculous but I have to ask

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-11, 02:46 AM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a full Ultegra 6700 triple gruppo that I would like to be able to use as a double of either flavor as well. The $500 question is will this require procuring a set of ST-6700 double specific shifters. I plan to replace the FD, obviously, and possibly the RD though the latter has advantages in cassette size for a double. I have some credible reason to believe it is possible here. In the specs panel it lists double/triple in the front shifting column.

I was aware of Campy having this capability but not Shimano. In my defense this is my first modern road bike and Dura Ace 7400 was formerly the most current shifting I had used. If this is merely a matter of setting the FD to only have cable tension in two of settings before being ineffectively slack please feel free to point out that it is just that simple. Thank you and crossing my fingers I can really get by with just changing a derailleur and cranks.
Old 01-29-11, 04:46 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
An interesting question.

Shimano's 9-speed brifters were listed as double or triple capable. I owned a 9-speed equipped Ultegra equipped tandem and road bike that used identical shifters. The shifters actually had 4 shift positions. On the double I got two shift positions for each chainring. On the triple, the middle ring had two shift positions and the other two rings had one each. I also had flight Deck computers on both bikes that always indicated the right chainring so I'm sure that's the way Shimano intended for them to be set up.

Now the question: What's different about shifters that are either double or triple specific? If it was my bike I'd try to set up the double crankset with the shifters that I have and see if I could make it work to my satisfaction. If it does - great. You just saved $500.00. If it doesn't - oh well - but at least you've learned another lesson in the sometimes mysterious world of bike mechanics. It's the kind of thing that I'd willingly do on a personal bike but I wouldn't try on a customer bike.
Old 01-29-11, 05:12 AM
catonec 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was running a double record crank w/ a 105 triple shifter and a 105 triple fd. the limiting screws are the key. The shifter takes like 3 or 4 clicks to move onto the big ring but thats ok because then you can trim for all rear positions.
Old 01-29-11, 10:42 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Shimano's 9-speed brifters were listed as double or triple capable. I owned a 9-speed equipped Ultegra equipped tandem and road bike that used identical shifters. The shifters actually had 4 shift positions. On the double I got two shift positions for each chainring. On the triple, the middle ring had two shift positions and the other two rings had one each. I also had flight Deck computers on both bikes that always indicated the right chainring so I'm sure that's the way Shimano intended for them to be set up.
You should have had two shift positions for the inner ring with 6510 brifters (mine do for sure). Check out this pdf:

https://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...20Function.pdf
Old 01-29-11, 11:13 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
You should have had two shift positions for the inner ring with 6510 brifters (mine do for sure). Check out this pdf:

https://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...20Function.pdf
Somebody else mentioned another shift porition to me sometime in the past but my levers don't have it.

My bikes are 10+ years old and I'm perfectly happy with the way they work now. Why would I care about a trim shift position for the granny ring? I only ever used it with the 2 largest rear cogs. I don't know the exact part number for my shifters and I don't care enough to find it.
Old 01-29-11, 05:19 PM
xB_Nutt
Get on your bikes & ride!

Bikes: See signature (it varys day to day)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This says you can't run a 6703 triple shifter as a double: (Notes in the top left corner)
https://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830702960.pdf

I run my 9 speed shifter as a double and have run it as a triple. When running it as a double, I just use what would be the granny to middle ring shift position. Still has trim positions for both inner and outer rings and the cable tension keeps it from shifting into the middle to outer ring as it would set up for a triple. Not sure why you can't do that with the 6700 series...
Old 01-29-11, 05:40 PM
Getaway

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
will send a PM sorry

Last edited by Getaway; 01-29-11 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-29-11, 06:42 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Getaway
I have a compact double group 6700 that is almost brand new. I would like to trade for a triple group Would you be interested.
Sent you a PM about the proper place to instigate trades and/or sales. Welcome to the forum.

Nutt, I read that as well and decided to ask here for the following reasons. There seems to be opposing messages which may mean the legal department required very specific language in the tech doc. Manufacturer statements are rarely true in weight or the capabilities of product. Someone on here just might have found the easy work around to removing the limitation on being triple only by having an in depth knowledge of the product and its design. Racers and mechanics both come to see the the true engineering of the working parts. Not just if it matches with this years frame and bar tape combo. I live up North so I have a few months of Winter left to tackle such academic subjects. Having a brand new triple gruppo in reserve is certainly not going to hurt to badly if i decide to go for one of the flavors of doubles.
Old 01-31-11, 04:12 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When Shimano says "these aren't compatible", it may mean that they won't work together, but it also may mean that they weren't designed and tested to work together - in which case they might work fine but they do so "accidentally".

So if you've got them in hand, try it out.

- Will Rogers